Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes, let us know!!
    Unlocked -1.51---117-CNG
    Handspring Deluxe w/phone->Treo 180->Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Okay - here I go exposing my ignorance, but isn't what you are all calling RAM actually shadowed in the NVFS; that's why it's persistent? If that is so, don't you have to upgrade both in order to exceed the 22.4 you're seeing?

I am not sure if you are talking with me. Anyway, the zipped system OS in ROM is unzipped into RAM(about 15mb). System reserved 5.4MB for system dynamic heap.The rest part of RAM is for db cache (NVFS cache). If the total RAM is 32MB, the dbcache is about 10MB. If the total RAM is 64MB, the dbcache will be 42MB. You do the math.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I upgraded my old Visor Prismn this way and had the coolest device on the block for a while. Please let us know how this turns out. We need more memory!

Another Hawk on a nearby tree- STARING at you.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    From what I am told by the PPCTECH technician is that the most that they can upgrade the TREO 650 is 64Mb if it works. He is downloading the Palm Hotsync software and will also load the MEMORYINFO.PRC to see the Total RAM. He will then get back to me. Thanks for everyones interest. God Bless.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    I upgraded my old Visor Prismn this way and had the coolest device on the block for a while. Please let us know how this turns out. We need more memory!

Another Hawk on a nearby tree- STARING at you.

Just wondering who did the upgrade for you and what did you upgrade it to 32Mb ?? 64mb ?? Thanks for any info. God Bless.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Ok everyone, I got an e-mail back from the technician and he was able to load the MEMORYINFO.PRC and this is what he got back:

Ok. After several tries, I got memoryinfo.prc loaded. The system does not see the RAM.

Here's the info:

Storage Heap:
    Total 23024KB
    Free 22288KB

NVFS RAM
    Total: 11199KB
    Free: 10724KB
    Largest Chunk Free: 10673KB

Dynamic Heap
    Total: 5440KB
    Free: 5006KB
    Largest Chunk Free: 4991KB

Anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions ??? God Bless.
    Last edited by jdeluna; 11/03/2005 at 08:56 PM.
    I wonder if it is possible to load the Rom from a Palm pda with more memory to see if it can then recognise the added memory. The next step would be to load the firmware for the phone and see if it still operates. Finally, install other Treo specific files that matter. If it still operates after all that then somebody could start making custom ROMs based on a combination of the pda and Treo ROMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeluna
    A few days ago I e-mailed PocketPCTechs and asked if they have looked at a Treo 650 to see if they can do a RAM upgrade.
    Hate to be negative but am I the only one that is NOT convinced that the PocketPCTechs can actually make this work? This is almost as incredulous as Windows techies improving on the Mac's OSX.

Nonetheless, good luck!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I would send the updated treo 650 to shadowmite to try to work on.

The hardware is done.

Now we need the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by menachh
    I would send the updated treo 650 to shadowmite to try to work on.

The hardware is done.

Now we need the software.
    Excellent suggestion. My guess is Shadowmite would love to get his hands on it.
    Hmm...

I posted a reply to his request for help at my forum:
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1029

The honest truth is it almost certainly needs a software hack of some sort. I highly doubt a zero out or hard reset it going to do it. I would imagine the fatfs driver is written to only address 32 megs. It's possible with the T5 fatfs driver instead it'll work. I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    From what you post in shadowsite, I can say you don't know the memory structure in treo 650. Treo 650 has 32MB ROM, in which 9MB is reserved for zipped system OS, the rest (22.4MB) is for NVFS (same as ROM in PPC) disk. Treo 650 also has 32MB RAM, in which 22MB has been reserved for unzipped system, the rest (10MB) is for program use (Dbcache) (Same as free program RAM in PPC). Since PocketPctech guys already replaced one memory chip, but still can run the treo 650, it means they didn't touch the 32MB ROM at all (otherwise there is no OS). What they replaced is RAM, which can only be observed by checking DBCACHE. The 22.4MB they saw is ROM, which of course has no change.

In that case, any files in RAM will be wiped out when you soft reset, right? Or at least when the battery is removed?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Hmm...

The honest truth is it almost certainly needs a software hack of some sort. I highly doubt a zero out or hard reset it going to do it. I would imagine the fatfs driver is written to only address 32 megs. It's possible with the T5 fatfs driver instead it'll work. I don't know.

Is there any way for us to get the T5 drivers ???
    Umm, someone with a T5 needs to extract it. Or actually, the tool I wrote could be modified to extract it from a T5 rom image if they have made updates to it. Several people here should be able to figure it out I think.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I know this is still in the "exploratory" phase, but in terms of market potential, I suspect there are at least a fair number of folks who would be happy to pay for an upgrade in memory. As I've noted in previous posts, if a new treo were to come out with exact same specs, but more RAM, I'd buy it immediately. I hope this potential will encourage those who might be able to put it together to keep exploring!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    I know this is still in the "exploratory" phase, but in terms of market potential, I suspect there are at least a fair number of folks who would be happy to pay for an upgrade in memory. As I've noted in previous posts, if a new treo were to come out with exact same specs, but more RAM, I'd buy it immediately. I hope this potential will encourage those who might be able to put it together to keep exploring!

Actually the tech did tell me that even before I sent my Treo 650 to them, that they have received many people asking to have their Treo 650 upgraded, so they know that there is a big demand for this if they can make it work. We also do know that the Treo 650 is the most popular Smartphone Also I would think that many people that have had the their Treo 650 for several months now think of it as an investment. If it can be upgraded with more memory at a reasonable cost then I am sure many would do that instead of purchasing the new Treo 700 at about $600+, plus all the software they have invested with Palm, etc. would make it more worthwhile to keep the Treo 650. Just my thoughts on this. God Bless
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Anyone here or know of anyone that has a Palm T5 so that we can get the T5 fatfs driver ??? God Bless.
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    In that case, any files in RAM will be wiped out when you soft reset, right? Or at least when the battery is removed?

Yes, you are right. You have nothing in the RAM (except unsaved temp data). All data are stored in NVFS disk.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Hmm...

I believe the memory segments of the Treo are hard-coded in the OS itself. What this phone needs is a hack like this to be written specifically for it:

http://fanoush.webpark.cz/palm/fhr.html

I would recommend talking to Frantisek Dufka about possibly strategies here...

Another location to ask for help would be palmnest:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/palmnest/
    Last edited by mmastrac; 11/08/2005 at 09:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Any more update on this?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast