1.    #1  
    My service provider has FINALLY made the TREO 650 available (Sasktel Mobility, uses the Bell network).

So, after waiting for over a year, the device could be in my hands this weekend.

However, I have had a year to read all the bad reviews, and am questioning my purchase.

Have the CDMA Treo 650 problems been solved by now? Are they on going?

Other options include a Blackberry 7250, or a Palm Tungsten E2 connecting through bluetooth on an LG 325 for email.

Any recomendations or words of advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe
    My service provider has FINALLY made the TREO 650 available (Sasktel Mobility, uses the Bell network).

So, after waiting for over a year, the device could be in my hands this weekend.

However, I have had a year to read all the bad reviews, and am questioning my purchase.

Have the CDMA Treo 650 problems been solved by now? Are they on going?

Other options include a Blackberry 7250, or a Palm Tungsten E2 connecting through bluetooth on an LG 325 for email.

Any recomendations or words of advice?
    That depends on which problems you're referring to. Does the BT 1.1 stack still suck? Yes. Is the speaker volume way too low? Yes. Is there too little memory? Yes. Is the error handling in the OS worse than Win 95? Absolutely.

Did they fix the dial lag issue? Yes. Did the firmware revision fix the fact that the NVFS was gobbling up way too much memory? Yes. Does it now come with DUN as an option? Yes.

The phone is better than it was when I got it almost a year ago. It is nowhere near perfect, but it does almost everything I want it to do almost every time. It's the almost part that kills you though.

You better be a patient person. You will have a love/hate relationship with it.
    I'm back!
  3.    #3  
    Is the OS error handling simply an issue with the TREO, or is this something in common with all Palm Os devices?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I just got the Treo 650 last week and it is fantastic (I am a Bell Mobility User). I got volume care a software program which addresses the low volume issue. I installed the Parrot CK3100 in my car which is a handsfree voice activated blue tooth system and I also purchased a memory card which addresses the memory issue. Only issue; Do not install the voice recog. s/w which comes as an extra on the cd installation disk if you're using the Parrot - seems to cause a conflict. This is one smooth terrific product.
    Is the OS error handling simply an issue with the TREO, or is this something in common with all Palm Os devices?
    This would be an issue with the Palm OS and not specific to the Treo, but it sure seems that there is a lot of crappy software written for the Treo that exacerbates the problem.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by sstober
    I just got the Treo 650 last week and it is fantastic (I am a Bell Mobility User). I got volume care a software program which addresses the low volume issue. I installed the Parrot CK3100 in my car which is a handsfree voice activated blue tooth system and I also purchased a memory card which addresses the memory issue. Only issue; Do not install the voice recog. s/w which comes as an extra on the cd installation disk if you're using the Parrot - seems to cause a conflict. This is one smooth terrific product.
    A memory card doesn't really address the memory issue. It is a stopgap. Sure, you can store pics or music on it instead of bogging down RAM, but there are a lot of programs and databases that can't run from a memory card, even if you have ZLauncher or another memory card manager installed.

It's not an ideal solution.
    I'm back!
  7.    #7  
    Anybody else? Is this just an accepted fact?
    Anybody else? Is this just an accepted fact?
    I what just an accepted fact? The fact that all palm devices rely on software being error-free? That's pretty much true. It's an extremely lightweight OS that requires much less memory to run and less memory for apps, but, as a trade off, error handling is less than robust.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    If you want error free use, buy a Blackberry. People buy Treos because the functionality as a PDA and ability to run software is miles ahead of the Blackberry. For the most part, the phone works. That's all I care about and love having flexibility and convenience of PDA phones.