Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If I lose my phone, I just call the phone to find it. Hasn't happened yet.
    HP 95LX -> Newton 100 -> Palm III -> Handspring Platinum -> Treo 270 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    I have a bigger problem than looking up msafe by myself. I went to palmgear and downloaded the trial version. I set the password to lock to: secure, I sent a SMS from VZW and the phone locked and I put in secure and it worked. So I went to the next step and set the wipe password to: destruct. I sent the SMS and now my treo 650 is locked and it won't accept my treo p/w which is: peewee? I tried to enter: secure, destruct, peewee. What do I do I am freaking out!! Please help TEM this one time! For this help I will look up in the search and try things on my own.

TEM, I did a hard reset and re-installed all my info and it works now. Should I try to download the msafe from the site you gave me instead of palmgear? I am noton medication and am very normal. But I feel the need to ask the questions because there are so many places to get the programs and I wasn't sure if one is better than another. I will try you site you gave me. Sorry to be a pain in the a$$.
    Last edited by Buldawg; 11/09/2005 at 10:08 AM.
    I would hard reset and sync.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quick questions about mSafe:

Does anyone know if when mSafe is sent a *wipe* command if it actually wipes the memory so that NO data is recoverable, or does it simply perform a pseudo hard-reset? The fact that the phone as been hard-reset doesn't mean that data cannot still be extracted from the device.
    So Tem you use msafe and are happy with it? Sorry to ask so much, but there are so many places to purchase applications and I wasn't sure if one if better than another. I am not new to computers or Palm, just the Treo 650. I love the phone so much but I am sure there is so much more potential. I will try to do some thinking on my own and use the SEARCH feature more often. Again, sorry if I offended anyone by my questions.
    I have bought from many different sites such as:

Handango
    Palm
    PalmGear
    MyTreo .net
    FreeWarePalm

And directly from the developers site and have found no difference between any of them.

Sorry I dont use MSafe. Were you able to get back in to your treo?
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 11/10/2005 at 08:23 AM.
    I use http://www.stuffbak.com for labeling all of my goodies. The little stickers come in different sizes, and there is an 800 number on the sticker. Check it out. I found this because I found someone's Ipod, saw the sticker and called the number. As a reward, I got a free set of stickers. I then liked them so much I ordered some of their additional products...

james
    Yes Tem I got back into my treo and sync'd fine. I then deleted the msafe program trial version and then about 5 minutes later my phone did a reboot all by itself. Weird? I wonder if it had to do with the program because since I got my phone 13 days ago it has never rebooted itself at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    No kidding,,,, thats weird,,,,,, I assumed it would be standard procedure for Sprint to look up the owner information from the device and contact the owner. But I never asked Sprint about that.
    I thought it was pretty strange, too. Especially considering I found the phone in my back yard one day this past Spring. The Sprint store is literally 5 minutes from my house so more than likely whoever dropped the phone (probably a kid) lives in my area and is just as close to the Sprint store as I am! I was dumbfounded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buldawg
    Yes Tem I got back into my treo and sync'd fine. I then deleted the msafe program trial version and then about 5 minutes later my phone did a reboot all by itself. Weird? I wonder if it had to do with the program because since I got my phone 13 days ago it has never rebooted itself at all.
    It is normal. The program left a file extension when it was deleted which lead no where later when the extension was accessed which leads to a freeze. Palm wrote into the OS that the treo will reset when encountering a freeze to save you the time of resetting it yourself. Not all programs leave extensions after deletion. This also may occurs when a program is updated. The problem is when the Treo continues to reset which may mean that the bad file is not deleted upon reset. You then have to track down the file which isn't always easy since these types of files often have obscure names and are not always viewable depending on what file manager you use. They are also difficult to find since they may be a part of a bigger file and labeled as unknown within that file such as the saved preference file which can be opened with Resco file Explorer.

If the reset continues let me know and I will help you track down the bad file.
    Wow Tem thanks for the help, appreciate it. Do you think I should buy the Msafe software for my Treo 650? I have never lost a cell phone in my life but now that I have so much data I dont want this one to be the first. I dont care about the $17 just want to make sure I am getting a good program that wont crash my 650 or cause problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Tem, if the owner reported the device stolen, sprint's system would flag it.
    Others, Msafe has worked for me flawslelly.
    Jeepers, I had problems with Msafe so didn't keep it.

Is Msafe really working flawlessly for most users? If so, maybe I'll give it another try.

+1 for www.stuffbak.com

I use stuffbak labels on tons of stuff (including my house keys).

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Buldawg
    Wow Tem thanks for the help, appreciate it. Do you think I should buy the Msafe software for my Treo 650? I have never lost a cell phone in my life but now that I have so much data I dont want this one to be the first. I dont care about the $17 just want to make sure I am getting a good program that wont crash my 650 or cause problems.
    If "not loosing your data" is the concern then having a regular backup of the handheld and card on the PC is the answer.

If keeping information from the finder is the concern then MSafe is a good solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone
    I thought it was pretty strange, too. Especially considering I found the phone in my back yard one day this past Spring. The Sprint store is literally 5 minutes from my house so more than likely whoever dropped the phone (probably a kid) lives in my area and is just as close to the Sprint store as I am! I was dumbfounded.
    The Sprint store is suppose to contact the owner of the phone and try to return it, I once lost my Samsung i500 and a Sprint Store contacted me when someone turned it in.
    Chickenhawk: what size label do you use for the Treo 650?
    If "not loosing your data" is the concern then having a regular backup of the handheld and card on the PC is the answer.

I don't think losing the data was the concern here. I think it was someone else getting the personal data. If they are like me they have everything on there work info, ss# credit cards, bank accts etc.

I have been using msafe for almost 2 years I have never had a problem. I have tested it before and it does wipe the card and the palm.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    TEM: now what did I do wrong? I downloaded the program from their website for $16.99 and got the reg code. I installed it and put in the code. I assign my main p/w. A p/w for the SMS lock, and a p/w for the SMS erase feature. I sent the SMS lock message and it worked. I then sent the SMS erase message and it turned off the phone. I then try to turn it back on and it says to ENTER P/W FOR THIS DEVICE, so I enter my main p/w and it comes up and says PASSWORD INCORRECT, PLEASE TRY AGAIN (HINT) and then no hint is viewable. What is the problem?
    Im sorry Ive never used that app. I only use the built in security app. You could email the developer or maybe a user here could offer assistance.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast