1.    #1  
    Hi,

Does anyone know of an application that will set the timezone on a Sprint Treo 650 when "Enable Network Time" is checked?

Here's the scenario:
    I travel for work a lot, and I change timezones, so right now I have my phone set to NOT use network time. If I use the network time functionality, then all of my appointments are at the wrong time

Any help / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rocketdude
    Werid.

With Verizon, when I enable network time (after my plane lands, and only for a minute) the time and the timezone changes to the correct settings automatically. Then I disable Network Time and get on with my life.

Perhaps this is a Sprint-related problem.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I am on verizon and network time works great. When I travel the timezone changes.
    Why would you ever disable network time?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Although I have been told it's not true, I am convinced keeping the "enable network time" box checked spends battery power as the phone has to try and find a signal to update the clock. That's why I would disable network time.
    Sprint automatically changes time zones also, if you have Enable Network Time checked. I dont keep mine checked, but as stated above i just check it when i land, its updated, then i uncheck it again. IIRC your appt. should reflect the time change.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    You wrote:
    > I am convinced keeping the "enable network time" box checked
    > spends battery power as the phone has to try and find a signal to > update the clock.

How often do you think it updates time? Probably not that often.

Also, the phone, when on, checks in with the local cell tower, every so often, regardless of whether it is updating time.

For example, turning off the phone is not instant. This is because the phone is letting the cell tower know it is going "off"

If you call a cell phone that is off you go into voice mail immediately, versus when on when phone would ring 4 times. It can go to voice mail immediately because in the opposite case the phone is letting the cell tower know it is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave
    You wrote:
    > I am convinced keeping the "enable network time" box checked
    > spends battery power as the phone has to try and find a signal to > update the clock.

How often do you think it updates time? Probably not that often.

Also, the phone, when on, checks in with the local cell tower, every so often, regardless of whether it is updating time.

For example, turning off the phone is not instant. This is because the phone is letting the cell tower know it is going "off"

If you call a cell phone that is off you go into voice mail immediately, versus when on when phone would ring 4 times. It can go to voice mail immediately because in the opposite case the phone is letting the cell tower know it is on.

With most other palmOS phones, when "network time" is enabled, it checks the time EVERY TIME THE PDA OR PHONE IS TURNED ON. I have no reason to believe the Treo 650 is any different.

Additionally, when Network Time is enabled, it is reported by programmers who know that the clock chip in the phone resets itself from some date like 1980 at reset to whatever the current time is. Unfortunately, several programs start up between the time changes, and it can lead to instability overall.

Enabling it would slow the Kyocera 7135 to a crawl in a weak-signal area.

So for these reasons, I leave it off unless I change time zones, when I turn it on for a moment.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Okay if that is what you experienced

You wrote:
    > With most other palmOS phones, when "network time" is
    > enabled, it checks the time EVERY TIME THE PDA OR PHONE IS > TURNED ON.

Are you referring to turning the display on and off. A traditional palm is only off when you remove the battery. It may go into a power saving mode, when the display is off, but it is still on. Why would lighting the display cause it to check the time?

You also wrote:
    > Additionally, when Network Time is enabled, it is reported by
    > programmers who know that the clock chip in the phone resets > itself from some date like 1980 at reset to whatever the current > time is.

I do not know about "programmers who know" however I have personally seen this. So what? it sets the time back for a short amount of time? This is actually a good choice, if you do not know the correct time set it to some time that you know is in the past.

Setting the time to the past is okay. Setting the time to the future would cause lots of problems. Alarms woud go off prematurely, evaluation time trials would expire etc.

You also wrote:
    > Unfortunately, several programs start up between the time
    > changes, and it can lead to instability overall.

I do not know about "programs start up" however after a reset all programs are notified of the reset by the OS. However, what kind of instability are you talking about? I suppose if a particular app has a specific bug related to time going backwards. I personally have not seen that.

You also wrote:
    > Enabling it would slow the Kyocera 7135 to a crawl in a
    > weak-signal area.

If that is what you saw I cannot argue. My Kyocera never exhibited this behavior in weak signal area. My work place is a good testing ground for this because of all the high voltage equipment, xray equipment, cat scanners and is a metal industrial building. This environment causes any phone to drain its battery within a day because of the intermittant reception. The phone attempts to contact the cell tower "really hard" using more and more power.

The kyocera 7135 included. Because of this I would turn off the phone at work. However, I never saw it "slowed" down.

-Dave