View Poll Results: How many times per day does your Treo reset?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll

154 61.35%
  • 1-5

83 33.07%
  • 6-9

14 5.58%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by tcens
    Can anyone tell me why or what I should do?- My treo crashes at least twice a day and every time I do ##377 it says it was caused by Zlauncher "fatal exception".
    Have you tried removing ZLauncher and see if it solves the problem.
    If it helps you can then put ZLauncher back on and hope that the problem does not return.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    my vzw 650 is bulletproof. hardware b, 1.03 rom, 5mb free.

the keys to a stable phone are -

1. buy a new treo only after 3-6 months of introduction and/or 1-2 rom upgrades. give them a chance to work out the bugs.
    2. buy from a reputable carrier - ie verizon.
    3. do a fresh clean initial uninstall then install with the CD that came with the phone. don't just sync it over with old software.
    4. always leave at least 1-2 MB RAM free.
    5. don't install any hacky software.

if you do the above, your phone will be stable.

have a happy new year.
    What do you call hacky software ?
    Thought of the day :
    Mt Treo has been resseting and losing all of its setting for three days in a row already!!!!! I dont know what happend it was very stable for a long while.
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    because my resets are dependent on how many times i use my softwares such as funsms. after i access my funsms and i exit it then it resets...i have grown accustomed to it already that i know it is already part and parcel of my usage.
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    What do you call hacky software ?
    Anything that modifies the OS.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    So in other words, all the much-needed apps like Butler, PDANet, VolumeCare, VeriChat (or any other push/chat/email app), Ringo, Radio Control, BtnFix, BtnMgr and MANY MORE are all expected to cause daily resets and we get what we deserve?

I guess my friend who has a grand total of about 3 apps on his Cingular 650 who can successfully answer a call maybe half the time (the other half, you hear a tone chime and the nice lady's voice telling you that number is not in service)... He ought to really be able to 'manage his software' better.

Yeah, that user error factor is a real biznatch.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    There are no other phones that let you make as many deep changes to their operation; you either like the way your RAZR works or you don't and if there's no option to do X, you don't get to do X. There is no other PDA product on the market with as many versions (GSM unlocked, Cingular, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, etc with a dozen ROM releases for each).

This means that all those 3rd party apps are chasing a moving target and are quite possibly stepping on each other as they come from different vendors. So you, as the user who feels a dozen apps are "vital", are responsible for making sure they work together. GM won't lift a finger to help fix your car if you put an aftermarket turbocharger, radiator, transmission, alternator, fuel pump, master cylinder, and computer software on your car and then complain that "it doesn't always start."

FWIW: there appear far more complaints about Cingular Treos than any other type on these boards. I'm currently terrified my boss (Who has a Cingular Treo) will come down with the "dead microphone" syndrome. His treo is already waaaay slower than my Sprint Treo for no good reason I can figure out.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    One way that I eliminated resets was to install start fresh with a hard reset and then reinstall all my apps one at a time. I did the whole process for each program, including a soft reset afterwords. In the past, I would load every program conceivable in the install tool and then let her rip. Not anymore. It really made a difference. At least for me.
    I purposely reset my 650 every morning, as rBackup uses up a tremendous amount of dbcache, and it doesn't seem to be well released. My treo then runs all day quite happily. I am trying to get resco to add a reset in the backup procedure, then I won't have to mess with the manual morning reset (it'll get done right after the backup is finished at 3am).
    Can someone out there help me? My treo 650 resets about 20 times a day. this started happening about 2 weeks ago. so finally, i had to hard reset which purge all of my 3rd party software. But that did not work and i'm not sure why. it still resets about 20 times a day. Does anyone have this problem?
    Did you resync and bring all the third party software back?

If so, you may have brought the problem back, with the re-sync.

You probably have a third party software corruption somewhere, the sledgehammer cure is a clean install: (You were 1/2 way there.)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...85&postcount=8

Cheers, Perry.

Or are you saying it continues to reset in a clean, out of the box, just hard reset state?
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/30/2006 at 08:48 PM.
    i'm like at 1-2 tiems a day...
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    i did not install any 3rd party software yet. I was going to wait a day or two, but noticed that it was still restarting. does that mean that i have a virus in my treo?
    I think you would be the first with a PalmOS virus.

If the Treo is still resetting after a hard reset, in a completely clean condition, with no data or 3rd party software on board -- I would suggest a trip or a call to your carrier. It should not do that in a clean out of box condition.

Sorry, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/30/2006 at 09:21 PM.
    Usually, zero... as I've got to a point when I can normally
    predict when the Treo is going to reset... It's usually when
    I'm using pTunes or one of the "heavier" apps AND I choose
    to do something stupid like use the DBCacheDA or MemInfo to
    clear the memory.

Having said that, I still have to deal with spontaneous resets
    averaging around three a week.

- mvk
    Game over!
    The other thing that my treo 650 does is light up at exactly 12:09am every day of the week. Sometimes, i can be doing something not realizing the time until my treo comes on for about 30 seconds. Does anyone know what that's about?
    Mine resets depending upon my usage of MobiTV and Vericrash. If I don't ever use either of those, I almost never get a reset. But, I can't really find anything that's better than Vericrash(even when considering the occasional reset from it), and as far as I know there really isn't any substitute for MobiTV.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by askcpa
    i did not install any 3rd party software yet. I was going to wait a day or two, but noticed that it was still restarting. does that mean that i have a virus in my treo?
    If you have done a Hard Reset and NOT hotsync'ed anything back, not even your memos' / To Do's / Diary events etc and it keeps reseting, then you have a faulty unit.

Have you uploaded a custom ROM? If not, then if your Palm is completely cleaned out by the Hard Reset it is 100% a hardware problem.
    Thought of the day :
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    Usually, ... It's usually when
    I'm using pTunes or one of the "heavier" apps AND I choose
    to do something stupid like use the DBCacheDA or MemInfo to
    clear the memory.
    - mvk
    This sounds like a classic low DbCache problem.

I used to get the same problem when I ran my Satnav app.

I solved it in 2 ways.

1. I installed UDMH, which makes unused "other memory" available as Dynamic Heap memory, which is where apps store temporary data while they are running. Try this first as it's shareware with time limited full use
    http://palmpowerups.com/modules.php?...showpage&pid=2

2. Make a custom ROM and remove as much from ROM as possible. This will increase the amount of DbCache, which will make your Treo more stable.
    This is a complex subject, but it's better to remove an app from ROM and then put it into RAM. I've done this with Blazer for example.
    Some users strip out things they don't use, like Real Player etc, but then try and fill up the ROM space with 3rd party apps. This is fine if you don't have DbCache problems.

Plus it's a good idea to delete and rebuild your Saved Preferences file if your getting lots of resets.

Try "1." first, then your Saved Pref file and finally the ROM if you still have no joy. With the new ROM tool, the ROM is V.easy to change.
    Thought of the day :
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234