1.    #1  
    I have a VZW Treo 650 and I was wondering I see people talking about watching movies on it. Do you mean an actual full length film? What site do you purchase them from? I have a flight coming up next month and I would like to get some on my SD card and watch them.
    Last edited by Buldawg; 11/17/2005 at 04:55 PM.
    A couple of things are need to do it....

1. An application on your PC which takes your own DVDs and converts them to a format which is playable on the Treo.

2. An application on the Treo to play the movie files.

Personally I use the following two applications:

Pocket DVD Studio for converting the DVDs and MMPlayer for watching them on the Treo.

There's also Pocket DVD Wizard for the converting and Kimona for the playing.

And yes, you can watch full length films. Had a trip last week. I watched "Friday Night Lights" on the way down and "Dodgeball" on the way back.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Love the programs you suggested and am using them NOW on a trial basis but will probably purchase them. HOWEVER, Pocket DVD Studio works great, BUT am having problems with 'syncing' and getting a short clip to play on MMPlayer!. On my Treo 650, I can get a clip on play on the "Media" icon, but again, it will not, and I can NOT find it on the MMPlayer program.

Any suggestions. I think where I'm getting confused is what to do AFTER I have stopped recording (a minute or two on the trial version) from the Pocket DVD Studio. Not really sure about format or how to 'precisely' get it on an external card OR the Treo 650. I have plenty of room on the card but it does NOT show up.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron
    wxman@flash.net
    As a side note...if you have kids, it's definitely worth it! I can't even tell you the amount of times it has saved my sanity when in the car for any length of time and my 4 year old gets antsy. I just queue up Cinderella or some other movie that I've converted for her and away she goes. I can typically store about 3 full length movies on my 1GB card. I could probably store more, but I have songs that I keep on there all the time.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    you might also try TCPMP. "The Core Pocket Media Player".

this not only plays dvd movies but also music. AND.... its free!!!

you can download it over at www.mytreo.net. register as a new user, sign in and you can download it straight from that site.

a lot of people rave about tcpmp. I'm included. but MMplayer is good too.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball
    Love the programs you suggested and am using them NOW on a trial basis but will probably purchase them. HOWEVER, Pocket DVD Studio works great, BUT am having problems with 'syncing' and getting a short clip to play on MMPlayer!. On my Treo 650, I can get a clip on play on the "Media" icon, but again, it will not, and I can NOT find it on the MMPlayer program.

Any suggestions. I think where I'm getting confused is what to do AFTER I have stopped recording (a minute or two on the trial version) from the Pocket DVD Studio. Not really sure about format or how to 'precisely' get it on an external card OR the Treo 650. I have plenty of room on the card but it does NOT show up.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron
    wxman@flash.net
    The best way to get it on your card is via a card/reader writer.

As for the settings you only need to set the "output" settings to PALM.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    SHould it THEN take care of it playing on the MMPlayer. I like the player, but am having problems IT finding the file to play! I will try the free program.
    I also noticed that playing a DVD is a little "jumpy" at times and NOT 100% smooth....should I have expected this?

It DOES play a heck of a lot cleaner than the Kyocera 7135 I had.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ron
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Love the program to play movies...both DVD and Video from my digital camera. BUT, I'm afraid I have TOO many plugins for what I want and it's taking up a lot of space on my SD Card.

All I want is to play a few DVD's (which I can do with a program installed in my Laptop) and a few videos from my camera. Which plugins do I want so I don't download EVERYONE one of them...and there are many! Which ones will I NOT probably use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ron
    wxman@flash.net
  9.    #9  
    I have one question, do I keep Xvid running in the background when DVD Studio is converting the movie?
    Last edited by Buldawg; 11/18/2005 at 09:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I went with Igreendbergs suggestions on these two programs.
    Here are my comments after using the Pocket DVD and MMPlayer programs:

This combo is working great for me . . . Full length movies on the Treo 650. Amazing and was quite simple to install. Now I just put a DVD in my notebook and Pocket DVD converts a movie to a compressed file and after just copy the file off your desktop to an SD card in a cardreader (cardreader is fastest and best way) and the transfer is almost instant.
    To view the movie just open up MMPlayer on the Treo (MMPlayer also plays music files).
    Each full length movie averages about 200 MB, so I just ordered another 1 GB card for under $50 to keep 4 or 5 movies on. Great while traveling, planes hotels etc and for those bored times while my Wife is mall or food shopping and I'm hanging around waiting for her.

Owned the Treo 650 for a few months now, wanted a DVD player from first day but waited for awhile to make sure all my programs were getting along with each other first. Read thru posts on topic here and over at TreoCentral and sorted thru the many suggested programs for watching movies (some are even free).
    But I liked the simplicity of Pocket DVD $32 and MMPlayer $17.95 and latest version is said to work very well with the 650, no conflicts with my other porgrams or resets (yet).

IMO . . . for both programs and for under $50 . . . it's a small investment for it's ongoing entertainment value.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball
    All I want is to play a few DVD's (which I can do with a program installed in my Laptop) and a few videos from my camera. Which plugins do I want so I don't download EVERYONE one of them...and there are many! Which ones will I NOT probably use?
    I use FairUse Wizard to convert DVD's to ogm format, then load to my SD Card with a card reader and play using TCPMP. Load the "tcpmp_vorbishq_plugin.prc" to play the ogm (as well as ogg) files. The only others plugin's I've loaded are the "tcpmp_mpeg4_plugin" to play any mpeg files, and the "tcpmp_mp3_plugin" that will play mp3's and avi's.
    Check the Multimedia forum. It is easy to rip movies to DVD and play them on the Treo 650, all for free.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.