Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Updated Nov 21, 2005. Have updated list to include a Verzon 1.04 ROM, Custom 5 - Loaded, by Gordy. See post for apps added.

Updated Nov 18, 2005. Several file links updated. Verizon files updated.

Updated Nov 14, 2005. Additional links complete. Added instructions-links for bootstrap, VerminGuy loop solution, forums, knowledge-base and knowledge base articles, more info on Shadowmite site. etc. Done for now.

Updated Nov 13, 2005: Last major update until the new OEMs are released. Will add more/different sites to resolve FileLodge issue-see below. Added Cingular unlock hack instruction links, refined how-to's/walk-throughs for creating and flashing ROM for unlocked GSM/Cingular, Verizon and Sprint Treos. Better organized PDF file.

Please note, a few links have FileLodge as the file host. This week file lodge has been having problems with their site. I am gradually either moving or obtaining additional links for those files. If you have a problem getting a file, email me at Treo650ROM@gmail.com.

Updated: Nov 10, 2005: New list includes Verizon ROMs V 1.04, four versions, short, additional instructions. Hope to get more Sprint added early next week, and then wait till new OEM releases are made, and resulting custom ROMs. All links continue to be good.

Updated Nov 9, 2005: If you have difficulty downloading any files listed in this list, right click the link, and select “Open Web link in Browser”. Up to and including Nov 9, 2005, all links are active and working. There are also the footnotes, with the links at the bottom of the page, if you wish to copy and paste, as well as alternative download links for some files. FileLodge.com has been having problems this evening.

Updated 11-06-2005: includes "restore" ROM to restore custom Sprint to OEM 1.03 ROM by shadowmite, various instructions, converting Sprint to Verizon, pulling your own full ROMs via T3. etc.

Updated 11-03-2005: includes Sprint ROMs, Cingular 1.23 conversion step process/unlock conversion ROM, (only English language files).[B/]

While searching for current and older Custom ROMs (all version of the Treo 650), I've discovered that they are slowly being lost, more or very difficult to locate, download locations becomine more sparse as the links have been forced removed. (see below, PalmOne-MyTreo.net/shadowmite). Recently MyTreo.net was noticed by PalmOne to remove direct links to custom ROM's. You all know shadowmite was first noticed some time back. Perhaps TreoCentral is on the PalmOne notice schedule in the future also.

Currently the master list has some unlocked GSM phone ROMs, which could also be used by unlocked-converted GSM phones, Cingular, 1.23 for Cingular phones, a middle step to convert to unlocked, , full GSM ROW ROM, and some Sprint lists, etc.

Here's the links for current zipped PDF list:

http://tinyurl.com/9jzvs

or

http://tinyurl.com/av77e

Additions, suggestions, etc., please email to: Treo650ROM@gmail.com

A good number of folks have asked for automatic email updates to the Treo 650 Master ROM and Flie list. I currently prefer to not keep a mailing list. If you wish an updated list pleast use the above link.

Please help and contribute. This list is for all who use custom ROMs, or wish to research the topic. It would sure make getting some difficult needed information a bit more quick and easy to find.

I know there are a lot of excellent custom ROMs out there.

Thanks,

Maria
    Last edited by lovecostarica; 11/21/2005 at 04:46 PM.
    gr8 job putting all the info in one place.. i'm sure it's gonna be helpful to a lot of people!!

i hope this remains "the" list as far as custom roms and info abt roms n firmwares go, with updates whenever applicable.
    This is great. Thanks a lot. I have been wanting to do a custom rom but never took the time to learn how. This is a big help.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks...

M
    What an excellent resource and also list of ROM information, tutorials, instructions and where to go for custom ROM and flashing Maria. Thanks for all of the work putting it together!

Admin make this a sticky. It just keeps getting better.

The newest update is Super!

Samantha
    The email address in post #1 should be @gmail.com , I think, rather than @gamil ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I know these Custom ROMs are great if you are just looking to get rid of some of the lame stock applications but the bigger benefit of making a custom ROM is the ability to place your 3rd party applications in ROM which saves RAM.

I gained 4 megs of RAM when I made my ROM. Its extremely easy to do. Just follow the steps here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97527

LoveCostaRica is there anything I can do to help out your ROM thing?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    The email address in post #1 should be @gmail.com , I think, rather than @gamil ?
    ChasT:

oops... tks.

M
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    I know these Custom ROMs are great if you are just looking to get rid of some of the lame stock applications but the bigger benefit of making a custom ROM is the ability to place your 3rd party applications in ROM which saves RAM.

I gained 4 megs of RAM when I made my ROM. Its extremely easy to do. Just follow the steps here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97527

LoveCostaRica is there anything I can do to help out your ROM thing?
    Tem:

Yup, those language files (GSM) hog up plenty. There's also walk-throughts in the PDF file.

Sure, help would be great Have the most recent version fo the PDF to go from for discussion?

M
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecostarica
    Have the most recent version fo the PDF to go from for discussion?
    I'm sorry I dont understand your post. I cant tell if you asking me something or telling me, and Im not sure what it is.
  11.    #11  
    Tem:

Was wondering if you have the current PDF 'list' already, so we can talk about your input/help/suggestions, for the same 'version' list? I've updated it pretty frequently over the last week, but not since Monday.

M

M
    No I guess I dont
  13.    #13  
    New Verizon 1.04 ROM, Custom 5 - Loaded, by Gordy (thanks Gordy), with the following apps added:

with the following trials/free apps:

Card Export 2, Chatter Email, Cleanup, CutPaste5 v3.1, Directory Assistant 3.2x, FieldPlus v2.2, LEDOff v0.2.3, Resco Explorer v2.52, ResetMe 0.1, Toccer Preview 8, Uninstall Manager v2.79. Thanks Gordy.

This was first stripped to Custom 4 level, then added apps.

M
    Last edited by lovecostarica; 11/22/2005 at 07:58 PM.
    DOH! good list!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Im just curious, why would anyone want a ROM with someone else deciding what 3rd party applications to put in there.

Chatter email in ROM, that program is improved every month so you would have to re-image the treo frequently if you wanted to make use of the improvements.

Directory assistant in ROM,,,,,it runs perfect from the card. Why wast ROM space with apps that work on the card?

Resco Explorer runs perfect from the card. No point in putting it in ROM. Its better to save that space for applications that need to be internal, ROM or RAM.

The best applications to place in ROM are applications that need the palm clock, need to run in the background, need to be called up from another app, need to be set as a default app or ones you want tied to a hard button.

So the best ROM will always be the one someone makes for themselves.

So lovecostarica I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something. Is this for users who dont mind using a ROM that is not exactly what they want and who dont want to spend a hour or 2 to figure it out for them selves?
    I can't answer for all the 3rd party apps added to ROM, but I have added a bunch of applications to ROM that I use very frequently just because they load much faster than from the SD card and I'm still saving the RAM space.
    Chatter... well, that one definitely doesn't make sense. I thought about it a few times, but decided better of it. That's just one of those that has to stay in RAM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Im just curious, why would anyone want a ROM with someone else deciding what 3rd party applications to put in there.

Chatter email in ROM, that program is improved every month so you would have to re-image the treo frequently if you wanted to make use of the improvements.

Directory assistant in ROM,,,,,it runs perfect from the card. Why wast ROM space with apps that work on the card?

Resco Explorer runs perfect from the card. No point in putting it in ROM. Its better to save that space for applications that need to be internal, ROM or RAM.

The best applications to place in ROM are applications that need the palm clock, need to run in the background, need to be called up from another app, need to be set as a default app or ones you want tied to a hard button.

So the best ROM will always be the one someone makes for themselves.

So lovecostarica I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something. Is this for users who dont mind using a ROM that is not exactly what they want and who dont want to spend a hour or 2 to figure it out for them selves?
    Tem:

I think it's probably for folks who want some of those apps, perhaps not all, and find it easy to grab the loaded ROM, and delete the apps they don't want. Saves time gett'in em elsewhere - all over the place.

That's my quess.

I believe there are a good number of folks who do not want to mess with making their own, for whatever reason. I feel there is no problem with that. That was the case with 1.13 unlocked GSM, when it was first avail, and seems about the same now.

I agree, the 'best' ROM is one designed for the individual, though it may not necessarily be put together directly by that individual. As you know, most of the basic ROMs have just had the 'dirty' work done, by removing language files, etc., thus shortening the time, sometimes considerably, to 'roll your own' much faster.

For my Treo, I have 1.28 with 8 apps I like and use frequently. So far, even though updates to several of those 8 apps have come out, I am waiting for a new OEM update to also update the others, as available. The frequently used app updates are not critical enough, to me yet, to warrant flashing just for the sake of those non-OEM updates.

Resco Explorer, as most apps, runs just fine from the card. I've only had an app or two that really do not work as well on a card. However, specifically putting Resco, or a like app, into ROM, allows for ROM flashing problem solving more easily, and for multi-various reasons.

I think the best apps to put on ROM are those that are used quite frequently and or security/ease of use... but that is my opinion. I have always put into the ROM less than what I take out.

As with anything, much of what us western consumers use are things which save us time.... just think of fast food, fast service gas stations, delivered pizza (why don't we all roll our own dough and make our own home made pizza?), and movies on demand.

I suspect that you already know the above, so I can't realy say if you are missing something/anything, or not, but I spspect that you are not missing anything, but instead have a different 'perspective' about the whole thing.

Anyway, hows your PPC 6700 going?

M
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyC
    I can't answer for all the 3rd party apps added to ROM, but I have added a bunch of applications to ROM that I use very frequently just because they load much faster than from the SD card and I'm still saving the RAM space.
    Chatter... well, that one definitely doesn't make sense. I thought about it a few times, but decided better of it. That's just one of those that has to stay in RAM.
    CrazyC,

Hey CrazyC!

Yes, the speed savings can be great sitting from being used in ROM. I have an Eng-Spanish Dict (2.5 MB). 8 seconds coming off the SD card, and a blink of an eye from ROM.

Did you see a post at shadowmite's site yearning for your thoughts?

Maria
    This is a newbie question, but does adding programs to the ROM improve stability? what are the benefits of doing this?
    Your absolutely right I pay to much for bad pizza.

Thanks for asking. This is my first post on TC on the 6700. It is somewhere past unbelievable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast