1.    #1  
    My battery is ailing- it's usually OK on a fresh charge, but I get dropped calls left and right if it drops below 70% or so. It's also pushing 15 months old! I just ordered a new battery off ebay for $19 shipped, but I had a question about replacement- if I leave it plugged into the charger during replacement, will I be able to replace the battery without having to restore everything?

If not, which is better, a hotsync or CardBkUp restore? Or if both, in which order? I certainly don't want to lose everything!
    I have no idea about the plugged in replacement thing.... I would avoid trying that although I don't know if you could really do any damage. But I usually hotsync, and then use some sort of backup software for the SD card. I haven't used CardBkUp, but does it image the entire memory so you can replace it later? If so, that is by far the best way to go. 5 minutes after you replace the battery the phone will be just like it was before.
    Leaving it plugged in will probably work since the circuit will pull its power from there instead of the battery. It works on laptops just fine, I'm thinking the charge/powering circuitry is similar. Back it up and hotsync before hand anyway just in case. Hotsync is what I used and it was fine. I also had a backup using Resco Explorer but didn't need to use the restore because hotsync worked perfectly fine. Do a backup so you have it in case the hotsync doesn't pan out.