Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    i'm very new to the world of pda-phones, so go easy on me.

my boss just got a Treo 650, and i'm in charge of making it work, lol. i need to synch Outlook (in a personal Outlook environment, no exchange servers)... but i was talking to the Verizon Rep, and he said it only synchs in one direction.

like, outlook stuff goes to the treo, but if email/task/calendar changes are made on the treo, when synched again, the changes are not put back on Outlook.

first question... is this correct?

second, if yes, what do i need to do/install/whatever to make this two-way synching possible?

hope that makes sense... thanks in advance.
    You have the option of setting it up how you want to. I assume you installed the palm desktop that came on the Palm CD. If you go to 'HotSync'-'Custom' in Palm Desktop you can change the way each item (DateBook, AddressBook, To Do List, and Memo Pad) is handled. If you click 'Change' you can have it set to either: synchronize, desktop overwrites handheld, handheld overwrites desktop, or do nothing). It sounds like you want 'Synchronize' which will always keep your info current.

I happen to be a fan of Dataviz's Beyond Contacts program which is more like Outlook. In my case I have the above settings to 'Do Nothing' because Beyond Contacts is my primary conduit for all my outlook stuff so that is set to synchronize. Whichever you use, you always have to option to set it up the way you want. Synchronization isn't really synchronization if it goes only one direction.
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Synchronization isn't really synchronization if it goes only one direction.
    thats what i told the Verizon Rep... haha.

ok, so i should see an option for it. Thanks.

i actually have not installed the Palm desktop (i'm actually not sure what this is yet) because my boss says he's reorganizing his contacts to be easier to find. so i'm going to wait to do all of that until tomorrow (hopefully).

so it sounds like the Verizon Rep was wrong? the data goes both ways, correct? (w/o the need for any other apps... which is something i'm not quite ready for yet, lol).
    The 2-way changes are capable when you make changes in the contacts, calendar, notes, and To Do's apps. These sync as you would imagine they would.

But syncing emails, those only sync one way. I'm not sure what applications you would need to get famialiar with to do that.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p