Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I'm constantly missing calls/alarms on my 650 because the vibrate is almost pathetically weak. How tricky would it be to open up and reshape/replace the vibrating thing? I'm happy opening stuff up and have already found the takeapart images on this site:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=84979

but I can't see the vibrate unit - whether it's accessible and/or removable.

I'd even happily shape my own unit out of a lump of metal if it came to it. But I'd like to know whether it's worth opening the 650 up and voiding the warranty first!

-zoara-
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    My guess is you are saying it is pathetically weak because of the holster or whatever you are using to hold it. I have used a Seidio holster & never had a problem with the vibration. As someone once pointed out to me, the phone needs something to vibrate against.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3013
    ...As someone once pointed out to me, the phone needs something to vibrate against.
    Man, is it ever LOUD when I put it on a kitchen counter!
    Try one of these. Alot easier than tearing into your phone.

http://www.pluscellular.com/fonepen1.htm
    You might have a problem with your phones specific buzzer, mine buzzes so fricken hard it's actually annoying. I wish you could tone it down a bit. I do notice though which case I have it in makes a big difference.

TS
  6.    #6  
    My guess is you are saying it is pathetically weak because of the holster or whatever you are using to hold it. I have used a Seidio holster & never had a problem with the vibration. As someone once pointed out to me, the phone needs something to vibrate against.
    It's in my pocket, it vibrates against my leg.

My solution so far is to jam the entire contents of all my pockets (wallet, tissues, keys etc) into the same pocket of my Treo before I fall asleep, thus pressing it hard enough against my leg that I can feel it enough to wake me.

Might I have a dodgy vibrate? It's not as strong as my Nokia 6510. I could try some out in shops, I guess; my memory of trying some out a few months ago is that mine is as vibratey as the others.

To be honest I don't know how anyone could feel it vibrate if it were in a holster - too little contact with my body for me to actually feel it!

-zoara-
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    When I have mine in anything other than a Seido holster, I miss 9 out of 10 alarms/calls/etc. Although it wears down the corners a bit, it is the best IMO.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=74

Note I do not receive any kickbacks, commissions, etc. on this recommendation.
    UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    why are you sleeping in your pants? and why not turn on the ringer when sleeping if you need to wake?
    More importantly... why are you sleeping in your pants with your Treo in them?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Maybe he likes the vibration in his ... oh forget it...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    More importantly... why are you sleeping in your pants with your Treo in them?
    I was thinking the SAME thing

TS
    I'd try to compare it to another treo to see if yours is possibly defective. Mines pretty freaking strong.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Most of my slacks have a small pocket inside the bottom of the right front pocket. It is designed for change (not quite like the one on jeans). In every pair of slacks I own the treo (no case) fits in that small pocket within a pocket perfectly. It is held against my leg and I easily feel it vibrate.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DAGGZ
    UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    why are you sleeping in your pants?
    Because my fellow passengers would probably complain if I slept naked on the bus or the train.

and why not turn on the ringer when sleeping if you need to wake?
    Because:
    a) I usually have headphones on (I fall asleep to music).
    b) Even if I didn't have headphones on, I probably wouldn't wake up to the alarm thanks to the background noise of the aforementioned bus/train and my very deep sleeping.
    c) I consider having an alarm beeping away loudly enough to wake me up very inconsiderate to my fellow passengers.

When I'm asleep in my bed, of course I use the sound function. But I'm not asking for advice on how best to wake myself up, I'm asking for advice on how to make the vibrate stronger.

-zoara-
  15.    #15  
    When I have mine in anything other than a Seido holster, I miss 9 out of 10 alarms/calls/etc. Although it wears down the corners a bit, it is the best IMO.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=74

Note I do not receive any kickbacks, commissions, etc. on this recommendation.
    Thankyou, but there's no way I'm carrying a phone in a holster. I have a feeling that holsters are more socially acceptable in America than in Britain, where I am. It's just not done, not since the "look how rich I am with my mobile phone!" nineties anyway.

Anyway, I'd rather have my phone in my pocket. Safer, more comfortable, less chance of damage, and more obvious when it's missing. And I'm still confused as to how you can feel the vibrate better through a holster than through direct in-pocket contact (but I believe you!).

Ta,

-zoara-
    What are you using for the alarm? I know that both Butler and Calendar ring through the headphones (and quite loudly too).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  17.    #17  
    What are you using for the alarm? I know that both Butler and Calendar ring through the headphones (and quite loudly too).
    I'm not using an audio alarm, as I won't hear it. I've usually fallen asleep listening to my iPod when I want waking up... or I simply don't want to annoy my fellow bus/train passengers with irritating electronic beeps!

The only time I'll use an audible alarm is when I'm at home. If I'm at work or in public, it will be on vibrate, so as not to annoy my fellow humans. Or rather, it would be on vibrate, except I never feel it.

-zoara-
    I see... I didn't realize you were listening to music on a different device... I assumed when you said headphones that they were plugged into the Treo. In that case... doesn't the iPod have an alarm?

Note: I'm just thowing out other options, as I'm wary of messing with my Treo's innards.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  19.    #19  
    Oh, I nearly forgot. I did end up pulling my Treo apart. Attached is an image of the vibrate unit of my Treo 650 (right) compared to the vibrate unit of a Nokia 6510 (left). Apologies for lack of focus!

Note how the Nokia's unit is both heftier and more off-centre than the Treo's, which would result in a stronger vibrate if the phones were the same weight. But they aren't; including battery the Nokia is 85 grams and the Treo is more than double at 175 grams.

So it's a smaller, lighter unit with a more central centre of gravity trying to vibrate a phone that's much heavier! No wonder I can't feel it.

It looks like there is room to carve out some space inside the plastic shell, in order to add a heftier weight. It even looks possible to flip the orientation of the vibrator to give plenty of headroom but it might foul on the circuitry. I'll have to find myself a suitable piece of metal and make some careful measurements.

I didn't take photos, but the vibrator lives in the little space between the battery and the hotsync cable connector; that entire area is just taken up by the vibrate unit and the headphone socket, so there's a fair amount of dead space. It's just working out how to make use of it.

-zoara-
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #20  
    I see... I didn't realize you were listening to music on a different device... I assumed when you said headphones that they were plugged into the Treo.
    No worries, I didn't make it obvious. Sorry!

In that case... doesn't the iPod have an alarm?
    Yes, but (stupidly) the sound comes out of the unit, not out of the headphones. And it doesn't sound when I'm listening to music.

Anyway, I'm not always listening to music, I was just giving an example to demonstrate. I might be in a meeting, or in the cinema, or simply chatting to friends; I want my alerts discreet, because I find a BEEP BEEP in the middle of a conversation to be irritating (whether it's mine or someone else's).

In short, I want a vibrate I can feel better. I have a thousand and one reasons why, but they're not important. I just want a stronger vibrate.

Note: I'm just thowing out other options, as I'm wary of messing with my Treo's innards.
    That's appreciated; fortunately, I'm not (it's the sort of thing I do for a living) but I wanted to know whether someone else had done it before I dived in. Looks like I'm the first, so when I'm done I will take pictures and report back!

-zoara-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast