I was mucking around in prefs last nite and my 650 spontaneously rebooted and then went into the endless reset cycle. I have tried soft reset, system reset and hard reset, but none of these work. After clicking the "up" button in response to the "Erase all data?" prompt, it just reboots back to the PalmOne screen and continues cycling. Any suggestions how I can make this phone usable again?
    I had a similar problem once. I was playing music with realplayer, I did press the application button... and ... endless reset loop !

I tried hard, soft, zero-out resets for hours.... removed the battery several times... with no luck.

I was pretty sure my Treo was dead... then suddenly it worked.

So my advice is: be patient and try again. It worked after maybe 10 zero-out resets...

I never understood what happened.

stipus
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Search for "warm reset."
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Thanks for the link Perry. I tried it (over and over and over again), but I keep getting the bootload multicolored screen. The instructions say to try again if you get that screen. I am beginning to think that it is mis-interpreting my "Up" key as something else, in which case I am hosed. The phone is only a week old, so I guess I can return it to the Cingular store where I got it, but it still has all of my data on it and I don't want them to return it with my full calendar, contacts and email data -- any way to get rid of that?
    I also got the multi-color screen several times when it happened to me.

I think the key is to press POWER and UP simultaneously, then quickly the hotsync button, then reset while holding the 3 keys...

It took me several hours with a friend before getting a success. I seriously thought it was dead.

Good luck,

stipus
    Zero outs are not easy, but I have successfully done them on my own. My main problem was just pressing the reset button briefly whilst holding all the others!
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    [QUOTE=Freo]Thanks for the link Perry. I tried it (over and over and over again), but I keep getting the bootload multicolored screen. The instructions say to try again if you get that screen. I am beginning to think that it is mis-interpreting my "Up" key as something else, in which case I am hosed. The phone is only a week old, so I guess I can return it to the Cingular store where I got it, but it still has all of my data on it and I don't want them to return it with my full calendar, contacts and email data -- any way to get rid of that?[/QUOTE]

Well, if all else fails, and no one can get it to do a warm reset to stop the reset loop and Cingular has agreed to a return and replace prior to your doing so -- I imagine setting it on a very powerful industrial magnet for a few minutes would wipe the memory clean before sending it back. . . . .

Anyone else have a less evasive idea?

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/11/2005 at 06:41 AM.
    Flash memory won't be erased by a magnet, you're thinking hard drive platters, etc..

I'm thinking if he can't zero-out, can't hard reset, and can't get it to boot normally, there's little worry of anyone getting his data.
    Thanks for the feedback. I never did get the zero out reset to work, so I swapped it out today for a new one, only took 5 mins in the Cingular store, quick and painless. My data isn't all that sensitive, so I won't worry about them accessing it, which they most likely won't be able to even if they wanted to given the state of the Treo.

BTW, the Cingular salesman told me I was the 3rd person in 3 days to swap it out due to spontaneous reboots (though the others were intermittent, not in an endless loop like mine). He says that is unusual and wondered if the most recent batch have some issue. Guess I'll find out if it happens to me again...