Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Udated, no problems.
    Yea, like I want people/government to be able to track my phone more accurately. They will have to bundle that change with other improvements before I upgrade.
    My Windoze toolz http://www.securitysoftware.cc
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    That's excatly what I was thinking..... better for them to track me even if I have 911 tracking off. Then again I'm the type that's believes conspiracys like UFO cover-ups,hidden patents for 100mpg carberators, levys purposley blown up, you know stuff like that....
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    What's really outrageous about this is that THIS IS ALL Palm needs to do to update our Treo 650s to support Microsoft's new Direct Push functionality.

Clearly, they are still releasing Firmware updates, so why haven't they released one for Direct Push? After all, Microsoft says that Palm has had early access to the code needed; so they have had 5 months to refine the update.

Shame on Palm!
    I understood that DirectPush was to be part of Exchange 2003 SP2 but that MS deferred the release of the mobile package containing the DirectPush technology. Also Palm has never mentioned any intention to support this facet of Exchange ActiveSync; although it's not a bad idea.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ActiveSync works with the Treo
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    That's excatly what I was thinking..... better for them to track me even if I have 911 tracking off. Then again I'm the type that's believes conspiracys like UFO cover-ups,hidden patents for 100mpg carberators, levys purposley blown up, you know stuff like that....

There isn't really any way to turn 911 tracking off....

It actually was used out here in Colorado a few weeks ago to find some woman who was lost in the mountains. She called 911, then they used it to find her location.
    Will the 1.12a updater work with 1.12 ROMs that have been customized with Shadowmite's tools?
    I have seen it used many times actually. ON the 650... And without any update. So I would question what this update does.
    it is just a prc file, one of the gurus should be able to look at it and determine what it actually does.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Just applied the update. Worked the first time. No problems.

To those whose paranoia level has them NOT applying the update I'd say you might regret that if you ever DO need to call 911 from your cell (assuming this thing really does make it easier for them to locate you). Other than that, do you really think there is anyone anywhere who really gives a darn where you happen to be??

Left my tin hat at home today ...

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    I tried to install the E911 update on my Sprint 650 with a custom ROM (1.12 customized with Shadowmite tools). Treo reset, but Phone-Info still shows 1.12 (instead of 1.12a) as the version. So I guess the update will not work on custom ROMs. I hope it didn't randomly change some part of the firmware code...
    Quote Originally Posted by bakos
    I tried to install the E911 update on my Sprint 650 with a custom ROM (1.12 customized with Shadowmite tools). Treo reset, but Phone-Info still shows 1.12 (instead of 1.12a) as the version. So I guess the update will not work on custom ROMs. I hope it didn't randomly change some part of the firmware code...
    I installed the E911 update with my customized 1.12 ROM and it worked as advertised with the Phone Info showing 1.12a.

FYI,

Gordon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon_Dickens
    I installed the E911 update with my customized 1.12 ROM and it worked as advertised with the Phone Info showing 1.12a.
    I also had custom 1.12 and after the update it went to 1.12a.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by bakos
    try it again. I don't have a custom rom, and mine reset the first time also, the next attempt when fine.
    Thanks for telling me that customized ROMs can be updated. I went to the Palm website with blazer, downloaded directly into Applications, ran the updater and it worked just fine. For some reason the version of the updater I downloaded to my PC and synched to the Treo was crashing my Treo. The resetting is NOT part of the update process!
    Hi,
    I have a Verizonified Treo 650 and it currently has the Treo650-103-SPCS firmware on it. Since I converted it to the Verizon network is there a way to use Verizon's updates to update my phone, or will I have to use a custom Sprint Rom? I just tried updating the phone with Verizon's Latest Patch, but it didn't complete because the update was incompatible with the sprint phone. If I use Sprints Update will it change the Phones Radio Settings back to the default? Will I have to reconvert my phone to Verizon? Is using one of Shadowmites Custom Roms a solution? How would I use the on of the Custom Roms??

Thanks,
    Kevin
    anybody reporting any enhanced phone coverage or higher bar level from this update?
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    I understood that DirectPush was to be part of Exchange 2003 SP2 but that MS deferred the release of the mobile package containing the DirectPush technology. Also Palm has never mentioned any intention to support this facet of Exchange ActiveSync; although it's not a bad idea.
    Wrong, MSFP is only necessary on WM5 devices. Palm just has to do its own firmware update of VersaMail, and the Treo 650 is good to go...

It has been confirmed by MS here on the Technet Exchange blog: http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/ar...56.aspx#413083

But, you are right that Palm has not said whether or not they will give the millions of already sold EAS-licensed devices (Treo 650, LifeManager, etc.) the necessary update.

EVEN MORE INTERESTING, is that NOT ONE member of the media has ASKED Palm whether or not they will? (That goes for the operators of this site double!)

Absolutely NONE of these site operators actually care about the device users....I just wonder why...
    Interesting - looks like it might just patch firmware parameters rather than replacing files. This is the output of running strings on it:

E911 Firmware Updater
    The firmware on this Treo will be updated. You will not lose any of your personal data or preferences.
    Continue?
    Cancel
    Success!
    The firmware parameters have been updated.
    Update Error
    The firmware patch
    failed. Please re-run Firmware Patcher and if it continues to fail consult technical support.
    Invalid Device
    This updater requires a CDMA device.
    aS*~
    E911 Firmware Updater
    Please tap the button below to begin.
    Info
    Cancel
    Unattended Mode
    Running patch in unattended mode
    lppaPFDCcdma
    PFDC,@
    Resetting radio...
    Error setting to offline mode
    Error resetting radio
    Radio reset sent
    Could not reset radio
    Could not send DM command - 0x%lx
    Error with CcpDataRcvClose
    Timeout occured waiting for response
    TMSC radio
    IBM radio
    Failed to write out NV_GPS1_CDMA_RF_DELAY_I
    Failed to write out NV_GPS1_PCS_RF_DELAY_I
    nverCould not update product version token - 0x%lx
    Could not open Debug channel
    ruSICDSHlppa
    Could not relaunch DC app
    CDMAFirmwarePatch.c
    CDMA Firmware Patcher
    Should not get a message with the wrong tag
    TILUtils.c
    Did not ask for unsolicited messages!
    Not NV read response
    TILUtilsCDMAHtc.c
    Wrong item returned
    oxeaxEsH
    ddmaidmacdma
    rbil!LIT
    ddmaidmacdma
    rbilPCsH
    ddmaidmacdma
    rbilySmP
    ddmaidmacdma
    E911 Update
    This update will fix an issue with the Treo 650 software.
    E911 Firmware Updater
    This firmware update is designed to improve the ability of emergency response personnel to locate users who dial 911 from the Treo 650 smartphone.
    Sadly, the updater is pure ARM code and while I can disassemble via IDA, I can't make heads nor tails of it. 68k is so much easier to read! The version of IDA that I have is also missing some of the ARM instructions - might have to update it.

I would really like to know how this bit of code works.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast