1.    #1  
    How does a ESN number become bad? or Flagged as fraudulant? I purchased a treo 650 from a powerseller on Ebay, tried to activate it and Sprint said it was flagged as fradulant. Of course i consulted with the seller immediatly and he overnighted another phone that i had no problems activating however it was defective in that it wouldn't charge the battery or hotsync. I took it to the local sprint store and they just gave me a new one to replace it. But back on the subject.... if a ESN is flagged as fraud it appearantly can NEVER be activated by a carrier. It becomes a expensive gameboy for my kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinbrewer
    if a ESN is flagged as fraud it appearantly can NEVER be activated by a carrier. It becomes a expensive gameboy for my kids.
    Yup, once its reported stolen its basically worthless.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Yup, once its reported stolen its basically worthless.

What a waste of hardware. There should be some way that you could make use of the device. Is it possible to change "clone" 2 units to have the same ESN ?
    Sometimes if the original owner approves the esn can be reversed, you would need to get in touch with that person and i dont think the carriers are to willing to give that info out. Plus if his treo was stolen i dont think he would like you to activate it.
    Gotta love eBay powersellers that sell stolen equipment. Glad you got it resolved, but I'm confused.. Is the seller not requesting the phone with the bad ESN back?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Gotta love eBay powersellers that sell stolen equipment. Glad you got it resolved, but I'm confused.. Is the seller not requesting the phone with the bad ESN back?

Nope he said it was worthless to him and to do whatever I wanted with it. I can't activate it but it makes a good gameboy for my kiddo lol
    Sweet... Yeah, maybe take the antenna off of it to make it lower profile.. Pretty nice deal.

Might even be able to find someone that can reprogram it, but I don't think that's too common these days.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Gotta love eBay powersellers that sell stolen equipment.
    Can't vouch for that seller, but I bought a new Sprint 650 Palm when they were originally released. Sold it on ebay a couple months later (it was NEVER used or activated). The buyer tried to activate it and was told by Sprint that the ESN was locked and the phone was probably stolen.

After a lot of hours, what Sprint told me was that the ESN was assigned to another account, but never activated. Then, one of the ESNs on that account was flagged for fraud, so ALL ESNs on the account are flagged.

Sprint said someone apparently mis-keyed an ESN and it happened to be mine.

The point is - it can be corrected and it is not always an indication that the phone was stolen.