Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At work today, I found a lost cell phone lying next to my car when I pulled into a space in the garage. Opening the case to look in the phone's contact list to try to locate the owner revealed a name and several phone numbers printed on a piece of paper and taped to the back of the phone with clear packing tape. I located the owner and arranged returning the phone within five minutes of getting to the lab I work in.

Today I did the same, printing my name, email address, and two contact phone numbers on a piece of paper and fastening it with clear packing tape. I affixed it to the battery cover.

If you haven't done this yet, consider doing it -- putting owner info in the phone book is a good idea, but don't make it hard for any finders to locate you and don't count on them calling your cell phone provider, or if they do, don't count on the provider trying to locate you!
    This is my first Contact entry and my first Memo entry:

* CALL OWNER FOR REWARD *

John Smith
    (212) 999-9999 Mobile
    (800) 999-9999, Ext. 999 Work
    (212) 999-9999 Home

The Asterisk keeps it on top alphabetically. Yes the "Mobile" is listed, but I can still check voicemail without the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Oh indeed. I did the same. I'm just not counting on the finder being able to figure out how to view the memos or the contact list. But most anyone can read a notice written on the back of the phone.
    I'm not sure I'd include my address.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have the 'envelope' hard button assigned to contacts - so i'm banking on the fact that they will press it.

I'd hate to put a big piece of tape/paper on my battery cover. Ugly and even uglier after it gets rattier over time. I just can't do it for aesthetic reasons.

And that's what Backups and Insurance is for!
    Last edited by Gekko; 11/08/2005 at 07:10 PM.
    I have msafe to lock the device when I send a specific sms to it. this locks the phone and displays the owner info.
    Treoing & Loving it
  7.    #7  
    That's actually a pretty cool idea. It makes it less easy for the finder to just peel the tape off and swipe the phone. Sprint didn't do any verification that I hadn't just stolen the phone I bought (got mine off a friend when he left Sprint). How well does that survive resets?

I'll look into it.

As for aesthetics -- not too worried. It doesn't look that bad and the tape doesn't detach easily the way I use my phone; I use it for miscellaneous stuff and it holds up well. The font I used is slightly elegant but still readable and the type is not too big (nor is it too small). It can also easily be peeled off and GooGone removes tape residue very well. If it gets really bad, the battery cover can be replaced. Or, I can always use a case; the phone I found was in a case so the contact info wasn't visible when I first picked it up.
    Last edited by Buran; 11/08/2005 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added thoughts on aesthetics
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Would it be inappropiate to say, "For a Good time call..."
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I have msafe to lock the device when I send a specific sms to it. this locks the phone and displays the owner info.
    Ditto!
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  10.    #10  
    Been fiddling with msafe, it hasn't worked for me yet ... Hmm. I'll fiddle some more.
    you can do this with a free option like TreoHelper as well. I have it so the system lock activates when I send it an SMS that says LOCK.

There are some ways to crack it, but then if they're trying to crack it, they have no intention of returning it anyway.
    I have msafe set to hard reset the treo and wipe the card. I have tested it it works like a charm. I could care less about a piece of electronics that you can purchase now for $100 or less with insurance. It is the information that is valuable to me. Just locking the treo doesn't do a whole lot the security is not that tight. There there are hacks that can get into a palm with a lost password. If I found one I would return it because I know what it would be like to be without mine. I bet the return rate is something like 20%.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I use the built in security feature and it displays the owner information that you put in under prefs, owner.

So when they turn the phone on it has my name but I typed in "Please return to a sprint store if found".

This is a free built in setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    I use the built in security feature and it displays the owner information that you put in under prefs, owner.

So when they turn the phone on it has my name but I typed in "Please return to a sprint store if found".

This is a free built in setup.

the auto-lock is a PIA and i hate having to unlock my phone all the time. also, the "Network Time" setting prevents my phone from locking if it's set for over like 2 minutes anyway. i like the time automatically set.
    It may be a PIA but its wort it for me, it prevents apps from launching themselves since the OK button gets pushed in my pouch case.
    Anybody using remote lock? if so any problems? how does is survive a soft reset?

Thanks in advance
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I like the idea of adding a message to appear on your phone should it get lost, but to advise someone to turn it in to a Sprint store won't do much good because Sprint isn't going to try to find you. I found a Sprint phone once and had to force them to take it! The guy said they weren't going to contact the owner. Seemed pretty dumb, but that's what I was told.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    No kidding,,,, thats weird,,,,,, I assumed it would be standard procedure for Sprint to look up the owner information from the device and contact the owner. But I never asked Sprint about that.
    Tem, if the owner reported the device stolen, sprint's system would flag it.
    Others, Msafe has worked for me flawslelly.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Where do you buy this program MSAFE?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast