1.    #1  
    What is the advantage(s) of using IMAP over POP ?
    push email for one
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    multiple locations can access the same email folders/users
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by g550guy
    push email for one

The IMAP server has to support push email for this to work correct?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    multiple locations can access the same email folders/users

Can you clairify this a bit. What do you mean by multiple locations? And, why would you want to access the same email folders/users more than once?
    A quick google search will provide you with a wealth of answeres to this question.

Here is an example: http://www.everyone.net/imap-email-vs-pop-email.html
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    POP downloads the messages to the client (unless told to leave a copy on the server) while IMAP leaves the messages on the server until they are deleted. Using IMAP allows me to check my personal email from home, work, Treo, and on the road using an Internet browser. If I was using POP the first client to "check" the mail downloads the messages so I can't read them until I get to that client.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    POP downloads the messages to the client (unless told to leave a copy on the server) while IMAP leaves the messages on the server until they are deleted. Using IMAP allows me to check my personal email from home, work, Treo, and on the road using an Internet browser. If I was using POP the first client to "check" the mail downloads the messages so I can't read them until I get to that client.
    Using POP, just set only one of your "locations" to delete the downloaded messages (like I set mine), and that's IMAP?
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinbrewer
    Can you clairify this a bit. What do you mean by multiple locations? And, why would you want to access the same email folders/users more than once?
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Tx Dot answered the question well - the only thing I would add is that you can set up any imap capable email client to access your imap email account. This essentially provides a user with the experience of working in Exchange without having to spend all the $. No matter the source through which you login to your IMAP email account (home, parents, work, treo) any change you make on the account (delete mail, file to folders, respond to emails, send mail) all populates on the IMAP server. Thus, changes are all reflected at the source level. This is one of the primary advantage of IMAP over POP - instead of filing mail in local folders on a home computer, you can file your mail in folders on the IMAP server, which are accessible from any computer.

With regard to push email capability you just need to make sure that your IMAP email provider supports the IDLE command. Thunderbird and Outlook will automatically receive emails that are PUSH'd from the IMAP server to any open mail client.

Good luck.