Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I've got to be be missing something here. I read through the thread about must have applications and Zlauncher kept coming up.

I installed Zlauncher, and honestly, I'm hard pressed to see why I should part with $20 to buy this program, or any other replacement for the standard file launcher.

I could see it's usefullness on a PDA without a built-in keyboard, but with a Treo 650, Ii's far easier to 1) push the home key 2) enter the first one or two letters of the app's name 3) hit the center key. Voila. Program launched. It even launches programs off the SD card.

I tried messing around with the quick launch, but that is still less efficient than the above.

It does have a file manager, but I'm having a hard time to find anything really useful to do with it. I couldn't care less about installing pretty backgrounds on the phone either.

Is there some big reason to get Zlauncher for a Treo that I am missing?
    Besides the "pretty" look to it (via skis, icons and backgrounds) I'd say the important features you failed to mention are:

-Plug ins
    -Tabs
    -SD card support
    -Trash bin

I'm sure I'm forgetting others too. I had always been a Launcher X user until I got the 650 and it didn't work. I switched to Z Launcher and haven't looked back. I had tried Z Launcher in the past with other devices but it never wowed me. Once I actually started using it, since there was no other option, I saw how great it really is.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "
    -Plug ins
    -Tabs
    -SD card support
    -Trash bin"

Well, ok. But I can get pretty good SD card support as is. If I want to launch a program off the SD card I just hit the 'Home' button twice in quick succession and it switches to the SD card. (I've deleted all the categories and thus, this is now the defualt behavior.) I can just type the first letter of the app after that. This requires less button clicks than quick launch with Zlauncher. I only use about ten programs regularly so it's pretty easy to remember the names and whether they are on the SD card or in memory.

I have not looked into the plug-ins. If there are a bunch of free ones, well maybe that could justify the program. Other than that, this leaves the trash bin.
    If you only use ten programs you're right, you have no use for Z Launcher.
    You forgot moving application *data* to the SD card as well.. But yeah, 10 programs? You don't need ZL.

Another reason to have ZLauncher is if you use a hard case.. the 5-way nav (and of course QuickLaunch Anywhere) makes launching stuff much faster than scrolling and scrolling.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "If you only use ten programs you're right, you have no use for Z Launcher."

Ok. That's the conclusion I was coming to. Thanks.

I guess I'm just not a power user. I really only use the following

Versamail
    Blazer
    Directory Assistance
    Pocket tunes
    Kmaps
    Camera (linked to the side button tho')
    Hotsync
    Pics and video
    Tcpmp
    Bluetooth
    Memos

Of course, I use the calendar, contacts, tasks, all the time, but these have dedicated hardware buttons, so the use of a launcher program is superfluous.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "You forgot moving application *data* to the SD card as well.. But yeah, 10 programs? You don't need ZL."

I could see how that could be useful as well, but I've got an integrated SD card reader in my laptop, so that takes care of that. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_treo
    "
    -
    Well, ok. But I can get pretty good SD card support as is. If I want to launch a program off the SD card I just hit the 'Home' button twice in quick succession and it switches to the SD card. (I've deleted all the categories and thus, this is now the defualt behavior.) I can just type the first letter of the app after that. This requires less button clicks than quick launch with Zlauncher. I only use about ten programs regularly so it's pretty easy to remember the names and whether they are on the SD card or in memory.

I have not looked into the plug-ins. If there are a bunch of free ones, well maybe that could justify the program. Other than that, this leaves the trash bin.

Sound like Initiate might be a better fit for you than zlauncher:

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/Initiate_more.php

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_treo
    "You forgot moving application *data* to the SD card as well.. But yeah, 10 programs? You don't need ZL."

I could see how that could be useful as well, but I've got an integrated SD card reader in my laptop, so that takes care of that. Thanks again.
    No, I guess I wasn't clear.. A lot of large Palm programs are not just PRC files (that can be moved to SD card in /palm/launcher) but also PDB files. You can't move these PDB files anywhere on the SD card unless the program specifically supports it. ZLauncher's shortcuts can also move the pdb files to the SD card, saving significant space for some programs.

But yeah, unless you're running out of space due to pigs like kmaps (j2re really) ZL is likely more than you need. Never used PowerRun but it might be a closer match if you need to free up ram.
    I got my Treo 2 weeks ago. I had used AppShelf as my launcher previously but was told that it wasn't good with the Treo. I tried Initiate but I found it awkward and unattractive. I then went to a trial of ZLauncher. I loved the toolbar and the amount of information I could get on the screen. It had a pretty good file manageer that was easy to access. The tabs were vey convenient to use. In short I was sold on it.
    Here's my problem--twice it has crashed on me and I have lost all my customized settings. I would put u7p with this if there was a way to backup the settings but I am not going to keep redoing them. Any other more stable launches I should try?
    Did you only lose zlauncher settings or other settings, like registration codes for other apps?

If more than zlauncher, this is a known issue....search for saved preferences. Basically you want to copy your saved and unsaved preferences files to a directory on your SD card (assuming you have one). Then any time you make settings changes, copy the new saved and unsaved prefs files. If you crash and lose settings...copy them back into ram. Seems to be working for some users anyway.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Thank you, I did need to reregister alot of applications. I like ZLauncher well enough that I am willing to go to some trouble to keep it working.
    I don't think zlauncher caused that issue...I think the preferences db is just unstable because so many apps write to it. Search for that thread for more info.
    - Albert Einstein
    I beleive there are two bugs....

1. A soft reset returns you to the default Palm launcher. At that time most of your registration codes are gone and all your apps are not in their previously placed categories in Z Launcher.

2. A soft reset returns you to Z Launcher but all of your apps are not in their previously placed categories.

I've experienced both. #2 more often though.
    Backup fixes both of them.. Restore unsaved preferences and saved preferences for #1 and zl* files for #2. Maybe just ZL_Categories but not sure.

As I say all the time now, since I started with Resco Locker and locked my resident programs including ZLauncher I haven't had any such database loss.
    I restore the ZLauncherDB file after #2 and it's fully restored.

For #1 I always do a full restore from Back Up Man.
    You could restore your Saved Preferences from a backup to resolve #1 without having to restore completely. I used to do it all the time, but have recently not had that problem.
    i don't like launchers - too much unnecessary bloat.
    I have 17M of files in my /palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps directory. That's 17M of files that'd be in the Palm ram otherwise.

That would definately be bloat. But to each his/her/its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I have 17M of files in my /palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps directory. That's 17M of files that'd be in the Palm ram otherwise.

That would definately be bloat. But to each his/her/its own.
    That's exactly why I started using zlauncher. Powerrun was too unstable for me. Added bonus....zlauncher can be made to look awesome!
    - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast