Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    After few delays, a beta of 2.0 is soon to be released. It will litterally wrap itself around the Palm OS and its API, and allows other software to run on top of it. All I could say it will change Palm OS forever, like what Windows did to DOS............
    http://www.taptarget.com/wiki/doku.php?id=start
    Last edited by migs; 02/09/2006 at 08:45 PM.
    Thanks for the update migs, keep us posted with iSpin 2.0 rolls I'd like to try it. I found a Gnome theme so I don't look like a button-monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    So when you launch a app in iSpin, then you decide you
    want to launch another one, the previous will stay in the same state you
    left it in. ie browsers, games, or apps that normally restart after you exit them will now stay in the same screen or previous state.
    This will be a Palm first!
    That's not what I would call multitasking. Multitasking is running multiple programs at once. So, for example, you might have several windows open at the same time (like 4 160x160 windows) each running a different program concurrently. So in one window, you might be running an ftp session, in another, Blazer, in a third editing a Docs to Go spreadsheet, and in the fourth updating your calendar. And being able to cut-and-paste between the windows.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Is there enough ram for this to be able to happen? or enough cache on our devices for multi-tasking to occur...

Interesting...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    I'm curious too, granted it's not multi-tasking but more of a task-swapping method but if it functions as expected then that would aleast alleviate the issue with the Blazer "loosing" the last page you were at if you take a phone-call, etc.

I could do without the "Vista" and XP feel.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Here's a short overview someone calling it the new Palm OS
    http://blog.kteck-webs.com/index.php...ing-but-close/
    Last edited by migs; 07/03/2006 at 03:09 PM.
    I think I have enough 'multi-tasking' with Chatter and pTunes. What I'd like is for one crash to not take the whole system down. Away with soft resets!!!
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    migs, I've been following the forum posts and research and there appears to be a huge amount of hype about this pending release but York/Yuri? has been talking about it since Nov of 2005 with release dates being pushed back further and further. There was to be a release in Dec which was pushed to Jan which now looks like Feb. York/Yuri (can't remember the exact name) has not yet published a release date and only mentions "soon" while others wildly speculate about price, release date, etc. The release date is as obscure as it was in Dec 2005.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I would just be curious to try it. I have used the iSpin Lite version and its alright, its nothing special, just a different face on PalmOS. Lets face it PalmOS does the job it just isn't pretty, and thats all people want, thats my sad geeky opinion! I am using Facer 3 now and it isn't to bad, same PalmOS functions with a pretty face, I would just like to see if they get the task bar app part of it work, were you could select different apps from there. Just would be something new and fun to play with, so when are we gonna see it?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    iSpin has been updated to 1.8 that much closer to 2.0!

Changes in version 1.8 (13 Feb 2006):
    * show create/modify file dates in Properties
    * run Pocket Tunes to play .MP3 files
    * optionally run Pocket Tunes console (see Preferences dialog)
    * FIX 0000066: Crash on switching between apps within resident toolbar
    migs, thanks for the update. Based on my understanding 1.8 and 2.0 are separate forks and the release of 1.8 is not necessarily indicitive of 2.0 being soon to follow.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    From what I understand, there will be two seperate applications; iSpin and something new called "Spin OS" notice how they dropped the "i"
    Spin OS's capabilities can be used with other 3rd party Launchers not just iSpin 1.8

Spin OS will boot up like a new operating system for Palm http://www.taptarget.com/wiki/media/...os-booting.gif

1. Cooperative multitasking - allows to run several Palm OS 68K applications concurrently (SpinCore cannot run ARM native applications. In the future it is supposed to implement preemptive multitasking)

2. Virtual file system - hides all the differencies among various file concepts introduced by Palm OS. It provides universal API to access files in handheld’s main memory, card, etc.

3. Graphics engine provides simple API to handle JPEG images and perform image 3D trasformations. The engine is implemented natively in ARM and provides high performance.

4. System registry is a single place where applications may store their settings and user preferences.

additionaly, software specifically designed to run under SpinCore. Desktop, Explorer, and a Web browser are to be included into SpinOS distribution package.
    Last edited by migs; 02/14/2006 at 10:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I am just starting to get curious as to what this beast is going to look like and how it is going to run. I have been using Facer3 and I like it, all it is , is a pretty face as I have said before but SpinOS is looking to change the way we all use our 650's. If this works even just a little, lets you put stuff in a task bar and such, and even if it does some low end multitasking, such as not losing your page in a browser while you got to SMS or let you run note pad and your email client at once. I am on pins and needles waiting to play, thats for darn sure!
    Seems like I've been reading this thread for quite a while now. When will the "will be possible" turn into "is now possible"???
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I am just as anxious to see this app and try it, and maybe replace my current launcher. I would have to say though I can understand the time this must take, and if it works as advertised, could change the way a lot of us use our Treos, this is a big deal. I would love to see a beta or something but I am content enough with what I have to wait this the impressive piece of software comes out, just so long as it delievers I will be impressed. Even if it doesn't, its nice to see an effort made!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I think I have enough 'multi-tasking' with Chatter and pTunes. What I'd like is for one crash to not take the whole system down. Away with soft resets!!!
    I agree, between Chatter, Verichat, Xiino, & pTunes they have solved all my multi-tasking headaches
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    My dream is to have multiple web browsers running at the same time...... and I don't see why that is impossible. Just like the post above, running pTunes and a web browser is possible now; and both applications use the internet, so as soon as iSpin 2.0 is complete I have a feeling that multiple web browsers running together will work. It will be the closest thing we will have to tabbed browsing. Imagine the possibilities...
    Its too bad it keeps on getting delyed. I think the developer needs more encouragement and support at his forum so he can work faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    My dream is to have multiple web browsers running at the same time...... and I don't see why that is impossible. Just like the post above, running pTunes and a web browser is possible now; and both applications use the internet, so as soon as iSpin 2.0 is complete I have a feeling that multiple web browsers running together will work. It will be the closest thing we will have to tabbed browsing. Imagine the possibilities...
    Its too bad it keeps on getting delyed. I think the developer needs more encouragement and support at his forum so he can work faster!
    If multiple browsers will work, I'm SURE someone will come up with a way to, for example, rename some files and trick the OS into running Xiino and Xiino2 at the same time.

If this does away with soft resets, I'd have to at least consider going back to the 700p from my 6700.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I don't see why it isn't in the realm of possibilities that a browser could be written for Palm that gives you tabbed browsing. It wouldn't have as much to do with multi-tasking as it would have to do with the app being written that allows both windows in the browser to use data at the same time. Am I wrong in thinking this is a possibility?
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be as stable as a drunk in an earthquake?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast