Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I spent a good 45-60 minutes searching through the abundance of old posts touching this subject but could not find an answer. Lot's of people saying that would be nice to have it all. Here is what I'm trying to get...

I use an iRock FM modulator connected to a treocentral headset adapter to listen to audiobooks and mp3's in my car every day. During this when someone calls it rings through the speakers and I can answer it but no one can hear me. (This seems to be a common problem based on searches) I'd think there should be an easy software way to compensate for this and allow the microphone to work while the adapter is plugged in. I looked at Freedom and headcold and they both looked like they might do it but many months ago I tried this with freedom and it did not work.

Is there another app or way to do this?(aside from buying the Seidio and similar adapters with a built in mic, I'd like to use the phones mic if possible)

TS
    Not sure what's up, because it works for me. I use both a cassette adapter and an FM modulator. (depending on which car). I had to mod the cassette adapter and buy a special adapter for the transmitter to get around the impedance issue.

If the impedance or resistance, of the device is MORE than 1K ohms, the TREO assumes there is a mike attached. If it's in the range of 500ohms and 1K it kicks in the voice dialer if you have that installed.

I suspect your transmitted impedance is too HIGH and so you it disables the internal mic, thinking that you have a mic attached to the headset jack.

If you have a stereo transmitter, and you are only getting sound from one channel (left) then that's the problem.

If that's the problem, then you need an adapter. Seidio makes one:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=39

Actually, you can order it on TREOCENTRAL
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...&external_ref=

Note that this device is NOT the same as the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter. This device has an impedance matching circuit in it

Jim
    Last edited by cioffij; 11/09/2005 at 08:44 PM.
    What type of adapter are you using? Make sure it is a Stereo adapter. It should have 2 black rings (3 conductor) in the male portion.

The treo 650 jack is actually a 4 conductor jack, and the mic uses a different conductor according to what is plugged in.... a little hard to explain and probably even harder to understand.
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm maybe thats my troubles then. I'm using this:

http://store.treocentral.com/content.../73-75--13.htm

Is there an adapter I could use available at Radio $hack? I'd like to save myself a mail order if possible.

TS
    EDIT: nevermind - I'm stoopid

Steve
  6.    #6  
    Ok I'm still a little confused on this. I'm using the above mentioned headset adapter and hear everything in Stereo just fine. When using a headset or the FM modulator everything comes in fine. When a call comes in though it rings in stereo through the speakers and I can press answer on the screen but the other end can not hear me. I'm trying to get the microphone on the treo to work while the stereo headset is plugged in. Is this an impedance issue? (I hope not i'm to young for that...jk n/m if you don't get it)

TS
    TurboSteve - my bad. I corrected my first post - I had HIGH and LOW mixed up. LOW impedence is where the TREO detects a headset and HIGH is when it assumes there is a Mic.

It's true that the jack is a 4 conductor jack, but it also functions as a 3-conductor jack the way I described. That's why the little earpiece that comes with it works. It only has 3 conductors.

This is documented in the technical reference manual, if you want to see it.

Again, I am not positive that this is your problem. I can only tell you that I do exactly what you want to do and the mic DOES work. I'm still betting on the impedence issue. That adapter that you use merely convert from 2.5mm to 3.5mm. The one I recommend has the impedence circuit in it.

If you have a voltmeter, measure the resistance from the tip to the outer ring on the plug for your FM modulator.

========+++==+++==
    ========+++==+++===+-+
    ========+++==+++===+++B
    ========+++==+++===+-+
    ========A++==+++==

between A and B on my crude picture. If the resistance is more than 500 ohms, you have a problem. If it's more like 1K ohms, then I'm almost sure. The input resistance on the adapter I recommend is more like 20 ohms per channel. That's more like a "typical" heaphone. (actually most headphone I try are higher than that.)

Hey, it's only 10 bucks.

Jim C
  8.    #8  
    cioffij> If I understand you correctly, if the impedance is low enough the treo will continue to route stereo sound out of the headset if a call comes in and allow the internal microphone to function? I've been working on trying to get some way of this working for some time now and just can't seem to.

I went back and forth with many emails of the creator of the freedom program and he felt it should work but I could not get it to no matter what way I tried. I wantto avoid an external microphone such as the ones that come on the sedio model....

Does anyone have this working in this format? I know it works on the T600.....

TS
    I have a Seidio adaptor that lets you use your own headphones, but it also has a microphone built into the wire. As a result, I can plus in my FM Modulator and speak into the microphone, and it works. It's this: http://store.treocentral.com/content...73-75--158.htm
    Dudes:

This is so simple.
    When the caller calls you answer the call and put the call on speakerphone.
    The audio will continue to be routed via the headphone jack (and therefore, over the car speakers) and the external mic on the Treo will still pick up your voice.

I do this without complaint or any issues 3-4 times a day. Spoke to a very important suit yesterday using this method, and he had no idea I was in a car. Kid you not.

Make you sure the Treo is mounted where you can not only operate and view the screen, but also have the Treo's microphone in an opputune spot to pick up your voice the best. And in GM, cars, shove the FM modulator in the slot (if any) under the radio head unit itself - it transmits clearer.

Hope this helps, T|C'ers.
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
  11.    #11  
    Actually it's not all that simple or dozens of people in the archives wouldn'y have a problem I did though get this figured out this weekend. Using Freedom here is my wiring setup..
    palmone adapter->3 way headphone splitter (only one I had)->splits to a pair of sony earbud headphones I had and split 2 goes to my FM modulator with the 3rd going to nothing. At first people still could not hear me, then while in a call I pressed the home button to fiddle with freedom while still in a call and viola they can now hear me. I returned to the phone app and finished my call. Next call that came in worked as it should (no going in to palm home) and so forth. I have not had to go back out of the phone app again but for some reason I had to do it the first time and it's worked ever since.

My freedom settings are:
    enable freedom checked
    manual set to Speaker
    default to speaker on soft reset
    Mic Volume set on max (and it remembers this even though the author says it wont)

Hope this helps someone else.
    TS
    TurboSteve,

I lost track of this thread. Are you still having trouble? I guarantee this works - I do it all the time. The internal mic WILL work if the device plugged into the headset jack is determined to NOT be a microphone, like I described earlier. Have you bought the adapter I mentioned?

JC
  13.    #13  
    yeah it does work, but I'm having trouble with certain phone calls don't ring /shrugs...

TS
    I was having the same problem as described by turbosteve. I could hear people fine over my vehicle speakers using a FM transmitter, but people couldn't hear me talking regardless how loud I was speaking.

I decided to follow the advice of cioffij and purchase the Seidio Audio-Out Coupler for Treo 650 to see if that was my problem. I also purchased the Seidio Stereo Adapter for Treo 650 that I was planning on using for stero headphones at the same time, since it wouldn't change the shipping cost. The two adapters arrived today and I was disappointed to find out that the audio-out coupler came with a 3.5mm jack (for some reason, I thought it had a 2.5mm jack).

I ended up having to use the 2.5 mm headset jack into a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack along with the audio-out coupler (I knew I should have ordered 3 or 4 of them at the time)

I hooked everything up and tried it out. I called my brother and he was able to hear me fine and I could hear him loud and clear through the speakers. I called a couple of other people to verify it worked properly and everyone said they could hear me crystal clear. Incoming calls work fine as well. The thing I noticed, was when a call came in, it rang on the phone instead of over the speakers. Once you pick up the call it is picked up over the speakers again.

The only thing I have to do now, is throw away the junky adapters I bought at RadioShack and buy more Seidio Stereo Adapters for Treo 650 to use with my headphones and portable speakers.

Thanks for the advice cioffij about the audio-out coupler.
    Seems the Treo has 3 levels (or more) or impedance sensing.

If you have real high impedance in your audio, you will not get the Treo to shut off the internal speaker and route the audio via the jack.

If your impedance is not too high, you will get stereo sound via the jack, but when you get a call it somehow thinks that there is a mic connected.

Under low impedance use, like a good pair of stereo headphone, everything works normal and the internal mic works great for phone calls.

I beleive the adapter the seidio sells just has a resistance from each channel to ground. A 500 ohm R from the right channel to GRN get you stereo sound, another 500 ohm R (or less) is needed on the left channel to activate the internal mic.

I am close to integrating this impedance fix into my 3.5 audio jack hack. The tricky part is switching on/off the fix!!

StrangeReaction,

How is the sound quality with the coupler adapter compared to without? Does the internal speaker still stay off when you disconnect the FM modulator only? leaving in the adapters. Thanks in advance.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    How is the sound quality with the coupler adapter compared to without?
    I didn't notice any difference in sound with or without the audio-out coupler. My hearing isn't that great though. People just can't hear me talking without the coupler hooked up, just using the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Does the internal speaker still stay off when you disconnect the FM modulator only? leaving in the adapters. Thanks in advance.
    I only tried it once, but when I was on a phone call, I disconnected the audio-out coupler and it disconnected my phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    I didn't notice any difference in sound with or without the audio-out coupler. My hearing isn't that great though. People just can't hear me talking without the coupler hooked up, just using the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.

I only tried it once, but when I was on a phone call, I disconnected the audio-out coupler and it disconnected my phone call.
    The audio quality via the FM modulator is ok to poor, so you should not notice a difference. As far as being disconnected, it makes sense. Removing the coupler is like pressing the button on the headset. I would guess that if you remove the FM modulator only, it would not disconnect.

what you could do is get a FM modulator with a 2.5mm jack, take it apart and add the resistors and you would not have to use any adapters.
    what you could do is get a FM modulator with a 2.5mm jack, take it apart and add the resistors and you would not have to use any adapters.

I just verified it! Added two 500 ohm resistors inside my Belkin FM transmitter and now I can use it for hands free with my FM radio... and it sounds ok. I didn't get a nasty echo but it does sound like I am in the shower.

I will have a how-to on my site later tonight. Took me less than 10 min to do...
    hmm, i measured my fm modulator and it reads 980ohms per channel or so but it works fine with my treo... unfortunately the thing i want to use it mostly with is a headphone amplifier, which measures out to 10k ohms per channel. any way to make the thing go down? perhaps put something in parallel sequence to drop the total impedence? ive been searching, but most information pointed to those adapters, but i dont want to add impedence, i want to reduce it.
    Hi
    I have always used my 650 with a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter with an FM transmitter and it works perfectly.

AS a result of reading these postings I tried to use the Seido adapter -- It works with the FM transmitter for about 30 or 40 seconds and then turns off. -- I think the FM transmitter is not getting enough of a signal and thinks I have nothing attached and just shuts itself off.

I am no electrician but it sounds like it is an impedance problem.

Can anyone help ????

Thanks
    fred
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast