1.    #1  
    Visto going for broke in push email

Visto, the Redwood City provider of mobile push email, said it got another $70 million in financing from DFJ ePlanet Ventures and existing investors.

That's a horde of cash, especially for a company that has previously raised at least $80 million. Maybe it has something to do with the move by Sunnyvale's Palm, maker of the Treo 650, to open up its phone to allow e-mail from competitor Research in...

Motion, maker of the Blackberry, and the fact that Visto is already in competition with other email programs, such as Seven and GoodLink?

With "push" technology, no longer do users have to tap-and-click their phones to check for new messages. Instead, emails appear on the mobile device the same way they do on the office PC inbox: automatically.

Visto provides push email to companies like Vodafone, Canada's Rogers Wireless and Sprint-Nextel.
    Well, Chatter already does this with POP3 and IMAP mail, and it soon will with OWA mail (Exchange). Why would anyone want yet another monthly subscription service when it's not really necessary?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Well, Chatter already does this with POP3 and IMAP mail, and it soon will with OWA mail (Exchange). Why would anyone want yet another monthly subscription service when it's not really necessary?

Marc
    I would assume because they want more than just email. Also support from the carrier or a company that has had a presence in the market.

I love getting email on my device but seemless intergration to my enterprise data, messaging, calandering and other items is more attractive. JMO.
    Marc -

Forgive if I'm being dense (i know that there have been lots of push discussions), but are you saying that Chatter does POP3 push? I know it works for IMAP, but wasnt aware that did push POP3.
    Oh, sorry. I didn't mean POP3!

Marc

Marc
    My Exchange Server is behind a firewall, and OWA for me requires a SecurID for login. So, Chatter won't work for me even through OWA. I have to reply on desktop redirector solutions. I'd like something as nice as Chatter that did desktop redirection.
    I can handle SecurID, but it's clumsy, right? Can't push, etc...

Marc
    I can handle SecurID, but it's clumsy, right? Can't push, etc...

Marc
    It is pretty clumsy. Have to carry around the little ID. Would chatter stay connected though? Wouldn't be too bad if I only had to enter the ID periodically, but on all timed checks or so, that would be pretty painful.
    I'm not sure; I'd have to experiment, I think...

Marc