Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Checked out the 'suggested threads for treo 650 users' but do not think that is the place I can find what I'm looking for.

I want the ' how not to screw up your upgrade from treo 600 to 650 ' thread link please if someone would direct me to it.

I know there is a right way and wrong way to change over from the 600 to the 650 and I would prefer to try the right way first. Cingular $139 refurb should appear first part of this week :0j
    You do not want to just sync your 650 to your 600's userid. It will create a brick, the 650 chokes on prior software settings on the 600 brought forward in this manner.

Do a last hot sync with your 600 and then follow these clean install instructions:

1. Install the Treo 650 Desktop from it's CD -- it put's 650 conduits into place.

2. Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650 (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back from the 600.

Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 650 likes it.)

You should be good to go. (Do not HotSync the 600 to this userid again -- that will mess things up.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by Bill Gamble; 03/10/2006 at 10:20 AM.
  3.    #3  
    thks
    Enjoy the 650!!
    This thread ought to be added to the sticky "suggested threads for treo 650 users" thread, please.

thanks.
    mobileuser
    [PalmCentro-Sprint / (K)Ubuntu GNU/Linux]
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    See this link for P1's upgrade page:

http://tinyurl.com/ceeze

It says to upgrade desktop software BEFORE syncing to 650.

I just got the refurb 650 from cingular for $139 (sweeet!) and the sync cable has a BIG sticker on it that reads: "Do NOT synchronize your new Treo with older versions of sync software. Please install the sync software from the included CD prior to synchronizing with your computer."

-- Dan

p.s. I like the tinyurl that was generated... easy to remember!
    Last edited by redxeth; 11/19/2005 at 01:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Is there a utility that does this? An automatic clean install one does not have to be Einstein to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Is there a utility that does this? An automatic clean install one does not have to be Einstein to use?

That would be neat!! But I am afraid my list in Post #2 is as good as it gets.

Got questions?

Cheers, Perry.
    HELP.............

Hi, my question is will this work for a 650 going to the same 650.

I have a problem withnever ending loop of restarts. I cannot reset it to wipe out all data, but a hot sinc to just install data from phone book and calender crashes unit into same loop. I deleted backupbuddy from desk top, thinking it was adding back unwanted programs, it still did not help. I also used backupbuddy to "zoom" to earlier backups and it gets stuck at "downloading main db" and then locks up my desktop, (even though the treo was hard reset before trying this!

Is there anyway to wipe the treo and bring it back to how it was out of the box and then import only my data for calendar, date book and splash photo???

btw I did try to back up from card with backupbudy on the card. back up was from before there was a problem, but even when I have done a hard reset, installing the backupbuddy from card also sends into into the endless loop!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Does it loop after a hard reset and nothing else? If so, I suspect a hardware problem.

If not, the clean install does take the backup folder out of the loop and only returns your PIM data. Then you could install the third party software fresh.
    thanks will try 1st thing in the mornning and see if not off to sprint it goes!!! take care,. jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I have just purchased a new Treo650, and plan to upgrade later from my current 600. A couple of questions:

1. It appears that the Desktop on the CD is not the latest version. I have downloaded this. Should I directly install this, or install the CD version first then upgrade? Will this affect the installation of the other software on the CD?

2. Can I maintain my current desktop to allow continued use with the old 600? Will there be any interactions, as long as I change the User name?

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris W. Green
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Install the Palm Desktop from the 650 CD over the top of the existing. This puts 650 conduits into play and the 600s will still be there.

If you give the 650 a new userid, you can continue to use both devices.

At a later date, you can either beam or migrate your PIM data.

Cheers, Perry.
    DO NOT SYNC THE 650 DIRECTLY TO YOUR 600 userid, you will create a brick.
    Thanks, Perry.

But should I install the Desktop from the CD first, then upgrade to the latest version (v4.14E) later, or can/should I directly install v4.14E?

Appreciate your guidance.

Chris
    Chris W. Green
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Just because I am a cautious paranoid type ..... I would install the Desktop from the 650 CD, then the update.

Cheers, Perry
    Hello Chris,

This is Kevin from Palm. Just install the Desktop from the CD that came with your Treo 650. It is the latest complete version.
    Version 4.1.4E is just a downloadable version for those who may have lost their original CD and it does not contain all the conduits, nor bonus software that the CD does. It is not an upgrade.
    Sorry for the confusion, I think that download page could be a bit clearer in this respect and I'll be reporting it to the appropriate department.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Dear Mr. Michaels, Any idea what Palm would have named the file, that I am supposed to rename, so that i can get my crashed treo 650, (sprint) to work. I cannot find the right file in order to do this, a search of my sinc name on windows xp, does not bring up a file with my sinc name. Help!!!

In case you missed my prior posting here is is, (please see bold text below. I think it is hardware as why should a backup from the card, several days before, I downloaded the program that caused this? After all, if I do a complete wipe of the phoen by doing a hard rest and then back up with backup buddy from the card, why should this keep happening??? thanks Jay :

HELP.............

Hi, my question is will this work for a 650 going to the same 650.

I have a problem withnever ending loop of restarts. I cannot reset it to wipe out all data, but a hot sinc to just install data from phone book and calender crashes unit into same loop. I deleted backupbuddy from desk top, thinking it was adding back unwanted programs, it still did not help. I also used backupbuddy to "zoom" to earlier backups and it gets stuck at "downloading main db" and then locks up my desktop, (even though the treo was hard reset before trying this!

Is there anyway to wipe the treo and bring it back to how it was out of the box and then import only my data for calendar, date book and splash photo???

btw I did try to back up from card with backupbudy on the card. back up was from before there was a problem, but even when I have done a hard reset, installing the backupbuddy from card also sends into into the endless loop!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

take care, jay
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 01/04/2006 at 08:25 PM.
    Thanks, Perry and Kevin, for your help and clarification.

Still not entirely clear what I should do if I want to continue to use my 600 with a new User name. Is there any problem with having Desktop v4.1 coexisting with v4.14 on the computer? Will the later hotsync still work with the 600?

Guidance appreciated...

Chris
    Chris W. Green
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by WartaAIDS
    Thanks, Perry and Kevin, for your help and clarification.

Still not entirely clear what I should do if I want to continue to use my 600 with a new User name. Is there any problem with having Desktop v4.1 coexisting with v4.14 on the computer? Will the later hotsync still work with the 600?

Guidance appreciated...

Chris

Hi Chris!

You will be okay. Install the desktop from the Treo 650 CD right over the top of the 600's. The will co-exist. I am syncing two Zire 71s, a Tungsten T3 and a Treo 650 to a multiple of overwritten desktops, the Treo 650's Desktop being the last in.

If you want to use your current 600's userid for the new 650 -- follow the clean install instructions in Post #2 above.

Then never try to sync the 600 to that userid again. You will have to hard reset it and give it a new userid on it's next hotsync and load it from scratch.

Frankly -- I would leave the 600 as is, with it's userid. Give the 650 a new userid and then beam or migrate your PIM data (Contacts, Tasks, Memos, Calendar) from the 600 to the 650. And load new 3rd party software onto the 650 fresh. You will be good to go.

Cheers, Perry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast