1.    #1  
    I cannot get Missing Sync 5.0 to sync with iCal. I am a new users to Missing Sync (and iCal) having previously used the Palm Desktop. I set up everything as instructed in the manual but it hangs or thinks it syncs when it does not. I'm using Tiger and the Mark/Space conduits. My calendar is on the Treo 650, iCal is empty. I've tried deleting all iCal databases and preferences to start fresh, but that doesn't work. When I look at the Missing Sync log it has many entries showing reclassification of events' categories from the Treo to the default category in iCal, but then it just just stops as if it hung at that point. When I look at iCal, it remains w/o a single entry. I do have a relatively large database (1/2 meg on the Treo), but it's hard to believe that is the problem. Any suggestions on how to get the sync working would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
  2.    #2  
    FYI-- I am not the only person having difficulites getting iCal to sync properly via the new Mark/Space conduits...many are complaining loudly in the Missing Sync list server (info on Mark/Space web site). Many problems and bugs are being reported. Support for the product is non-existent to minimal at this point and, only via emails with multi-day turn arounds. I would strongly recommned staying away for now. Mark/Space should be ashamed for putting out such a buggy product and offering so little support.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    I was one of the beta testers for Missing Sync 5.0. There were actually quite a few beta testers who were not related to Mark/Space in any way. We tested MS 5.0 for quite some time. Mark/Space did NOT intentionally release a buggy product. They put MS through extensive testing. Unfortunately, no amount of testing can completely prevent bugs from appearing after release. I have learned this over the years as an IT manager. You must consider the fact that every single Palm in existance is different from the others in some way. Each person customizes their Palm to suit their own personal needs. This being the case, there is no way on God's green earth that Mark/Space could prepare for absolutely every scenario.

As for the technical support...are you trying to get it through the mailing list or directly from Mark/Space? If you are using the list to get tech support, don't expect immediate responses from Mark/Space. As with most companies that offer mailing lists, Mark/Space monitors the list, but doesn't necessarily respond to every request for help. They try to let other users offer help first. For a quicker response from Mark/Space, go to their website and submit a request for technical support, or submit a bug.

Now for your specific problem. Have you tried creating new calendars in iCal with names exactly matching the categories in your Treo Datebook? If not, try that and then go into the settings for the Missing/Sync Events conduit, make sure your newly created calendars appear in the list of calendars, and ensure that the "All" radio button is selected for "Synchronize events from calendars".

Also, as one other step. Make sure you have upgraded to 5.01.

You might also try temporarily disabling all conduits except the Events conduit. That will help eliminate the possibility that a different conduit is actually causing a conflict.

I hope this helps some. And please, don't be so harsh on Mark/Space. I assure you that they did their best to release a top notch product.
  4.    #4  
    jstrickland, I appreciate your reply, and I understand the difficulties involved in having a product like this. But they should have been more prepared for the fallout or they should have widened their beta testing with more testers. In any event, I think I've got things working (keeping my fingers crossed)-- not because of any help from Mark/Space, but becuase I had an idea of using dbscan on my datebook, which is quite large-- 7500+ items over many years-- to clean up any errors the conduit may have been having difficulty with. Although I was having no problem with the data on the Treo or on Palm Desktop, I thought it might help. I did that, reset everything and started over. It finally synced fully.

BTW, I did send a support request to both the listserve and to support directly. I have not heard back from the support request but did get an initial reply on the listserve.

They really ought to be apologizing profusely to their customers-- this sort of experience really sours one's sense of the company and the product.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Here's a slighty off topic question for anyone, but realated to ical and MS 5.
    Is there a way to sent a defalt calendar category on the Treo for making new entries? I find that if I forget to make chose a category, I get undefined, and then iCal keeps making a new calender. Any ideas?
    --
    Brett
    I300->I500-->650-->700p
  6.    #6  
    As a follow up to my earlier posts, MS 5 continues to have problems syncing to iCal. It worked for a while, then stopped working when I tried syncing only 2 weeks worth of my datebook. Tried switching back to a full sync and now nothing works. If you follow the listserve, you'll see that many are having iCal problems. And when this sort of software doesn't work well, it can create significant problems requiring a good deal of time to fix. If you ask me, the software should be taken off the market until they get it working right.
    I don't really know what to tell you. I'm sorry you are having such difficulties. I personally have been using MS 5 now for over a month, with no problems whatsoever. Have you downloaded 5.02B1 and installed it? You can get it from http://www.markspace.com/testing/

You might also try resetting the iSync sync history. Open iSync, go to preferences, and select Reset synch history. Then open Missing Synch and make sure in the events and tasks conduits that you have all calendars selected for synching.

If you have already tried this, I apologize.

I'm not trying to take all of the blame away from MarkSpace (I agree that their response to your support requests is very poor. That is unusual for them.), but I trully feel that part of the problem everyone is having is being caused by iSynch and Synch Services. I love Apple, but their Palm support has been **** poor up to this point, and I have a feeling that many of the bugs reside on their end.

Yes, it does seem that, going by the list server, many people are having problems with Missing Synch. However, as has been pointed out to me many times, this is not a true representation of overall response to the software. After all, how many people take the time to go to the list server and say how much they enjoy the software. In general, most people who visit listservers have a particular problem and are looking for a solution.
    Last edited by jstrickland; 11/11/2005 at 04:16 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jstrickland
    I
    You might also try resetting the iSync sync history. Open iSync, go to preferences, and select Reset synch history. Then open Missing Synch and make sure in the events and tasks conduits that you have all calendars selected for synching.
    I thought that the new Mark/Space conduit for Events bypassed iSync completely. Is that not correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy
    I thought that the new Mark/Space conduit for Events bypassed iSync completely. Is that not correct?

I could be wrong about this (I am a beta tester, not a programmer), but I think you are correct that the conduit does bypass iSync. However, Missing Synch utilizes MacOS 10.4's synch services. I think that the only way to reset those synch services is through iSync. In a very roundabout way, this is similar to the fact that you have to use Apple Mail, and Safari, to designate what your default email and web programs are, even though the other web and email programs don't utilize either of those in any way.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the info.

As an FYI, after tracking the listserve a while, I decided to give up and go back to Palm Desktop. There are a lot of angry people complaining about the new MS release being too buggy in several areas. The fact that they are frantically releasing new betas is evidence for this. Some of the betas aimed at solving significant problems people are having have introduced new problems. Most concerning is that the core ability to do a straight sync is not bulletproof and people are finding their data on both devices are being compromised. While I'd prefer to use iCal, etc., I'd rather have a worry-free sync with Palm Desktop. I should also mention that Missing Sync (and perhaps the Mac's Sync Services) has real problems with large databases that Palm Dektop doesn't blink at. W/o backup, a full sync with over 7500 events and 1400 contacts takes less than 10 seconds on the Palm Desktop. MS took many minutes the few times it did actually sync.

I'd like to use MS some day, but my confidence in the company and product is not high right now.
    I think you hit on an all important fact. Palm Desktop does NOT interact with either iCal or Addressbook. If stability is more important than the ability to use those two Apple programs, then by all means, stick with Palm Desktop. However, be aware that development on Palm Desktop has ceased permanently. This means, that there is the great potential that a change in the MacOS will eventually make it inoperational.

I think that as long as iCal and Addressbook are so tightly intertwined with the operating system, Mark/Space is always going to be constantly posting fixes to bugs. Each MasOS update, whether minor or major, has the potential to wreak havoc. I think that the fact that Mark/Space seems to be the only software developer willing to take on the task of Palm integration with iCal and Addressbook speaks volumes about how difficult a task it is. Heck! Even Palm bowed out.

I also read the listserve every day. I do see quite a few people having problems with MS. I also see the MS folks working hard with these people to solve these problems. However, I am not necessarily seeing a lot of angry people complaining. Yes, I have seen some, but it hardly amounts to a lot. As I stated in a previous post though, that is what the listserve is for. If MS is functioning properly for you, then you're much less likely to be posting on the listserve, because you've moved on to other things. I would also hardly call the posting of two betas as "frantically releasing new betas."

Anyway, I'm sorry for all of the problems you experienced with Missing Sync. I hope in 3 to 6 months time you might be willing to give it another look. While I might not agree with all of your thoughts of Mark/Space and Missing Sync right now, I can certainly understand how your experience has shaken your confidence in both. I can only hope that at some point in the future, that confidence is once again restored. Good luck!
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I will revisit the product in the future.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I had never used the product before but ran into no problems at all using it. Maybe you should try moving your calendar stuff into ical. Then sync and have ical overwrite the Treo for the first sync.