1.    #1  
    Let this be a warning / horror story.

Background
    I was having some problems with some of the buttons on my 650 and took it apart to clean the contacts. I didn't see the antenna screw b/c it was covered by the security tag. I thought it was a stuck tab and pulled hard enough to crack some plastic. I've done quite a bit of electronic repair (really enough to know better): In my estimation, I was rather delicate while taking the think apart, however the case did get stressed enough to get a hairline crack on one of the narrow pieces of plastic, and I would say the motherboard got a bit of stressing as well.

Then, I was trying to remove one of the ribbon cables, and in doing so striipped off the tiny connectors on each side. I gave up and left it connected. I was able to remove the two screws holding the keyboard in place and clean the contacts. When I reassembled the phone, it was completly dead. No LED when charging, no signs of life. Nada.

I've pulled it apart several times since then and pushed all the connectors I could see to make sure everything was connected. I was able to get the cracked connecter off and clean the contacts. Even with the connector damage there is plenty of friction with the male/female join holding the ribbon to the board. (What broke off were the tabs to either side) I haven't fully disassembled the unit b/c I don't want to mess with the smaller ribbon connector. They really are difficult to remove.

Physical inspection of the boards shows no obvious cracks or stress marks.

Questions: Can anybody recommend any critical contact areas or connectors to check that would cause the dead phone? Perhaps Cingular phones need a magic reset ritual to come back to life? Is it common to pull the 650 apart and then have it be dead b/c of an alignment problem or not enough torque on the screws to hold it together? Do I need to fully dissemble all the pieces and rebuild to make sure everything is seated correctly? Is there a special trick to opening these ribbon connecters without breaking the tiny tabs on either? I've surely voided my warantee, and want to check all easy things before sending to Palm for repair.

Any yes, I've fully kicked my own **** for being in way too much of a hurry with delicated electronics. That sticking phone button was really beginning to p**s me off, and I was determined to fix it before going out for Halloween. But then it was my phone that said "Boo"!

Any and all help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by pyves; 11/02/2005 at 01:51 AM.
    Damm, you have more guts than I would ever have. Good Luck!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Make sure you press the ribbon cable in all the way... What happened to you sounds like what happened to me, well except for not removing the antenna screw.

The keyboard ribbon gets inserted almost all the way to the step (area that is wider) the screen ribbon cable gets inserted until the different colored (darker) area is totally inserted in the connector. The second one is the one that gave me problem. you need to push hard with a small blunt object. Is should almos snap in. I hope this helps.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you for this response! I will try that. Question: How does the ribbon connector work? Is it a socket piece of plastic, a plastic insert, and the ribbon cable seperately, or should the ribbon cable be attached to the Male plastic thingie? Also, how did you get the connector out? It seems like there are two latches on either side, but when I nudged these with a blade they broke instead of flexed.

Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Make sure you press the ribbon cable in all the way... What happened to you sounds like what happened to me, well except for not removing the antenna screw.

The keyboard ribbon gets inserted almost all the way to the step (area that is wider) the screen ribbon cable gets inserted until the different colored (darker) area is totally inserted in the connector. The second one is the one that gave me problem. you need to push hard with a small blunt object. Is should almos snap in. I hope this helps.
    The ribbon cable is just the cable with contants. The plastic piece should stay on the connector, and needs to flip up. You probably did not break it, you just snapped it off. You should be able to snap it back in. This is definitly at least one of your problems. This connector is a problem on my CDMA Phone, but not my GSM phone... seems the GSM phone has a newer, less problematic design.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Only if you would've searched on the forum before openning it up,...
    I followed the instruction on this thread and it only took me half an hour to fix the problem with my key board, with no problem. You might find some useful tips. Worse case senario, buy a Treo from ebay with broken screen and use the parts to repair yours. Good luck.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...emoving+camera
  7.    #7  
    nonobeez, you rock, problem is solved! details are coming, but i'm heading out tonight with a live treo in my pocket!
    Great!!! you brought yours back to life and I killed mine....twice!!