1.    #1  
    OK. I'm new here. No flaming, please.
    This may be a stupid question, but I read that Palm was going to start shifting 650 manufacturing from HTC to Inventec. Is it happening yet?

Here's why.

I ordered a 650 from Sprint a week or so ago. It came in and the down button on the D-Pad seemed to be sporadic in it's function. It wasn't as responsive as the other 3 directions. So I call and ask for a replacement. One is sent, and this one is shipped in a new Sprint Yellow box with the new logo. the logo on the front of the 650 is the new logo as well.

Here's where it gets interesting. The screens are different. One is brighter and crisper than the other. Same resolution, but one has a blue-ish hue, and the other is more of a yellow-ish hue.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Sounds like the A vs. B hardware revision. I don't think anyone prefers the B as the screen is inferior.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Sounds like the A vs. B hardware revision. I don't think anyone prefers the B as the screen is inferior.
    OK. I plead ignorance. How do I tell? What does this mean?
  4.    #4  
    I just took the batteries out of both. They both say Hardware B. I'm split. One has a goofy down button, the other has an inferior screen. Maybe call for a third? Frusteration.......
    I don't think anyone prefers the B as the screen is inferior.
    I prefer the screen. It's a little "nicer" on the eyes....don't really know how else to say it. Are you talking about the quality of the material? The difference in hue? A loss of resolution?

I guess I could search....I'll go to the Hardware B thread.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad
    I prefer the screen. It's a little "nicer" on the eyes....don't really know how else to say it. Are you talking about the quality of the material? The difference in hue? A loss of resolution?

I guess I could search....I'll go to the Hardware B thread.
    Well, the screen is more yellow. The best way I can describe the way it looks is nicotine stained. The resolution seems fine.

Another strange thing that I noticed is that the newer one's keys do not light up nearly as bright as the first one I received.

The screen, and the buttons, and the change of logo make me wonder if this is an Inventech 650.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DadOCarson
    OK. I'm new here. No flaming, please.
    This may be a stupid question, but I read that Palm was going to start shifting 650 manufacturing from HTC to Inventec. Is it happening yet?

Here's why.

I ordered a 650 from Sprint a week or so ago. It came in and the down button on the D-Pad seemed to be sporadic in it's function. It wasn't as responsive as the other 3 directions. So I call and ask for a replacement. One is sent, and this one is shipped in a new Sprint Yellow box with the new logo. the logo on the front of the 650 is the new logo as well.

Here's where it gets interesting. The screens are different. One is brighter and crisper than the other. Same resolution, but one has a blue-ish hue, and the other is more of a yellow-ish hue.

Anyone know anything about this?
    If it's not too much trouble, can you upload some pics of the new packaging and the emblem on the phone? TIA.
    I also have hardware B and have no problems.
    You can change the brightness of the screen.
    Letter p controls brightness.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    If it's not too much trouble, can you upload some pics of the new packaging and the emblem on the phone? TIA.
    Sorry. I wish I would have read this a couple of minutes earlier. It's taped up in the UPS box to go out already. The box is pretty much the same as the old, but Yellow where the old one was red. Has the newer "Palm" logo, not Pa1mOne. Has the new Sprint Logo. The only difference in the unit itself is the Sprint logo is updated, but it is all black, where the picture of it on the box shows black "Sprint" with Yellow fan looking thing.

I did not turn on the Phone, so I did not see if there was any change in the startup or shutdown, but it did come with the 1.12 ROM, without the E911 update.

Teh company that I bought it from should be shipping another new one out as soon as they get this one back. Can't say for certain that they will be sending out another Newbie with the new logos, but since they sent one out, I would expect they've worked through their old stock.

When I get the replacement, I will let you all know.

As far as the brightness, I adjusted it using Option P and it was just brighter and darker yellowed screen. The screen difference, and the less bright Keyboard just make me think this may not have come from HTC, but I may be way off.
    I recently tried purchasing a new treo 650. I just got fed up of the inferior quality of the refurbs I got. However 3 units I opened all had the yellowish screen (PTTG07 where 7 is the production build). An older build, 05 had the white screen as shown on the box. I just ended up getting a replacement instead since quality was not guaranteed even with a new unit.
    I just bought my Treo 650 on Tuesday from a Sprint store. It was in one of the new boxes with the new logo and all. My phone has the new Sprint logo on it as well. Being a new Treo user, I do not really have much to go on, but I can tell you that it a whole lot better than the PPC-6700 that I had previously.

A few quick things, the hardware revision is B. The palm logo on the sticker inside the battery case still has the old palmone logo and refers to palmone.com. Also, it was manufactured in Taiwan.
    I like my 'B' version much better then the 'A' version I originally had because:
    1. It never crashes;
    2. The 'P' key isn't mushy.

I can't tell the difference in the screen yellowish-ness. Maybe if I used two Treo side-by-side all the time, but since I don't, I can't tell a difference with the screen between the 'A' & 'B' versions.
    I have the the B also. The first B they sent did not work so they had to send another one and this one has been working fine. :-)
    I believe that Treo 650s are made exclusively by HTC. Inventec will the make the next generation of Treos.

As for the yellow screen, it may be an issue of different LCD screen supplier. One screen is not necessarily better than the other. They just have different screen characteristcs. I know some users who actually a more "yellowish" scrren.
    The logo change and packaging changes are results of the Sprint Nextel Merger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleenlv
    The logo change and packaging changes are results of the Sprint Nextel Merger
    Wow....how very astute...although I believe most here already knew that much. The issue here seems to be how the newer treos with the newer hardware revision seem to have a noticeable yellow haze when you compare them to the older treos with the good screens.

PS - I noticed this on 5 treos we have....all HW rev A, mine has a non-yellowish screen along with one other, and the other 3 have a yellowish tint to them that's noticeable when you put them side by side.
    I don't think I ever really paid attention to the Hardware Rev A/B thing. I just took my battery out and couldn't see anything that hinted at the Rev number. I've had this Treo (Sprint) for about a year now, I ordered it directly from PalmOne just as they were coming out. I don't have the screen issue, but my P key seems to miss avery so often. Not all the time though. I just tell people I text that I'm having trouble p'ing.
    Something similar happened to me back in the day when I had a 600. My first one had a nice white screen. Then about 9 months into it, I got a replacement unit. The screen was not as bright and had an ugly looking blue color cast.

Do you think Palm drops the product quality as the units get closer to end of life? That would be pretty bad in my opinion. Launch a product with good components, get great reviews - then a year later, start cutting corners.