View Poll Results: How many times per day does your Treo reset?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll

154 61.35%
  • 1-5

83 33.07%
  • 6-9

14 5.58%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since I'm now averaging at least 10 times per day, I was curious what others are experiencing.

Edit: The "10 or more" option disappeared from the poll and dumped my vote into the 1-5 category. I don't know what that is all about but I can't delete this thread to fix it.
    Last edited by xpdnc; 11/08/2005 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Poll not displaying properly
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    No offense there xpdnc, but I think this is a wasted poll. The reset issue has been talked about probably a thousand times, and really it all comes back to personal responsibility in software management. Some apps are going to cause it depending on it's compatibility and where you're storing the .prc in reference to the location of the database.

Not sure if you know this or not, but everytime your T650 does a reset, you can type in "##377" when in the phone app and then hit the green phone, and this will give you the System Error Log, meaning it will show you what caused the last reset. Here's a screenshot from a reset that occured on me earlier in the evening...not sure why since it happened when I ended a call to voicemail, but...what are ya gonna do ya know.

http://www.planetmills.com/images/syslog.jpg
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Delete your Saved Preferences file, after backing it up, and re-enter all your reg codes and set ups and I bet you will not get any resets.

I've gone from 3 a day to 1 a month since I did that.

Try doing a hard reset and running for a day without all the apps you have installed and see if it resets. If it still does, then you've got a faulty unit, otherwise it's a clash as millsda2 says.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Not voting, as said, useless poll. Find the offending bad third-party program(s) and remove/update them. No resets here for months except AvantGo online mode sometimes.
    I find that the "##377" is often not very detailed. What I did was install Crash Pro, by 79bmedia, and started logging my crashes. I was then able to see some common themes with my crashes which led to my Treo being replaced due to a hardware (memory) problem. You might want to try something similar. In my case the problem was not software, so no combination of updates was going to eliminate crashing. You might want to try the same.

My Treo almost never crashes now (once every couple of weeks maybe) and when it does, it's usually when I have a poor signal and I'm bouncing between a roaming and normal signal and Sprint Vision can't keep up.
    The reset issue has been talked about probably a thousand times, and really it all comes back to personal responsibility in software management.
    I'm sorry but I think you're wrong.

A good device don't crashes 10 times per day, nor ten times per month, and maybe nor 10 times per year.

Simply the treo has a crappy gsm part and a unstable obsolete os, in a good form factor phone.

The last reset I had on my, 3 years old, Sonyericsson p800 was in august 2004, the my nokia 6630 was resettet a couples of times after 1,5 GB (gigabyte) of continuos downloading.

I like the treo but is only a toy, joke, an hacker oriented device. Is fine tryign various home mades rom, but if you have to do some busines with it you re in a wrong way
    Last edited by The Solutor; 11/08/2005 at 08:37 AM.
    Why would you tolerate a phone that resets 10 times per day?
    Given the amount of Treo's sold, I don't think they are "toy, joke, and hacker oriented" devices (although many of us here are "hacking" it for lack of a better term). That doesn't mean, however, that some are not going to have problems with the device itself.

Is the Treo perfect, no, but yours should not crash that much. Let us know what errors you are getting if you'd like some support.
    I agree with solutor. I am in a place in life where I have no time to dink around with my cellphone. I need it to work reliably. I need remote data connections. I need it to hold personal information and I need to be able to phone people without dropped calls and missed incoming calls.

I cannot tell you how many times I have pulled my treo 650 out of the pocket and found that it had powered off autonomously.

I am not a newbie. I had the original Palm Professional, the kyocera 6035, the Samsung I500 and now the treo 650. I have been using cellular since 1993 - first signed up with LA Cellular who was acquired by AT&T Wireless - then switched to Sprint and now I am with Cingular. I feel I have navigated that battlefield with above average skill.

Yeah, the T650 is cool. The form factor is the best you can get now. The screen is a work of art. As for quality - they took that page out of the Microsoft playbook. Get it out there and let the customer base find the problems/bugs.
    Given the amount of Treo's sold
    Whats the amount of treo sold ? Are you thinking that are more treos than nokias, are you joking ?

In italy in the first marketing weeks of marketing the number of sold p800s was about 24000.

If you consider that italy is a little country and p800's cost was 799 € you can think a bit about "large numbers"
    Quote Originally Posted by ghiscott
    I cannot tell you how many times I have pulled my treo 650 out of the pocket and found that it had powered off autonomously..
    Bad sim tray. Replace it or shim it.
    my last reset was a week ago.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor
    Whats the amount of treo sold ? Are you thinking that are more treos than nokias, are you joking ?

In italy in the first marketing weeks of marketing the number of sold p800s was about 24000.

If you consider that italy is a little country and p800's cost was 799 Ä you can think a bit about "large numbers"
    I am primarily referring to the reported quantity sold monthly as an indicator of volume onto itself. I can't quote the figures but they have been widely reported in the industry. I am not making a comparison to US or worldwide traditional cell phone sales or worldwide sales of Symbian-based phones.

I can understand that people expect a high-end device to operate the way it is advertised Ė nothing wrong with that. At the same time, I donít understand people that make high-end purchases without doing research first. Many people take the plunge without looking; I just donít see the logic. When you are staring at a 1 to 2-year commitment and an out-the-door cost of $400+, you owe it to yourself to check things out first if you are not willing to take the potential risk with this type of technology. Palm Garnet is really long-in-the-tooth and IMO itís being pushed to support things beyond its original intent - its probably going to have some issues.

At the same time, the Treo is a hot seller in the US smart phone space. I donít want to sound like a Palm apologist but if everyone had the problems reported on this board, that simply would not be the case. Be it Palm, Microsoft, GM or Nabisco; these companies only stay in business by making a profit (okay, I wonder about GM). The consumer needs to be responsible with his/her purchasing power. If all consumers behaved that way, there would be a lot fewer shoddy products on the market.
    Never.
    "'Form follows function' ó that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    0 times per day. Still on my first Treo 650 running Sprint firmware 1.12. I've dropped it several times (hard) too, so it takes a licking and keeps on ticking...
    At the same time, the Treo is a hot seller in the US smart phone space. I don’t want to sound like a Palm apologist but if everyone had the problems reported on this board, that simply would not be the case. Be it Palm, Microsoft, GM or Nabisco; these companies only stay in business by making a profit (okay, I wonder about GM). The consumer needs to be responsible with his/her purchasing power.
    I agree whit this, but I think this has nothing to do whit the treo’s case.

The my treo was resetting for the first time BEFORE I've installed anything, in what I'm wrong ? Is the treo that is wrong, NOT me.

Well would you speak about the audio quality ? Have you ever heard a Sonyericson P800/P900/P910 or even a cheap nokia or Motorola ?

Can a 799$ device have the same audio quality of a Marconi’s radio ?

Frankly the treo sells well in US because the lack of CDMA versions of PX00, and because the lack of knowledge of the US consumers. Cell phones was arrived too late in US an the producers are not at the same level of European ones, and the consumer request are not at the same level of the European people. This is the problem if Palm was in Europe probably was bankruptcy or bought by another company.

I’m sorry for the my poor English.
    The my treo was resetting for the first time BEFORE I've installed anything, in what I'm wrong ? Is the treo that is wrong, NOT me.
    If this is the case then I agree with you. Have you tried to return it? Maybe you just got a bad device.
    Well would you speak about the audio quality ? Have you ever heard a Sonyericson P800/P900/P910 or even a cheap nokia or Motorola ?
    I agree again, the audio quality should be much better with the Treo. I use a Bluetooth headset but would otherwise find the phone unusable in most situations were it not for VolumeCare, a third party app that should not be necessary.
    Frankly the treo sells well in US because the lack of CDMA versions of PX00, and because the lack of knowledge of the US consumers. Cell phones was arrived too late in US an the producers are not at the same level of European ones, and the consumer request are not at the same level of the European people. This is the problem if Palm was in Europe probably was bankruptcy or bought by another company.
    Clearly Symbian is so big worldwide because it works well. US cell consumers would be better served with one standard infrastructure (GSM) and a variety of hardware and software vendors. However, competition is the American-way so this is not likely to change anytime soon.
    Iím sorry for the my poor English.
    Your English is just fine.
    If this is the case then I agree with you. Have you tried to return it? Maybe you just got a bad device.
    Yes, my treo is now out for repairs, Now the problem is, maybe I'm unlucky, but how many customers are unlucky too ?

I'm a moderator on an Italian forum (about 28000 users) and I have a good feedback on percentage of faulty devices and my feeling is that there are a lot of faulty palm devices lying around.

If you look at the sonyericsson room the people ask about programs, about services, about accessory, if you look at the Treos room the people mainly ask about freezing, hanging, crashing

However, competition is the American-way so this is not likely to change anytime soon.
    I have no doubt on this, but I'm speaking about the actual situation not the future one.
    It's funny, some weeks I will have no reset then other weeks I will have 3 or more per day and freeze ups. Been fine for the past week though. Got my fingers crossed.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Since I installed the latest versions of Keguard + time (v 5.1.0) and TakePhone (build 095), I have not had a single reset, going on four days now. Cross my fingers, Cingualr firmware 1.15-CNG firmware 01.31 is now bug free on my phone.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast