1.    #1  
    I have a Sprint Treo 650. I'm going to Orlando in November for a week. No internet at my hotel. I MUST play internet poker before bed. I want to know.

1. Do you know if the bandwidth is enough for Pokerstars/partypoker.

2. I assume it uses the Vision connection on my phone. I have unlimited Vision but...will sprint cuy me off for exceding somesort of bandwidth limit?

3. Are there any known bugs or issues with this software that should make me think twice about installing this program?

Thank you in advance.

Rick
    As far as bugs go, pdanet doesn't seem to like to work after windows xp comes out from hibernate mode
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    But why not just start your "free trial" a few days before you go on vacation. I think you get 15 days and you can always pay for it while you're away if you're gone over 15 days.
    Last edited by Expidia; 10/31/2005 at 07:24 AM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselmonkey99
    I doubt it. It's like 1995-19,200-modem slow. Good enough for surfing and E-mail, but not for complex things. The Internet isn't really designed for slow connections anymore. I usually turn off images when I use PDANet.
    Faster than Dialup, slower than DSL. I am replying to this while on the train going to work. Only thing that allows me to do that.

John
    1 I would doubt it, but use the free trail and see
    2 No prpblem with Vision (I use it all the time, about 1hr/day of
    ."green bars").
    3 No bugs, it was on my 300 &
    600, used with WIN 98SE and XP. Never ever a problem.

BTW what hotel are you staying in that doesn't have a data port (or
    phone jack) in the room? I haven't stayed in one with out
    since 2001.

Good luck on the 'river'
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
    I used PDAnet all last week while at a conference. I was able to use my VPN and launch Outlook behind our firewall with no problems at all. It was not extremely fast, but not slow at all. I was using it via USB cable. I have found that it is faster using the cable than with bluetooth.
  8.    #8  
    I'm staying at a privately owned Condo. Not a major hotel chain. Ok so I will try it and see. DUH. Thanks all

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I used PDAnet all last week while at a conference. I was able to use my VPN and launch Outlook behind our firewall with no problems at all. It was not extremely fast, but not slow at all. I was using it via USB cable. I have found that it is faster using the cable than with bluetooth.
    Any chance you can do some bandwidth tests for each connection and report back here? I'm getting around 110 kbps with bluetooth DUN, as measured by the tests as DSLReports.com.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Only bug I am aware of is an complete incompatibility with Zonealarm 6. Zonealarm 5 works fine.
    I love PDANET! I was stuck for about a week without an internet connection at home because of a move and it worked like a charm. Not sure how much i'll actually be using since I don't travel.. but it works great!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselmonkey99
    I have a Sprint Treo 650. I'm going to Orlando in November for a week. No internet at my hotel. I MUST play internet poker before bed. I want to know.

2. I assume it uses the Vision connection on my phone. I have unlimited Vision but...will sprint cuy me off for exceding somesort of bandwidth limit?

3. Are there any known bugs or issues with this software that should make me think twice about installing this program?

Thank you in advance.

Rick
    1. It ain't great if your'e used to broadband, but it works. I didn't have a problem playing Pokerroom over PCS Vision & BT DUN (Dr. Wowe's hack). Since upgrading the ROM to 1.12, I haven't been able to get native BT DUN to work right (Error 692 on PC side), so I've switched to PDANet. Haven't played poker over it, but the speeds are a bit quicker according to dslreports.com.

That said, I recommend trying to set up the native BT DUN functionality before dropping the cash for PDANet. Just search TC for "BT DUN." There are tons of threads to help.

2. Again, a search will fill you in here too. Tethering is against your service agreement, but Sprint can't actually tell whether you have a laptop connected. They might send you a letter (which you can protest) if you exceed a certain bandwidth. I wouldn't think a couple of nights playing poker would trigger it.

3. A couple of people have reported problems, but PDANet has been very straightforward for me. Can't say the same for the stability of BT on Windows, so the USB option is nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    Any chance you can do some bandwidth tests for each connection and report back here? I'm getting around 110 kbps with bluetooth DUN, as measured by the tests as DSLReports.com.

-Warr
    I don't have the exact stats in front of me, but I pulled ~143 kbps via USB with PDANet and ~124 via BT PDANet when I first installed it. That's on Sprint using dslreports.com. Using Dr. Wowe's BTDunHack on 1.08 gave me the same as you, around 112 kbps.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  13.    #13  
    Update:

I downloaded the trial version of PDAnet. I was able to connect to Pokerstars and played for about 20 minutes just to see. There was a small amount of lag. But it definitly didn't in hibite my ability to play the game. the little pop up that let's you know that you are connected said 192 Kbs

Rick
    I was just in Vegas at a hotel that charged $12.95 a day for high speed internet and $1 per phone call with a 10 or so minute limit. PdaNet was fantastic. When you're used to high speed you can tell the difference, but it beats the heck out of dial up. If you carry a laptop on trips or on business around town I think PdaNet is a must. Try spending three or four hours in an airport on a layover. I know you can get a lot on the phone, but it's much nicer sitting somewhere and work on your laptop.