Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading some very positive comments on this board, I decided to give the Navigator 5 a second chance (I had returned my first purchase after 2 days of complete frustration while trying to get it to work with my Treo 650 and Mac). So, I got another one.

The good news, with the help of some of the posts here (from Seth Elgart), I've got it working and have learned to load maps directly to the card (which was hard to do on the Mac before I learned a new technique); direct loading is a lot quicker than using the hot sync which was so slow it was not worth doing.

Now the questions:

1. Contacts: I've heard that I should be able to use contacts to pick a destination from my address book. This does not work at all. I enter the Contacts program and get an anemic list of some -- but not all -- of my contacts. Asking to navigate to them does nothing.

I'm wondering if this is because I'm using the Mac address book and not Outlook. I figure once it is in the Treo it should not matter.

Anyone figure this out?

There is absolutely nothing in the manual about contacts, and I can't find any info online. I've left a message for Tom Tom support but they've not called back during the 2 days I've been waiting. (On my first try to get the Navigator 5 working, their support people were great -- but couldn't get my program to run, so I sent it back.)

2. How would you go about entering a Parking lot location? I get lost all the time. Directionally challenged.

3. Walking: This may sound dumb, but in a car, the GPS sending unit is mounted and does not move accept with the car. Will it matter if I put the unit in a pants pocket and walk with it? My legs move in ways a car doesn't.

That's enough questions for now. I'd really like help. Thanks.
    sjh
    With respect to 2 and 3...

2. -- GPS can only give directions based on mapped steet locations, etc. While the location of a parking lot may be mapped, I'm pretty sure the internal workings of a parking lot are not mapped.

3. -- Bluetooth gps should have no problem in your pocket.
    I have found that using the Contacts Navigator works great if the Company Name field has a name in it. When traveling I use Express to look up an address of a location. I add that to my contacts. It always adds the name to the Company Name field. I then go to Contacts Navigator and search the company name and then choose Navigate To from the menu and it has worked every time.

If I try to search for a person in my contacts, I do have problems. So, before I need to navigate to the person's house. I started putting their name in the company name field.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks.

Tips like that prove the value of the forum.

I'm not really at the point where the tip will work. Tom Tom said I might be having a problem because I have things other than Navigator on my SD card. I've got some MP3's and some photo's.

They recommend the use of a dedicated card.

Are all of you who are using TT5 sucessfully using a dedicated card?

sjh

PS. I would never have given TT5 a second chance were it not for the informative posts on this forum. Thanks, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    Are all of you who are using TT5 sucessfully using a dedicated card?

sjh

PS. I would never have given TT5 a second chance were it not for the informative posts on this forum. Thanks, again.
    i've always had other things -- many other things -- on the expansion card, using every version of TomTom.

i would suggest copying everything from the card onto a PC, then reformatting the card. then install TomTom and get it running, and then add back all the rest. that's essentially what i did (and what TT recommended doing) when I upgraded to the latest version.

i have never really found Contacts to be that useful -- only about 1 in 3 of mine actually seem to work. i suspect that if you feel it's absolutely essential for your purposes, you're going to be disappointed. as some have already said -- TT's installation is problematic, but once you get it going you're likely to find it was well worth the trouble.
    I have apps, movies, mp3's, photos, documents, and TT5 maps on my 2GB card.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield
    i've always had other things -- many other things -- on the expansion card, using every version of TomTom.

i would suggest copying everything from the card onto a PC, then reformatting the card. then install TomTom and get it running, and then add back all the rest. that's essentially what i did (and what TT recommended doing) when I upgraded to the latest version.

i have never really found Contacts to be that useful -- only about 1 in 3 of mine actually seem to work. i suspect that if you feel it's absolutely essential for your purposes, you're going to be disappointed. as some have already said -- TT's installation is problematic, but once you get it going you're likely to find it was well worth the trouble.
    Actually, after doing a lot of work, I have the main application working. And, I like it a lot. I have dedicated navigation systems in my cars. I got the TT5 for travel -- and for walking. I can get lost in my own home. I have a pattern of parking my car in a downtown structure, walking off to a meeting, and then not being able to find the structure and the car, afterward.

The big impediment for me was making the installation and map movement Mac friendly. Posts in the forums made this possible.

I'm going to buy a 2gb card the next time I see one on sale. See if the extra room makes any performance difference. I'll also use my current 1gb card for TT5 only, to see if that makes a difference.

But, In the end, I'll probably just abandon "contacts". I've read many posts that it just doesn't work -- out of the box. Maybe they'll get it straight in the next version of the software.

Thanks to all of you who have been so helpful.

I'm going to post a new thread with a TT5 question -- and hope someone knows the answer.

sjh
    Actually, after doing a lot of work, I have the main application working. And, I like it a lot. I have dedicated navigation systems in my cars. I got the TT5 for travel -- and for walking. I can get lost in my own home. I have a pattern of parking my car in a downtown structure, walking off to a meeting, and then not being able to find the structure and the car, afterward.
    same here, i can get lost a block from my apartment. an old new trick: use the Treo's camera to take a snap of where you're parked.
  9.    #9  
    I always use the camera to record the space.

But, I have trouble finding the lot.

TT5 ismy last hope.
    I always use the camera to record the space.

But, I have trouble finding the lot.

TT5 ismy last hope.
    To save position:

'Add favourite'
    'GPS position'
    Save lot position

To return to the lot:

'Navigate to...'
    'Favourite'
    Choose the favourite you saved

I can't actually check if this works as my GPS is at home but I think it's intended to meet your need.

Alternatively, turn around every ten yards as you leave the lot and take a picture. Navigate back by running the slideshow in reverse
    But, In the end, I'll probably just abandon "contacts". I've read many posts that it just doesn't work -- out of the box. Maybe they'll get it straight in the next version of the software. sjh
    Let us know if you get any useful help from Tomtom. I find that most of my contacts work ok for navigation and they are generally entered as home rather than company addresses. Usually it brings up the address correctly but if there are additional numbers (such as an apartment number) with the street it has problems. Seems to be related to separating the house number from the street for Tomtom use. Also, if you have more than one address for a contact, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the "other" address. What works best for me is to enter Contact Navigation, select a contact name then use "Show address on map". This brings up a screen showing the address that you can edit before clicking OK to go to Tomtom. Once, in Tomtom, it shows the address on a map (if you have the appropriate map selected) and you can use the cursor button to navigate to that map location. Anyway, I do find it useful for people I don't visit often enough to make them favorites...
    How big are the maps? If i want to load something like the NE US, VA, DC, and MD what am i looking at in terms of free space needed on my card?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I have found that using the Contacts Navigator works great
    JohnH, Contacts Navigation turned up both internally (61k) AND on my SD card (47k). It runs ok from the internal memory. When I try to run it from the card I get a "Replace" warning (i.e., "A copy of this application already exists on the phone. Do you want to replace it? Yes/No"

Where do you run it from? OK to delete from one or the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    JohnH, Contacts Navigation turned up both internally (61k) AND on my SD card (47k). It runs ok from the internal memory. When I try to run it from the card I get a "Replace" warning (i.e., "A copy of this application already exists on the phone. Do you want to replace it? Yes/No"

Where do you run it from? OK to delete from one or the other?
    I run it from internal.
    The version on the card and in memory are identical. I think the difference in size is due to the memory block sizes or something. If you delete the one on the card and copy the memory version (61k) to the card it ends up being 47k.

Also, I usually delete the memory version and just use the version on my memory card. Seems to work fine.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Let us know if you get any useful help from Tomtom. I find that most of my contacts work ok for navigation and they are generally entered as home rather than company addresses. Usually it brings up the address correctly but if there are additional numbers (such as an apartment number) with the street it has problems. Seems to be related to separating the house number from the street for Tomtom use. Also, if you have more than one address for a contact, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the "other" address. What works best for me is to enter Contact Navigation, select a contact name then use "Show address on map". This brings up a screen showing the address that you can edit before clicking OK to go to Tomtom. Once, in Tomtom, it shows the address on a map (if you have the appropriate map selected) and you can use the cursor button to navigate to that map location. Anyway, I do find it useful for people I don't visit often enough to make them favorites...
    I would have to agree totally with jrfaris. I had to clean up my address book (eliminating suite numbers and apt. numbers). I have had no problems since them routing to the address.
    Provided that the data in my contacts list is in an acceptable format for ttn, then CN works fine for me.

I run ttn on a dedicated 256mb card.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    I have the same question about how use TomTom to "naviagate to" a contact stored in the Treo's address book. It may be obvious and I'm just missing it, but where exactly is the function that allows you to do this?

Thanks!
  19. paw
    My main concern is the receiver in the pocket question. Does anyone have a problem aquiring a signal and keeping the signal while the BT receiver is your pocket?
    Quote Originally Posted by qualtalk
    I have the same question about how use TomTom to "naviagate to" a contact stored in the Treo's address book. It may be obvious and I'm just missing it, but where exactly is the function that allows you to do this?
    Thanks!
    The contacts navigator is a separate program (CN.prc) that you have to enter first. It extracts contacts from the Treo contact list. Once you find a contact in CN, you can either select "navigate to" or "show on map" from the menu. CN then starts TTNav5 to complete the action. You can't access CN from within Nav5.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast