Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have just had a look at the dataviz web site and it is currently showing a (paid) upgrade to Docs to Go that gives full support for PDF without a conversion on the PC.

Has anyone tried it yet? How good is it and is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks

Susan
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Thanks!
    I've been checking the website everyday! You beat me to it!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I'm interested in knowing how much of DTG8 can be moved to the card. Their website doesn't mention this or version 8 compatibility with the DataViz Tech Tool.
    The upgrade for existing Docs to Go users is $29.99. I just upgraded and moved all the files over with the DataViz Tech Tool. Ending up with about the same amount of free ram that I had before the upgrade. The PDF reader works pretty good, but it is a bit slow in enlarging the PDF file to a readable size.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    So I just spent 5-minutes on the DataViz website trying to figure out how to e-mail them a simple question: "Does DTG version 8 support the version 1.1 Tech Tool? If so, does it also move the PDF application to the card?" They make no mention of the Tech Tool working with version 8 and the PDF features.

Nowhere on their site can you send them an e-mail other then to the 'how do you like us' part. However, before you do that you have to click an acknowledgement that they will not respond to support questions via that mail address.

This alone really makes me not want to purchase the application but I want the PDF support and otherwise like the DTG program.
    CGordonn
    I don't know. $30 for pdf support. Not sure if I will do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    So I just spent 5-minutes on the DataViz website trying to figure out how to e-mail them a simple question: "Does DTG version 8 support the version 1.1 Tech Tool? If so, does it also move the PDF application to the card?" They make no mention of the Tech Tool working with version 8 and the PDF features.

Nowhere on their site can you send them an e-mail other then to the 'how do you like us' part. However, before you do that you have to click an acknowledgement that they will not respond to support questions via that mail address.

This alone really makes me not want to purchase the application but I want the PDF support and otherwise like the DTG program.
    FYI, the Tech Tool on the Dataviz site has been updated to version 1.5 (hopefully in conjunction with the new PDF support).
    BTW, do you have to delete the old Docs-to-Go program or can you install the new one right over it?
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I bought it. Glory!

You don't need the Tech Tool any more. There is an option to "Manage Applications" which is an upgrade beyond Tech tool 1.5. It moves more of the applications to the card than does Tech tool 1.5.

Also, it's got color support, multiple zoom levels and you can use the stylus to drag and pan around the PDF.

And with class, instead of crashing on low cache memory, it gives a warning and advice to soft reset!

You should not delete your old version first. The upgrade installation first verifies that you have the old version as a qualifying product. Then it removes the old applications and installs the new.

$30 is a lot for an upgrade but I'm glad I got it!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I have been waiting for this, good look! im going to downlaod as soon as i get home.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    So far it has caused two resets one of them erased my saved preferences. Thank you Rbackup! You'll definitely want to move it to the card..it's like 5 Meg's. It also triggers dbcache tool quite often. We'll see how it goes.
    Make sure you close a document before you exit Docs to Go. If you don't, it remains in memory. this could cause some problems. This is not new for this version. It has been the case for awhile. I've been about 4 hours and pretty heavy use and no problems.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    I was just about to buy OfficeSuite when I saw this thread. OfficeSuite has been flawless on my T650 but lacks PDF support. I gave up on DTG because of all the resets so please let us know how the new version is after using for a while.

Thanks
    if you ever thought about reading PDF ebooks (or any other security-enabled document) using the new Doc2Go, well forget about it.

www.dataviz.com/pdfencrypt

:-(
    PDF function works well except for files with some type of security, which produces the following:
    "Documents To Go cannot open this file because there is a Document Security set which restricts what can be done to the document. To learn how to change the Document Security please visit www.dataviz.com/pdfencryp"

Seems you need Acrobat Professional to undo this setting to read on DTG on the Treo.

Otherwise seems quite good.
    There's a tool that does a kinda 'fit to width' that fits text to the width of the screen, making the pdf document readable. It strips the graphics out.

A note on dataviz customer service.
    If I ever have a question, one that requires a relatively quick answer, I call the 800 number and they answer it. Very responsive.

I had the same question about the tech tool and v8. So I called them up and was immediately told that it works. So I ordered the upgrade.
    I just installed the new DTG -- I too bought it just for the PDF support (fortunately, I got it for $15 because I was within a 90 day purchase window).

But I can't PDF files to open! Every time I try, I get an error message "The application to open documents of this type can't be found!"

I've reinstalled all the handheld applications several times. Any suggestions on what I can do?

(Yeah, I opened a case with Dataviz -- we'll see how long it takes them to respond.)

TIA!
    i love it!! i can view all my 200+ files now w/o conversion!! overall this was worth the 30$ to me, i especially like how you can format/fit to screen....and like ekeith said you can move related files/apps to the card right from the menu, no dataviz tool required....if you're a heavy pdf user like myself then this is the way to go!!
    Has anyone else found the search for new files taking a huge amount of time? In fact, I've had to manually stop it. In my earlier version of DTG the search function took a while but would cycle through eventually. This version does not seem to end. Anyone else finding this so?
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Make sure you close a document before you exit Docs to Go. If you don't, it remains in memory. this could cause some problems. This is not new for this version. It has been the case for awhile. I've been about 4 hours and pretty heavy use and no problems.
    Thanks but I never made it this far. As soon as I transfered the apps to the card...BOOM. The first time it deleted all my prefs. and defaulted back to the previous version of DTG. The second time it just reset with no damage. I think it has a problem pf overwiting the existing DTG on the card. So far it has worked though. I'd like to know what the point of only being able to open unprotected PDF's. I think it should function just like Acrobat Reading if it is suppose to clearly handle PDF's.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast