1.    #1  
    My Outlook pst files have been restored to the new machine, an IBM T42. After searching 3 web sites and the Treo manual I do not find anything that says just install the original setup from the cd and hit sync. I would like to avoid creating duplicates in outlook. I would think this must be a common occurrence? Anyone point me at a post or article that addresses it? Thank you
    You've got a real issue:

The install process should see all of the data on the handheld and try and dupe it. But if you have newer data on the handheld then in Outlook?

Here's what I'd suggest - create subfolders for all of the data in Outlook and move all of your current data for Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes etc into these subfolders.

Continue with the setup via the Palm install disc.

Be certain to use the same user name as before and then the hot sync will see data on the handheld and put it into Outlook.

No duplication should occur since the subfolders won't sync - and then you can compare the subfolders to the main folders to insure you've got everything. Then delete the sub's when your comfortable.

EDIT: Run Detect and Repair (from the Outlook Help Menu) before asking for help when or if it won't sync for the first time. I've seen so many PST files corrupted when moved onto a new machine because of all the SP packs that Windows has released.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  3.    #3  
    Windows could not load installer... contact software vendor
    Bad install CD?

Or if your trying to hot sync via a docking station first - connect the USB to a port on the laptop then sync and see if it can load the installer that way.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  5.    #5  
    I decided not to use the disc, but rather downloaded the install software from the site. Going to palm.com and also using the link I found on the original disc, I verified they both pointed to the same file. Also, I am just plugging directly into the pc's USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    Bad install CD?

Or if your trying to hot sync via a docking station first - connect the USB to a port on the laptop then sync and see if it can load the installer that way.
    So is it fixed?
    Moose Man
  7.    #7  
    No, it is still stuck. I am truly surprised this isn't something we deal with more often. I will uninstall and reinstall and try it again. Thanks for checking in.
    Well my only other suggestions:

Be certain to unload any firewall and antivirus software by using Control, Alt, and Delete keys to bring up the Task Manager before attempting to load the software.

Depending upon your Anti Virus software and some settings in firewalls - it may be preventing a couple of DLL files from loading.

Many people do not "unload" these programs as suggested by the default disclaimer at the start and those pesky IBM machines usually are the worst - in my experience because they have proprietary type stuff.
    Moose Man