1.    #1  
    I upgraded from Win 98 to XP. Now when I try to sync my Treo 650 (USB connection) it doesn't work. The Treo returns an error message that it is unable to sync. Nothing at all happens on the computer, as if no attempt to hotsync is taking place.

I was going to download and install the newest Treo software in hopes that it would provide the needed fix. But the Palm website recommends against downloading the Treo 650 software because the supplied software with the Treo 650 is better (more apps, conduits, etc). I ran the installer anyway, but it insists on creating a Handspring program folder (there is no option to change it) but my current install is in PalmOne program folder. This is a problem because I'm going to end up with two installs and all kinds of potential problems.

How do I get my Treo to sync on my upgraded computer?

To save you the hassles, I've been to the Palm support site. Everything is compatible, USB is OK, no IRQ conficts, etc. All other USB devices work just fine.
    Sounds like the upgrade to XP crossed some things up, I use XP with my 650 with no problem.

I would back up all my Palm folders to a CD.
    Uninstall the Palm desktop.
    Erase any leftover folders, (the ones you saved to the CD)
    Re-install the Palm Desktop from the 650 CD
    Then try to resync your Treo.
    If necessary, you can restore any info from the backup you made onto the CD.

Cheers, Perry.

(If this doesn't work, you may have to get a Palm tech on the phone and ask them if you have to delete any Windows XP Registry enteries in relation to the old Palm install to completely drive a stake thru the cross up problem's heart.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/07/2005 at 07:33 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    I upgraded from Win 98 to XP. Now when I try to sync my Treo 650 (USB connection) it doesn't work. The Treo returns an error message that it is unable to sync. Nothing at all happens on the computer, as if no attempt to hotsync is taking place.

I was going to download and install the newest Treo software in hopes that it would provide the needed fix. But the Palm website recommends against downloading the Treo 650 software because the supplied software with the Treo 650 is better (more apps, conduits, etc). I ran the installer anyway, but it insists on creating a Handspring program folder (there is no option to change it) but my current install is in PalmOne program folder. This is a problem because I'm going to end up with two installs and all kinds of potential problems.

How do I get my Treo to sync on my upgraded computer?

To save you the hassles, I've been to the Palm support site. Everything is compatible, USB is OK, no IRQ conficts, etc. All other USB devices work just fine.

I got hotsync working. I just downloaded the latest from the Palm website and installed it in the default location. Before doing this I realized that the physical location of the application is in the file Handspring, but in the Start Menu there's a PalmOne folder with shortcuts to the Handspring folder.

After reinstalling I didn't lose any of the data that was already synced up on the PC or the phone, nor did I lose my synchronization settings. So if anyone reads this after an XP upgrade, go ahead an reinstall the Palm software and you should be fine.

I did have a problem with my syncs freezing which I'm pretty sure is unrelated to the upgrade. That problem is in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    I got hotsync working. I just downloaded the latest from the Palm website and installed it in the default location. Before doing this I realized that the physical location of the application is in the file Handspring, but in the Start Menu there's a PalmOne folder with shortcuts to the Handspring folder.

After reinstalling I didn't lose any of the data that was already synced up on the PC or the phone, nor did I lose my synchronization settings. So if anyone reads this after an XP upgrade, go ahead an reinstall the Palm software and you should be fine.

I did have a problem with my syncs freezing which I'm pretty sure is unrelated to the upgrade. That problem is in another thread.
    The same thing happened to me when I went from XP to XP SP2. I had to reload the Palm Desktop and everything went back to normal.
    If you upgraded from 98 to XP, you may have problems on your computer. It is always best, (like on a Palm) to do a clean, fresh install. You can do that on your computer, even from an XP upgrade disk. Just format the drive and install from the XP disk. It will ask for a previous windows version disk but will install fine.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    If you upgraded from 98 to XP, you may have problems on your computer. It is always best, (like on a Palm) to do a clean, fresh install. You can do that on your computer, even from an XP upgrade disk. Just format the drive and install from the XP disk. It will ask for a previous windows version disk but will install fine.
    A clean install is best if you don't mind reinstalling ALL your applications, losing all of your settings, all of your interconnections, etc. I would love to do a clean install -- I agree it is far better to do it that way -- but it just wasn't practical for me.

XP is far more stable than 98 ever was. But I am not seeing the performance improvement I had hoped for (even though I upgraded the entire computer - OS, CPU, motherboard, hard drive, etc.). I built a brand new computer that feels like it's stuck somewhere between 98 and XP. A clean install probably would have been better but ANYTHING is better than 98 so I won't complain too much.