1.    #1  
    I just sold my ipod 20G in anticipation of running out to get the new video ipod, but am now rethinking my decision. I'd like to give my Treo 650 a shot at the role of mp3/video portable player. I have a 1 GB card for my Treo, but otherwise no added software, and have never played music on it. I also (foolishly) upgraded to itunes 6.0. I'm sure there are other people out there who might find this thread helpful (I've search through a number of threads, and there seems to be no consensus on how best to start from scratch - granted there are many different programs, so opinions will differ).

1) So, if I want to be able to play music that I bought from itunes on my Treo 650, is there any program that can allow me to do this despite the fact that I have itunes 6.0?

2) What is the simplest way to get tv shows on my Treo? Granted, I don't even know what to use to download shows to my computer, so advice on which software/method for that would help too. Oh, and I have a series 2 Tivo if that is helpful in this process at all.

Basically, I'm looking for a Music/Video for Treo for Dummies guide. Anyone willing to give it a shot for those of us not technosavy enough to turn their Treo 650 into the perfect all-in-one cellmedia device on their own? Or should I just go get a video ipod? Many thanks.
    In the time it took you to type this thread you could've done a search. Tons of beginners threads in this forum.

for MP3's get pTunes Deluxe and for videos get TCPMP. Do a search either on this forum or 'google' it to find where to download.

Get a SD card reader, or buy Card Export (www.softick.com) for sending files directly to your Treo SD memory card.

Beyond that take the time to do a search for things like:
    1. converter programs for converting DVD's to video formats that can be viewed on your Treo.
    2. Audio converter programs (if you decide to translate from MP3's to some other format).
    etc. etc.

Other than that I agree that SOMEONE should take the time to consolidate, parse, compress ALL the vast information on this forum and create a simple dummy's guide to preparing media for use on the Treo.

It's actually pretty simple for audio (MP3's, OGG, etc. are common and immediately playable on either pTunes or TCPMP), but video can be idiosyncratic depending on the source format and conversion settings used to get the media to work on your Treo.

It's worth the time to educate yourself and don't worry about the technical issues. I still can't program my microwave properly <hehe>.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile
  3.    #3  
    Greg: Thanks, I'll check out some of those programs. Does ptunes deluxe allow you to convert itunes-purchased music into mp3s for your Treo if you have itunes 6.0?

I did do searches and read a whole slew of threads, and got so overwhelmed by both the opposing advice within each thread and between threads, and the vast amount of information on here. I was hoping that someone would have the heart (and time) to give us non-tech more challenged Treo users a hand.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I agree that sometimes a full search can be a rather daunting task.

To answer your question. I believe it is not possible to convert iTunes 6 music. Apparently apple has modified their protection and as far as I know cannot be done by the usual suspects until the change is solved. If I am wrong please let me know, as I have a slew of song in need of conversion.
  5.    #5  
    I've got a video question now. I downloaded TCPMP and even Videora ipod Converter. Then I downloaded the first episode of Lost from emule. Only it's an "srt" (or was it "str"?) file. I did some searches, but can't figure out what that is or how to convert it to something TCPMP can read. Any suggestions, or should I just try to only download shows that are already in certain formats?

Also, I read in another thread that someone got an itunes video to play on their Treo by downloading the AAC codec for palm os, so I'll try that later tonight too.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhyte
    I just sold my ipod 20G in anticipation of running out to get the new video ipod, but am now rethinking my decision. I'd like to give my Treo 650 a shot at the role of mp3/video portable player. I have a 1 GB card for my Treo, but otherwise no added software, and have never played music on it. I also (foolishly) upgraded to itunes 6.0. I'm sure there are other people out there who might find this thread helpful (I've search through a number of threads, and there seems to be no consensus on how best to start from scratch - granted there are many different programs, so opinions will differ).

1) So, if I want to be able to play music that I bought from itunes on my Treo 650, is there any program that can allow me to do this despite the fact that I have itunes 6.0?

2) What is the simplest way to get tv shows on my Treo? Granted, I don't even know what to use to download shows to my computer, so advice on which software/method for that would help too. Oh, and I have a series 2 Tivo if that is helpful in this process at all.

Basically, I'm looking for a Music/Video for Treo for Dummies guide. Anyone willing to give it a shot for those of us not technosavy enough to turn their Treo 650 into the perfect all-in-one cellmedia device on their own? Or should I just go get a video ipod? Many thanks.
    For #2, I use TCPMP.

EDIT: Don't use BadApple for iTunes 6.x, try this
    Last edited by naivete; 11/10/2005 at 01:53 PM.
  7.    #7  
    naivete - BadApple will not work for any music purchased through itunes. Also, in order to use it to sync music from your own CDs that you downloaded in itues, you would first need to convert the files to mp3s. I got that info from BadApple's faq:

"Aren't all the tracks in iTunes in MP3 format?

If you purchased tracks from iTunes, then they are NOT in MP3 format, but instead use DRM (digitally restricted music). This limits how the track can be copied and where they can be played. Even though you paid for the track you are merely renting it and Apple controls what you can do with it. If you download MP3 tracks, purchase them from MP3tunes or convert your own CDs into MP3 format they will work fine.

I ripped my own CDs and they still will not sync!

The default format in iTunes is not the universally accepted MP3 but instead a special format called AAC that Apple prefers. To change your iTunes go to Edit: Preferences: Importing and select "MP3 encoder" with the "Higher Quality" setting."

That's basically what I'm doing right now using card export and ptunes. Oddly, some of my music is in mp3, and some are in aac. For the mp3 files, I just use card export to put it on my Treo, and ptunes plays them perfectly. If it's in aac, I use a free converter to first convert it. Perhaps BadApple combines a few of those roles together, but it certainly doesn't let you listen to purchased itunes music. But thanks for the rec. Perhaps I'll check it out tonight. It certainly might streamline the process.

As for #2, I got tcpmp too, but am having trouble finding a place to download tv shows from in a format that will run on tcpmp. Where do you get your video from that you put on your treo? Thanks.

[RE: your edit adding idletunes, if you read that link further, you'll see that you can only download mp3s from itunes using it. Again, it won't work with purchased music, or music in aac. Also, I did try to use it, but couldn't get idletunes to work: I downloaded Idletunes and unzipped it, but when I try to open the file it says that "the application failed to initialize properly.]