Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    The developers at TapTarget.com are one step closer to giving the current Palm OS the most wanted feature of all MULTITASKING. According to the TapTarget forums, the developer claims very soon, he will have completed iSpin 2.0 a Windows style launcher for the current Palm OS that will allow multitasking apps on devices like the Treo 650

In his words "suspend one application and switch to another one". iSpin Launcher shows a screenshot of the app rotated in 3D space by 45 degrees on OZ axis and 5 degrees on OY axis.

While one app is running, another is just suspended (but not finished). When you switch back,the application continues its work where it was interrupted."

http://forums.kteck-webs.com/taptarget/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by migs; 05/29/2007 at 12:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Cool, but suspending isn't multi-tasking but I'm sure it will still be a useful feature for some...

Thanks for the info. I'll keep monitoring...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Agreed, it's not multitasking, but if it can somehow allow me to switch back and forth between blazer and something else without having blazer reset everytime, it may be well worth it. Blazer's lack of graceful task switching (and redraw when navigating back, which will not obviously be fixed by this app) has forever been one of my real complaints about the treo.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    Agreed, it's not multitasking, but if it can somehow allow me to switch back and forth between blazer and something else without having blazer reset everytime, it may be well worth it. Blazer's lack of graceful task switching (and redraw when navigating back, which will not obviously be fixed by this app) has forever been one of my real complaints about the treo.
    Good point!
    This quirk also annoys me...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    You won't be able to switch any programs which require network activity, such as pssh, some chat programs, etc.. But this could be neat for some things so you don't have to go back where you were after switching back and forth.
    ugh, please make it skinable. No way im walking around with that XP'esque interface on my Treo
    Last edited by AnteL0pe; 11/02/2005 at 12:12 PM.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    a Windows style launcher for the current Palm OS

fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    ugh, please make it skinable. No way im walking around with that XP'esque interface on my Treo
    Check this link. http://www.installigent.com/palm/
    It has several skins/themes for iSpin.
    You should also check the developers forum http://www.taptarget.com/forum/
    Last edited by zvandiver; 11/02/2005 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Add second link
    Sound interesting but can the treo even handle it. Just regular switching between PTunes and another app slows down the device, sometimes, you might even here a scratchy noise.
    Geez, just get a laptop, multi-tasking, task-switching, how come my Treo doen't make waffles in the morning ?
    No to be too critical, but I'll beleive it when I see it, especially on a Treo650...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    You're right seeing is believing, but I tell you this much iSpin going to give Zlauncher some major competition.
    Does iSpin move programs and databases to VFS and have a great file manager built-in?

Sorry, but I doubt ZLauncher will lose many people to this.. A Start menu is a UI nightmare on a PC with a mouse, MUCH worse on a PDA. Yes some people think it's a good thing and will like that sort of thing on the Treo, but unless this iSpin 'background' feature is done damn well, stable, works fast, etc. I doubt it'll wind up being that big a deal.
    Butler and other applications allow you to switch between programs.

I agree the Blazer should refresh from memory when restarted, but most applications remember their state when they start up and exit, so I don't see a need for real multi tasking.

Also one down side of real multi tasking is memory usage. I'm not sure how iSpin is going to get around that.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Hrm. Looks like a launcher that just keeps track of what programs you've launched until you tell it to 'close' it.

Not particularly earth shattering or innovative.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    Butler and other applications allow you to switch between programs.

I agree the Blazer should refresh from memory when restarted, but most applications remember their state when they start up and exit, so I don't see a need for real multi tasking.

Also one down side of real multi tasking is memory usage. I'm not sure how iSpin is going to get around that.
    Let's be clear: Butler just lets you quickly QUIT AN APPLICATION and START ANOTHER ONE, and then if you like QUIT the second app and let you RESTART the first application again. In other words, it saves you from having to go to your launcher, but that's about it.

True "switching" would somehow "suspend" one app while you go to another, and then suspend the second app while you switched back to the first. This is what iSpin claims it will be able to do. We shall see...

On another note, Blazer's stupid actions when you leave and return to it (reloading everything from scratch) is pretty much the ONLY reason why I now have Desk Accessories (DAs) for checking dates, calculating numbers, and quickly adding notes or scheduled items to the databases. With DA launcher, I can perform these things while never leaving Blazer, so it never reloads anything.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Here's some more news on the upcoming iSpin Version 2.0 expected in about 2 weeks.
    Quoting the develper:

"Version is completely redone version. It is even hard to say that it is launcher, because instead of standard application launching provided by PalmOS, when the launcher is terminated once new application is launched, iSpin 2 never exits. For PalmOS only iSpin is running - all other applications are run in context of iSpin. And iSpin allows to run several applications at once. This is a major difference.

We completely redone iSpin desktop. It is NOT like Windows. Why? Because Windows desktop is considered to be used on desktop PC and requires many mouse/stylus operations. Version 2 uses mobile phone approach when common tasks are executed by pressing hard buttons (5-way navigation). And most of the information is available without any additional manipulations: battery status, memory available, date & time, other device status stuff.

We want to make UI attractive: it is achieved by using 3D effects and animation. And we expect theme creators will quickly create additional amazing themes for new version."
    I hope it's not the horrible interface that iSpin currently has.. 5-way nav does pretty much nothing, the labeling of the prefs is pretty much meaningless, etc..

I guess we'll see.. iSpins current usability is bunk, I don't see how ANYONE uses it. If they make it better then it might be popular.

I just wonder how a Launcher works now. Is it the godawful "desktop" thing they use currently, or will you be able to use any launcher from within? Again, I guess we'll see.

I personally don't expect much. If it multitasks, but you can't navigate in it and it takes 30s to scroll through to find a program, it won't be popular.
    Hopefully when iSPIN (Why does everything have to be an 'i' something) rolls out this new XPesque "multi-tasking" application I'll be booted into Linux on my Treo 650 listening to streaming Sirius via mplayer, surfing with Opera 8.5x, and be connected to my file-server via SSHFS dumping pictures from SD, chatting away on aMSN or GAIM with a few buddies.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Since iSpin 2.0 is not out yet the only details we have so far is that iSpin will allow multitasking Palm apps within iSpin itself.

The way I understand it, iSpin will be like a Palm os emulator
    within Palm os. It will sort of "trick" a Palm OS device into thinking its only running iSpin but according to the developer, you will be able to run several apps at once.

So when you launch a app in iSpin, then you decide you
    want to launch another one, the previous will stay in the same state you
    left it in. ie browsers, games, or apps that normally restart after you exit them will now stay in the same screen or previous state.
    This will be a Palm first!
    Last edited by migs; 01/04/2006 at 05:19 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast