1. BJB
    I recently moved to the Treo 650 and I just need a simple e-mail client on the treo to get POP3 e-mail. I don't want synching with any desktop e-mail. I don't need e-mail in the conduit. Basically, something like Eudora that I previously used. I am with Verizon so they do not put Versamail in ROM.

However I have read everything I can about Versamail and cannot find any documentation or posts that describe a way to just get it on the Treo. I mean if you could just grab the PRC and any related files that would do it. But it appears to get to that point, the Versamail install wants to put itself all over your desktop.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. I have read that even if you install it and try to turn all the Versamail synch/desktop stuff off, it can create problems.

Any tips most appreaciated. I understand Snappermail is well thought of, but it appears that may be a bit of overkill for me but I will try anything that just gets me an e-mail client on the Treo and leaves my desktop alone.

O yes, I do not want to use wireless synch....

BJB
    I have it installed on both my treo and pc, but I changed the hotsync settings to not synchronize Versamail as default.
    willpooted, is correct.......thats the only way, at least that I know of.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  4. BJB
    Thanks. I am going to research snappermail and see if the lite version stays away from synching. So I guess it is either that or roll the dice that a full versamail install with the synch conduit turned off will behave.

BJB
    How do I get Versamail on the desktop ????
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    You can always just uninstall the desktop application once you have it on your palm. But to tell you the truth if you are using it for POP3 the versamail sync feature, which does not sync with a desktop app for POP3 it syncs with server, is a nice feature for keeping your inbox up to date.
    bmeskin, you be able to open Versamail Desktop from your Palm Desktop, once opened click on the Versamail icon, & you can set up accounts.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  8. BJB
    AMS123,

Thanks for the advice. Can you elaborate on how the POP3 synching works? I guess I assumed that it used the hotsynch conduit to synch your Outlook inbox to your Palm Versamail.

I am not sure what synching with a POP3 server means? I guess what I am used to for a plam e-mail "pull" app is to initiate a session, poll the POP3 server, and download any new e-mail. Then if based on how you have you have the e-mail server settings set, it either leaves the e-mail on the server or it deletes it.

Does versamail do something different?

BJB
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    If you use a web app or desktop email as you primary email reader, leaving messages on the server, and use you treo as a secondary device this works out well. You can pull and read email in Versamail then when you sync the conduit will check your POP3 or IMAP account on the web, not what you have in outlook or the like, and update your inbox with changes, add new mail and remove mail you have deleted from the server. The only exception is if you left it on the server but deleted it from the treo you will not see it again, as long as it is in the Versamail trash folder. So if you are like most people and leave relevant email in your inbox, not in a folder, you can stay up to date without managing your messages in two places.
  10. BJB
    AMS123,

Okay I think I understand how you can use versamail with POP3.

Will it do the following?

1. Versamail on treo grabs pop3 e-mail and leaves it on the server.
    2. Desktop uses Outlook to grab all POP3 e-mail and IT deletes the e-mail from the server after download.
    3. Synching does not move any e-mail either from palm to desktop or v.v. and does not delete any e-mail either.

This setup works for me currently and I would like to keep it if possible.

Thanks,
    BJB
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Yes on all three but I have it set up to Outlook leaves mail on server until I move or delete from inbox. That way I have current messages on the desktop and treo but that option is up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    How do I get Versamail on the desktop ????
    That's the same question I have. My friend has Versamail on his pc and can launch it from the PalmDesktop application. However, I don't have the icon on my Palm Desktop and it is not an option anywhere. I found the program file and tried launching it that way, but received an error message about it being loaded already. It would be nice to have this feature as I've had Versamail just erase all my email on the Treo before (actually 4 times). Maybe it's time to go to chatter.