1.    #1  
    All,
    I'm talking about the weel known problem affecting GSM 650 (we discuss about it a lot in specific threads like this http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=95122 and in many others).

After my escalation to Palm Italy through Vodafone Italy (that sold to me the Treo) I received a new one. Palm Italy ensure to me that this tested unit will be surely FREEZE FREE.
    Shouldn't they test all the units they sell??

BTW I'll keep you updated about my 5th Treo. Please do not expect a reliable test before months as currently my FREEZING EVENT occurred on all of my 4 previous Treo, but rarely. For instance the forth had only 2 events in two months.

I'm on 1.13-ROW + 1.28.
    HW: A
    SN: PTGG04
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Gee, how many threads have you created on this subject now?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Gee, how many threads have you created on this subject now?
    Two. Are them too much??
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    I created two too :-)

however they don't want to advanced exchange my Treo, I'm really angry for this.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by matro
    I created two too :-)

however they don't want to advanced exchange my Treo, I'm really angry for this.
    How many Treos did you receive?
    For me this is the 5th (4 replacement) two of that had been made in advanced exchange. I'm so sorry for you.

The last time I escalete the problem via the shop where I bought it (a Vodafone shop)..........at the end the gave to me for free a cradle and Treo BT Headset (allmost 160 Euro!!)........not bad even if the only thing I'm intersted is a WORKING PHONE.

Did you experienced others freezing events?
    Ciao.
    Vittore
  6.    #6  
    Unfortunately my hope finished after only 2 days!!

I got a new freeze at home, whith the Treo sitting on my table and with 5 BARS of signal strengh. This is the first times it happens wich good signal and without tower to tower possible explanation. Everything as we all know very well........I tested it and I lost at least a call and two SMS.

I'M SO SAD and F......G MAD at Palm Italy/Europe that ensured me to an extensive test of my 5th unit.

Now I can only wait for 1.51 fw that I hope will reproduce the good features reported by people testing leaked 1.43.

After the first freeze with 1.51 I'll go and ask a full payback from Palm

I don't want to use that money for a windows mobile smartphone.
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    I'm really sorry for you, Vittore.

I just sent a fax to our palmOne Italian support about my defective unit (freeze issue, bluetooth not working anymore, HALRadioAcDc.c, Host Wake not asserted in time issue): I tried with the request for a repair web pages, but I have received a couple of replies and nothing else. this is strange, as I was supported before.

I'm really disappointed, we are palmOne supporters here, we are betatesting what is expected to work, and our devices don't. even more, the freezing issue is harmful, because of the loss of messages and notifications.

I love the Treo, but I need a working smartphone, we're not talking about a game here.
    FIVE bad units? No. User error or third-party software bug, no other explanation.
    FIVE bad units? No. User error or third-party software bug, no other explanation.
    the freezing issue is a fact, search around before to give a sentence.
    five is not uncommon. give these guys a break. i've experienced the freezup with NOTHING installed/no hotsynch.
    i'm using an early firmware on my latest phone, so luckily no issues.
    My point is he is returning Treo's that likely have nothing wrong, or it's user error, or third-party software issue.

If it's a firmware or radio issue, then returning five or fifteen Treo's isn't going to fix the problem.

I *know* the slowdown occurs sometimes, but it is NOT a hardware problem, you're just wasting your time and Palm's money swapping it out five times.

What third party software are you two running that you have this happen all the time? I have it happen perhaps once a week, and it's USUALLY when I have an alarm or two that I haven't acknowledged. A *few* times I've had it do it for seemingly no reason, but I either just cycle the radio or soft reset and everything is fine, no big deal.
  12. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My point is he is returning Treo's that likely have nothing wrong, or it's user error, or third-party software issue.

If it's a firmware or radio issue, then returning five or fifteen Treo's isn't going to fix the problem.

I *know* the slowdown occurs sometimes, but it is NOT a hardware problem, you're just wasting your time and Palm's money swapping it out five times.

What third party software are you two running that you have this happen all the time? I have it happen perhaps once a week, and it's USUALLY when I have an alarm or two that I haven't acknowledged. A *few* times I've had it do it for seemingly no reason, but I either just cycle the radio or soft reset and everything is fine, no big deal.
    Your reply assumes a lot. It is a big deal for most people to have your phone freeze and still have a blinking green light. You have missed calls and don't even realize it. If you use it for anything critical then you're pretty much screwed. If you look at the different polls on the freezing issue, you'll see that almost everyone has it. My contention is that the other 20% just doesn't know they have it and are used to resetting their Treo. If you read the guy's first post, you would have seen that Palm promised him a freeze free unit ..
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    Unfortunately my hope finished after only 2 days!!

I got a new freeze at home, whith the Treo sitting on my table and with 5 BARS of signal strengh. This is the first times it happens wich good signal and without tower to tower possible explanation. Everything as we all know very well........I tested it and I lost at least a call and two SMS.
    In our forum (www.newsmobile.it) someone has reported that many problems was solved simply setting the phone to search over the 900/1800 Mhz bands instead of let it to search in auto (all the 4 bands)

I don't want to use that money for a windows mobile smartphone.
    Simply wait a moment and buy a P990i, honestly the treo is only a nice gadget with a good form factor. I own one of it since the last week and I had mor reset in a week of treo usage than in 3 years of (heavy) use of my p800.

Palm made good handelds but the phone part is ridicolous if compared with the devices outo from Sonyericsson or Nokia
  14.    #14  

First of all I totally agree to what t4l quoted yesterday.

khaytsus,
    before stating something (i.e. "Freeze on 5 unit? 3rd party sw issue) read all what hae been written by all of us.

I'm not a Palm engeneer, but if the support propose to me a new unit (refurbished??) to solve my problem..........I don't think that I'm the cause of Palm revenue. They are loosing money because they are supplying a poor quality product, not well tested.

My 5 650s also suffered of 3 hotsync connector not working, the "h" hardbutton not working properly and a strange behaviour of the camera (on Monday I'm going to request my 6th).
    Ciao.
    Vittore
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by matro
    I'm really sorry for you, Vittore.

I just sent a fax to our palmOne Italian support about my defective unit (freeze issue, bluetooth not working anymore, HALRadioAcDc.c, Host Wake not asserted in time issue): I tried with the request for a repair web pages, but I have received a couple of replies and nothing else. this is strange, as I was supported before.

I'm really disappointed, we are palmOne supporters here, we are betatesting what is expected to work, and our devices don't. even more, the freezing issue is harmful, because of the loss of messages and notifications.

I love the Treo, but I need a working smartphone, we're not talking about a game here.
    Matro,
    try to upgrade to FW 1.43 (fw only and not the sw parts of the update). A lot of people report to be FREEZE FREE after it. I did it on Friday.......so far so good.
    I'll keep you updated.
    Ciao.
    Vittore

Suppose you are one of those persons that uses this phone for work, and a missed call is unacceptable? I'd hardly say that cycling the radio or soft resetting is an acceptable solution for everyone especially IF you don't even realize your phone is frozen for half the day.
    You could easily miss all calls during that time.