Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I recalled trying out a program that searches all of the information in a db. It is relatively new. Any ideas?
    ...can prevent unnecessary threads.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    What are the shortcomings of the built-in "Find" function?
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I tend to put additional information in my contacts. Unfortunately, I may remember where somebody works, but forget his or her name. I want to search for the company or I for some bit of information I have about them. The native "Find" application does not seem to do this.
    FindHack $14.95: http://palmgear.com/?xyz=780
    FindWiz $9.95: http://snipurl.com/jeg0
    ..... review: http://www.kickstartnews.com/reviews...nd_wiz_21.html

I own both, but find myself using FindHack exclusively. At the time I purchased FindWiz, it's promise of card-based searching intrigued me. But, turns out, I now keep a lot of SD data in text files, which can be easily searched with iSilo.

As regards the limitations of the built-in Find mechanism, to appreciate the diff, you'd need to exploit the trial period of either of the above apps. Suffice to say, each is leap years beyond the native find facility. Creating multiple app combos to search, saving searches, and intelligent handling of the hitlist makes it well worth the registration bucks.
    Although there are $10 or $15 solutions, i gotta go with eKeith's comment. Is there a reason that the built in find won't work? Mine pulls up contacts by company name... Not that I think that the built in find is the best solution out there, and there are lots of reasons to pay for a better solution, but if ya just want to find a contact by company name, the build in find is all you need.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I must admit that I use the TAKEphOne for pulling up a contact my company. However, the software I am thinking of also allows for the searching of one's calendar. For some reason, I recall a name like "IntelliSearch"
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wink40
    I tend to put additional information in my contacts. Unfortunately, I may remember where somebody works, but forget his or her name. I want to search for the company or I for some bit of information I have about them. The native "Find" application does not seem to do this.
    Interesting... I did not know that.
    I will have to test it sometime.
    Thanks for the information.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    The default find on a Treo 600 seems to search all of the data in contacts. Finds things based on company name, address fields, even the custom fields.... Is that different with the 650? Or is it because you use something other than the default contact app?
    Findhack does not work on the Treo 680's Contact. Crashes it. No longer available on Palmgear either.
    Anyone can comment on Findwiz or Intelligentfind on the Treo 680?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Findhack does not work on the Treo 680's Contact. Crashes it. No longer available on Palmgear either.
    Anyone can comment on Findwiz or Intelligentfind on the Treo 680?
    Actually, FindHack works great on the 680's contacts, as long as you run FindHack from any program other than the native phone/contacts app. In other words, FindHack crashes my 680 if I run it from contacts, but if I run it from any other application, including TAKEphONE, it doesn't crash, but it still searches my contacts.
    Yes I notice that too - thanks for your input. Wonder what's making it crash this time?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRenegade View Post
    I tried FindWiz with my Verizon 700p and it didn't seem compatible--5-way nav didn't work, couldn't get out of the app to any other app by pressing any of the dedicated app buttons (home button or any other) and had to soft reset. I quickly uninstalled it and moved on.
    FindWiz here, though beware 700p users!
    http://www.exploreyourpalm.com/catal...f475f03daabc23

FindHack is a **dream** . LOVE it--enhanced functionality (save searches, scrollable results, limiting/choosing apps to search in, etc) to built-in FIND function. Just what I was looking for. Seems fully 700p compatible. Hopefully it will not compromise my little treo's system stability--one of my constant concerns, and the fact that it is piggy-backing on basic system functionality makes me just a shade nervous. I'm very protective and descriminative of 3rd party apps b/c of a history of system instability. I'll post again after prolonged use.

FindHack can be found here:
    http://perso.orange.fr/fpillet/findhack.html
    If you are looking for search software on steroids try intelligentfind for palm.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    If you are looking for search software on steroids try intelligentfind for palm.
    Thanks so much for that reminder. IntelligentFind had been my favorite, but they were soooo slow to upgrade back during my TH55 to Treo days. Just checked, downloaded, and nice surprise: old serial from late 2005 works! Now my 680 (unlocked/GSM) is in eHeaven!!
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    I love Genius by Hobbyist Software. It can search internal to palm or go on the internet with a treo phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulfrg View Post
    FindHack is a **dream** . LOVE it--enhanced functionality (save searches, scrollable results, limiting/choosing apps to search in, etc) to built-in FIND function. Just what I was looking for. Seems fully 700p compatible.... I'll post again after prolonged use.
    all's well so far. great app.