1.    #1  
    Ok, let's say you Treo 650 gets lost/stolen/wanders off at the mall/etc.

Several programs have a SMS kill function (the phone will hard reset if a certian SMS message is sent).

However, responsiable Treo owners usually have an SD card in their Treo which likely contains backups of all your data. If a theif was interested in your data, he could simply restore the backup after you sent the SMS kill command.

Is there a way to "lock" an SD card to avoid this? Alternatively, can one encrypt the backup data?

Note: I am not interested in locking my phone such that I have to enter a code every time I use it.

Suggestions?
    I would think you would have to encrypt the whole cards data.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    you might look at mEncryptor and Xforcer from Toysoft. these are supposed to either 1. Lock wthe device and encrypt Data backed up to the SD card, but not the whole contents of the Card itself) - Xforcer or 2. be able to encrypt what databases you chooose wherever they are (mEncryptor). encryption is 256AES.

personally i have never been able to get either of them to work at all on my Treo600, despite much back-and-forthing with Danny, the Toysoft guy, with regard to mEncryptor. it cant "find my SD card".

good luck

geoff

RescoExplorer also can be used for security purposes but it is unclear to me what level of encryption it uses.
    Some apps encrypt the backup you make and some others not only hard reset the phone, but also wipe you SD card clean. I use Tealbackup which encrypts the back up and I use mSafe, that wipes the SD card when I send the kill SMS. I know it works as I tried it out (I backed up my SD card first).

P.
    Last edited by scaphil; 10/28/2005 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling error (rest -> reset)
    I'm confused. Why would you leave your backup data SD card IN your PDA? It doesn't do you any good as a backup when your PDA is lost or stolen. I had mine stolen from a business meeting a few years ago. Everybody in the meeting was freaking out about how they would probably jump off a building or something if they lost theirs.
    I went out and bought another one at the lunch break, got the SD card from my room containing the backup I'd made that morning, restored it, and had my fully loaded and functional PDA in the next meeting after lunch. It not only blew their minds, but, I have to admit it blew mine as well.
    Stolen PDA and I didn't have to skip a beat.

Oh....and my restored PDA had all of my credit cards and c/c phone numbers on it so I could quickly call and cancel them after the meeting. Three of the credit cards had started being charged-up while I was sitting in the afternoon meeting. The c/c companies were grateful that I was able to let them know of the theft within a few short hours. They said most people don't report it that quick.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    All of my c/c data and passwords and such were in an encrypted file on my PDA, but it sure would have been nice back then to have what I have now with mSafe.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    where can we find msafe?
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    In what way is it free?
    http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?msafe
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    msafe is pretty good about locking/formatting the device and the SD card
    Treoing & Loving it
    Central also has this feature. You send an SMS and it will wipe the card and device. Lots of other cool features too. Download it from http://swc.palmone.com/us/html/displ...&id=prod580662
    Quote Originally Posted by serious joe
    Central also has this feature. You send an SMS and it will wipe the card and device. Lots of other cool features too. Download it from http://swc.palmone.com/us/html/displ...&id=prod580662
    Are you sure Central wipes the SD Card? All I see is that it wipes memory.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagger
    Ok, let's say you Treo 650 gets lost/stolen/wanders off at the mall/etc.

Several programs have a SMS kill function (the phone will hard reset if a certian SMS message is sent).

However, responsiable Treo owners usually have an SD card in their Treo which likely contains backups of all your data. If a theif was interested in your data, he could simply restore the backup after you sent the SMS kill command.

Is there a way to "lock" an SD card to avoid this? Alternatively, can one encrypt the backup data?

Note: I am not interested in locking my phone such that I have to enter a code every time I use it.

Suggestions?
    Since Katrina, all of my most sensitive data is on my SD card. That data, not the whole content of the card, is encrypted using COTS (probably on your desktop) software. I encrypted it before moving it to the SD card and the encryption software is not on the card.