Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I find that PowerRun does essentialy the same thing in terms as moving apps AND their data files to the SD card, BUT it doesn't take up a megabyte of ram on its own like Zlauncher (or however much ram it uses).

I was a very VERY longtime user of LauncherX, but I must agree with the original poster, with the treo's keyboard, I can launch pretty much ANY app by tapping a few keys and hitting the center button.

For quick lanches, I use Butler.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    I find that PowerRun does essentialy the same thing in terms as moving apps AND their data files to the SD card, BUT it doesn't take up a megabyte of ram on its own like Zlauncher (or however much ram it uses).
    I agree it is SUPPOSED to provide that same functionality (though zlauncher can do much, much more), but as I stated Powerrun was unstable. I kept getting errors after a reset and had to reinstall powerrun at least a dozen times over the 3 months I was using it. Glad it works better for you.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "I have 17M of files in my /palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps directory. That's 17M of files that'd be in the Palm ram otherwise.

That would definately be bloat. But to each his/her/its own.
    "

I also have a number of programs installed to the SD card. But I don't use zlauncher to access them. It's easy to launch them: Just get rid of all the categories in applications (so you are left with only 'all' and 'card'). Whenever you want to launch something off the card, hit the Home key twice to bring up the sd card and then type the first, maybe second, letter of the app and then center key. You will memorize the 1-2 letter code for each program and whether it's on card or in memory within the first week; the method is fast and requires only a single hand.
    Last edited by Tim_treo; 11/14/2005 at 10:06 AM.
    Read mah lips... 17M of files includes a lot of data, in fact I'd bet 5M of that is databases. You can't move those to the SD card with the stock launcher.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "Read mah lips... "

Well yes sir.

Why not just install apps to the the SD card in the first place and never have to bother moving it to the SD card from memory? At least the couple dozen apps I've tried install to the SD card fine. I can see your point if the program specifically forbids this, ok? I guess this speaks directly to my first question - does zlauncher specifically enable you to run some programs (and their data) entirely from the SD card where it would have been impossible otherwise? If so, then I see how it could be a very useful program for some apps. Otherwise it seems like bloat.
    Last edited by Tim_treo; 11/14/2005 at 12:39 PM.
    Zlauncher and PowerRun work differently than the stock Palm method of using the card.

With the palm method, the main app is moved to the card, but all of that application's data files and support files (if any) still reside in the main RAM memory.

With Zlauncher and PowerRun, these programs move the app AND ALL OF ITS DATA AND SUPPORT FILES to a folder on the SD card, and then create a "shortcut" in the main RAM. Then when you open the app by tapping on its shortcut, Zlauncher or PowerRun copies the app and its sundry files into main Ram and then runs the program. When you are finished with the program, any updated data files are automatically copied back to the SD card, and the app that was copied over to ram is deleted, freeing the memory up.

Though it sounds complicated and potentially frought with problems, the system works very well, especially if you have a fast SDcard.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "Zlauncher and PowerRun work differently than the stock Palm method of using the card."

Thanks. I'll read up a little when I get a chance on the Palm OS and how it works differently from Windows so I can understand what's going on here.
    Sorry about that, I thought you understood what I was meaning. Yes, wernst explained it a little better than I did, in that by default the Palm launcher can't handle program data being on the SD card without specific program support. Certainly some programs can read their PDB's from SD card, but ZLauncher can move any program and its data to SD card.

Of course what it does is move it, create a shortcut, then when launched it copies the files and databases into ram, and executes them. If modified, copies the databases back, otherwise deletes them. BTW this is no different than the normal palm (or other) launchers, they all copy the programs to ram to execute. Just don't support moving data too.

Of course the other big feature of Zlauncher shortcuts; they can hotsync. Programs just moved to /palm/launcher can't.
  9. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I use the Quick Launch Anywhere feature, which is very much like a Windows Start Menu. I press my side key, and a list of my favorite programs pops up. Also, a very big plus is using this feature to change your screen brightness with just one hand (Extension)! Finally, you can go quickly to a second program while keeping in RAM a program that is usually stored on the SD-card (unless the second program is also stored on the SD-card); this way you do not have to wait for ZLauncher to move the files to the SD card (Backing-Up) before launching the second program.
    Hmm, ZLauncher doesn't move anything back unless the databases are updated.. Sure you're not seeing that? I'm kinda funny though, I almost always launch everything (even using Quick Launch!) from ZLauncher itself.. I've heard problems where it didn't remove previously ran-from-SD applications from ram, or not write-back modified databases.

Only times I use QLA from program-to-program are things that don't have external databases and I know it won't be an issue, especially stuff that's in ram or rom anyway.

I do use QLA a lot though.. I have it on my Email button, my first program is Messaging, then Palm Fiction, Snapper, pTunes, Splash Shopper, Blazer, AvantGo, and TreoAlarm. My most launched programs, of course.

Oh, to add more fun, I also have press-and-hold in KeyGuardTime+ on that same key, aso I press-and-release for QLA, and press-and-hold to see the time/etc.
  11. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    By: khaytsus at Today 06:42 PM
    "Hmm, ZLauncher doesn't move anything back unless the databases are updated.. Sure you're not seeing that? I'm kinda funny though, I almost always launch everything (even using Quick Launch!) from ZLauncher itself.. I've heard problems where it didn't remove previously ran-from-SD applications from ram, or not write-back modified databases."

I'm pretty sure that I am not seeing that. For example, I can launch SnapperMail from the card, download my emails, switch to camera using QLA, and then switch back to SnapperMail using my hard button and everything is fine.

But now that you mention the issues, I must say that I have corrupted the Snapper databases twice in the past when running it from the card with ZLauncher. However, I believe that the first instance was my removing the SD card while Snapper was still in RAM, and the second was due to a memory limitation (Snapper was very large due to a large email attachment download, and I launched it).

Ever since my problems, I have made a conscious effort to first press my Home hard button (to go to ZLauncher and force the Snapper files to backup to the SD card) before removing my SD card. I have had good results so far!

Good tip on the press-and-hold and the press-and-release of the side button. I will try to set that up, although I do not have some of the programs that you mentioned. :-))
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I use PowerRun and have very few problems with it. I tend to always close what ever I was working on when I am done with it and just hit the phone button. This seems to push what ever I was doing back to the card and I get my RAM back for the next thing.

My question about zLauncher is, can it be moved to the SD Card? or does it have to remain in RAM to run?
    ZLauncher has to be in ram to run, since it can't run itself from SD card :P

ZLauncher takes up 750k, a minimal theme would be 200k or so. But the savings from moving other stuff to SD card more than makes up for it. Entirely depends on how much data you need to move to the card, such as Planetarium, some games, etc.. Also I'm not sure if PowerRun programs can be hotsynced, so that's another big one..

I dunno why so maybe people seem to want to be sold on ZLauncher, the features and flexibility sold me two years ago. If you look around you can get it for $15, so the price isn't too bad.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    That's exactly why I started using zlauncher. Powerrun was too unstable for me. Added bonus....zlauncher can be made to look awesome!
    I have been putting off trying zLauncher because I got PowerRun. But if zLauncher can move programs to my card it sounds like I may be able to do without PRPRPR $and$ $just$ $install$ $and$ $configure$ ($Yeah$!! $Learning$ $yet$ $another$ $interface$!! $Woo$ $Hoo$!!) $zLauncher$.

Before I install ZL should I move all my apps back from the card to RAM and then use ZL to move them back to the card?

Thom_D
    Definately move everything back to ram then move then back with ZLauncher.. But I'd say you could probably do this a program at a time or such.. If you're like me, you'd not have enough room to move many programs back to ram then back to SD.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12