Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wow this totally wants me to get a Tivo now...

So the idea of this program is you put existing shows you've recorded on you Tivo and it puts them on the Treo?? Do they have to be saved on an SD card? If you save them and can view whenever now seems like a great time to grab a Tivo.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cford87
    Wow this totally wants me to get a Tivo now...

So the idea of this program is you put existing shows you've recorded on you Tivo and it puts them on the Treo?? Do they have to be saved on an SD card? If you save them and can view whenever now seems like a great time to grab a Tivo.
    First point. If you buy a Tivo, buy the lifetime subscription as opposed to monthly. Reason being, that subscription actually gets tied to the tivo box and increases it's resale value. I was recording on my computer but broke down and got a tivo and am glad I did. You may want to wait a couple of months as Apple is rumoreed to be releasing a Mac Mini media recorder.

Yea, the idea is to automatically transfer files when you're asleep, as tivo files are quite large and take a while, then convert them down to palm size AND rips the commercials. Plays great on TCPMP. Both TVHarmony and TCPMP are free programs.

TVHarmony Kicks A$$
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus2k1
    anything like this for comcast dvr?

I second that question.
    Alright.

I turned that old Windows box back on, accessed it via VNC (I'm on a Mac), installed Tivo2Go and now Harmony.

I moved a half hour Southpark episode with T2G, and have now been waiting three hours for Harmony to encode the show to Palm (320x320, with better than average settings) and I'd guess it's just over half way done. Should it be taking this long?

D-Vision2 for the Mac will encode an entire move (~2 hours) in 5 or 6.

That's a lot of trouble to get one half hour show on my Treo. But I guess the automated features would make it easier, but I'm waiting to see what the pricing model looks like once it comes out of beta.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Yeah, mine are being encoded very slowly as well which is a bummer. Also, it would be nice if there was another mode besides 320x320 that preserved the original aspect ratio (I guess 320x240 or something). I don't mind seeing it letterboxed as long as it preserves the proper aspect ratio.
    After countless hours of trying to get video on my Treo, I feel like giving up. Here's what I've done ..

TVHarmony

This seemed to work a charm at first .. I did the Tivo2Palm and got a nice 320x320 picture that looked great. However, after one success, every subsequent attempt produces a file with just audio on a black screen.

Pinnacle Studio

Hours and hours trying to produce a decent AVI file failed. Whenever people moved there was a lot of distortion. Tried to purchase the MP4 codec but I couldn't even find the screen to purchase it amongst pages of info (great usability there)

MP4 with other software

The VLC Media Player/Converter perfectly converts MPEG (using Tivo2MPEG) to MP4s. They can even be played in the Palm Desktop. However, when I do a sync, the files appear as an X on the Treo. Copied directly to card, same effect. Put extension as MP4, then 3G2, same thing. Downloaded TCPMP. This plays the video perfectly but cannot play audio due to some legal requirements.

MPEG1

At least this works, but quality is very poor.

I've spent so many hours and evenings on this, can someone please help me out before my girlfriend throws the Treo out of the window! The major problems are 1) Why does Tivo2Palm always give a black screen with audio 2) Why can I not play MP4 on the Treo? (video recorded on the camcorder works)
    Since you have Pinnacle Studio, convert the .tivo file to .mpg. Then use Pinnacle to make the file to fit Palm. I have had good results converting from .tivo to .mpg and maintaining good quality. I have a made a couple of DVD's from the .mpg files.
    Could you please share your Studio settings? The Treo can't play MPEG2 so I assume you've converted to MPEG or MPEG4? Also there seems to be limited Width and Height options whereas AVI, you can just choose any Width and Height. I have V9.

Thanks for your help.

Also, I also found just the hack to add MP4 audio to TCPMP..
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Edmonds
    Could you please share your Studio settings? The Treo can't play MPEG2 so I assume you've converted to MPEG or MPEG4? Also there seems to be limited Width and Height options whereas AVI, you can just choose any Width and Height. I have V9.

Thanks for your help.

Also, I also found just the hack to add MP4 audio to TCPMP..
    Actually, I use SmartMovie on my Treo to watch movies. So, I have used Studio to create high quality .avi and then run that file through SmartMovie Converter which gets the file size down to aroung 200mb. I then copy the file down to my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Since you have Pinnacle Studio, convert the .tivo file to .mpg. Then use Pinnacle to make the file to fit Palm. I have had good results converting from .tivo to .mpg and maintaining good quality. I have a made a couple of DVD's from the .mpg files.
    I do the same (tivo2mpg) ... all I needed TV Harmony to do is give me a useable mpg, I can take it from there. I tried tivo2palm, I didn't like how it changed the aspect ratio of the video
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah
    I do the same (tivo2mpg) ... all I needed TV Harmony to do is give me a useable mpg, I can take it from there. I tried tivo2palm, I didn't like how it changed the aspect ratio of the video
    Studio encoded a great looking MP4 on my Treo but it is 352x240 (there was no option to choose specific width/height). The original file (best quality) is 480x480. Can Studio encode it at 320x320? Or do you find watching at 352x240 or 320x240 is OK on a Treo (with the black bars top and bottom) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Edmonds
    Studio encoded a great looking MP4 on my Treo but it is 352x240 (there was no option to choose specific width/height). The original file (best quality) is 480x480. Can Studio encode it at 320x320? Or do you find watching at 352x240 or 320x240 is OK on a Treo (with the black bars top and bottom) ?
    I prefer 352x240, I use TCPMP to watch videos, I choose the fit+20% option in TCPMP it zooms in on the video(clips the sides) but keeps the aspect in tact. So the vid fills more of the screen, and everybody doesn't look 7ft tall
    HI ALL,

I am coming into this late in the game. I have a media windows hp computer and I have a very old tivo, in fact it is the 1st model they sold and I have it for years.

It (my Tivo), has been dying slowly as it fails to download tv info for days on end, this time it went 8 days without downloading the tv "guide" as I keep getting an error report.

Every time I threaten to buy a new one, it ends up working again.

Well 4 days ago, after 8 days on refusing to download info, (I have reset it to download as many as 15 to 20 times a day and no sucess), so I finally ordered a new tivo. It was long over due, my remote control play button, is held in place with a piece of paper covered with a zillion layers of scotch tape, the remote goes on and off by itself, and often stays"on" for hours on end, so I should save a fortune on battery costs.

Lo and behold, the old one has downloaded the guide info properly for for days.

I did get a great deal though, an 80 machine for $99, however the machine is refurbished. (however, as I said before, I have this one from the day they came out)! It has a rebate of $150, I did not ask for about "lifetime" fees and will when the mahcine arrives.

A new remote I think is $39 and it costs $20 to call Phillips to tech support, so it would have costs $59 to attempt to fix up my old machine.

My guess is the hard drive is slowly dying! Keep in mind that Tivo to go does not even work with the orginal "dinos" that we all ran to buy when it 1st came out. In fact, I did get it for free as years ago, compuseve had a $00 rebate and I could apply it to anything at Curcuit City, so I have it for free at least 6 or so years!

I have not tried to play anything from my Media HP desktop on my treo 650, as my treo 600 just died and I just got a treo 650.

My tivo is in another room from my comuter, so I assume I will have to run a wire to the computer to convert files, shoud I wish to convert files on my computer and then transfer to my treo. However the "tivo" room is my bedroom and actually is behind my home office with my desk top computer. So if wires have to be run it is very easy, as I ran router wires that way when routers first came out, (my laptop is in the same bedroom as the tivo).

So now I will have the option for both media windows in the office and tivo in the bedroom, with the option of a wire to the desktop to convert tivo files or to my laptop to convert tivo files.

Ok so after this very long winded story, which works best tivo to go or media hp to convert to my treo on a sd card. No matter which you recommend, I will need to get extra software for a converstion, if so what programs are need to convert the files and how many will I be able to get on an sd card, (they are so cheap now that a one gig card is just a few bucks. (I already have a 1/2 gig with exra software, my music and a backupbuddy copy of all of my treo software).

Any suggestiosn of which to is best and how to proceed?

Thanks and take care, Jay.

PS I hope what ever holiday if any that you have partaken in that is was "the best". MY feeling is that mine was noisy and fattening, and thank god they do not ome every day!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Anyone figure out if the Comcast dvr box can be used in lieu of the Tivo?
    Advance - Dude, your site is pretty intense
    The truth of Islam is not pretty. Better for O/T.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil
    Advance - Dude, your site is pretty intense
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12