Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    heck.. my post is probably not goign to get read, but I winf that one of the best sites is www.beyond2000.com (it IS an avantgo channel. VERY COOL. I also get Cnet, ZDNET(really bad) VC, Wired (AWESEOM!) NYtimes, both my local papersPc world.. Whatever HTML page Online I want.. and the Wall St. Journal.. cool eh?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I'm in the NYC area and Fox News doesn't work for me anymore. Bummer. I liked their mix of current events and entertainment. The notice from Avantgo that was on my Fox News Channel telling me they were no longer supported suggested I try cnn.com, which is a new channel. It is OK, but I like Fox News better.
    I'm still working on getting the local paper on AvantGo. Other than that the ones that have stayed constant for some time are:
    • Daily Almanac
    • Joke A Day (Mature)
    • MapQuest - directions
    • PBS
    • Slate
    • The Onion
    • VisorCentral (I don't know why I'm here often enough)
    • Weather Underground (printable page for my local forcast, sun rise/set info, moon rise/set, current conditions
    • Weather Underground's Radar for my area (copy just the link for the actual radar picture, not the whole page otherwise you'll be doing a lot of scrolling).
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 02/27/2001 at 11:58 AM.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    UselessKnowledge.com
    BeNews
    Cinemark
    Metacritic.com
    PDA Trivia Quiz
    SCI FI Channel
    VisorCentral

Another favorite of mine is downloading directions from Mapquest.com and syncing them (either map and/or directions) through AvantGo. You can customize the color (B&W, grayscale, or color) as well as the title. Very cool for those living without a GPS Springboard module!
    I've seen references to pages like The Onion, as well as my local paper as having Avantgo pages,yet they aren't listed on the Avantgo Channel site, nor do I find any references to them on the home pages of the sites themselves.

Short of creating a poorly formatted custom channel, how do I access these "unlisted" Avantgo sites?
    Check out

http://www.plinkit.com

for listing of palm-customized sites. Some of these are listed on AvantGo's page but a number of them (including "The Onion") aren't. Copy the urls and set them up as custom pages.
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    Short of creating a poorly formatted custom channel, how do I access these "unlisted" Avantgo sites?
    Well, the best trick I've seen is to see if the desired page has a "printer friendly" version. If you use that for a custom AvantGo channel, it formats nicely on the Visor.

--
    SURREAL SAGE SEZ: The city of Ankh-Morpork is as full of life as an old cheese on a hot day, as loud as a curse in a cathedral and as full of activity, industry, bustle and sheer exuberant busyness as a dead dog on a termite mound.
    Well, mine for one.

But otherwise....NY Times. Fox Sports. Sporting News.
    Mapquest. The Economist. Visor Central. WineToday.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    If you like: King Crimson, Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Brian Eno, Tony Levin, Bill Bruford, Peter Gabriel, or any of their numerous associates -- http://www.elephant-talk.com/ is a goody. Can't remember now whether I set it up at Avant Go or at E-T. I think either is possible.
    If anyone uses Blazer and tried to access Fox News or Fox Sports... you would have received a message saying Fox News and Fox Sports will no longer be mobile as of Febraury 16th.

Just letting the people in doubt know...
    how can i add the onion as a avantgo channel. please help since i love the site and would love to have it on my palm. thanks
    Originally posted by flailer
    how can i add the onion as a avantgo channel. please help since i love the site and would love to have it on my palm. thanks
    Create a custom channel, title it whatever you want, put http://mobile.theonion.com/ for the location, 70k for the size, link depth of 1, include images yes, follow off-site links no (doesn't matter as there aren't any). It's refreshed on Wednesdays, but I still have mine to update everytime (I don't know why).
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    My list:

• Chopstix Recipe of the Day
    • Guardian Unlimited
    • Pen Computing
    • Radio-Locator Travel Guide
    • The Wall Street Journal
    • VisorCentral
    • Wired
    Obfuscation is the philosophy of quality politics.
    Originally posted by zoomie
    I also like to have some web cams available for example:
    http://www.usafa.af.mil/tcam/tcam.jpg
    This is much prettier:

http://www.eecs.usma.edu/clubs/hams/...s/camserv1.jpg

I can't wait for the new camera to come on line -- a preview of things to come is at

http://www.eecs.usma.edu/clubs/hams/pages/gap.jpg
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

Create a custom channel, ....
    I hear Avant go is going to discontinue custom channels...
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    UPDATE...

A Daily Dose of UselessKnowledge.com
    AnandTech to Go
    Auto.com
    ClipACoupon.com Mobile Coupons
    Daily Almanac
    eDealFinder.com Mobile Coupons
    EMAZING.com Technology
    ePrairie.com
    File Flash
    GALE FORCE F1
    graphicsdesign.org
    K10k.net Design News
    Palm Infocenter.com
    PDA Trivia Quiz
    PDABuzz.com
    Pen Computing
    PlinkIt
    Recipezaar To Go
    SitePoint To Go
    Techbargains
    The Industry Standard
    TheOnion
    TotalDeals Mobile Edition
    VisorCentral
    Yahoo!
    Originally posted by Mark Squires

I hear Avant go is going to discontinue custom channels...
    what? where did you hear this? Are they going to make everyone pay $10K for an AvantGo content provider server now? They should just start charging a couple bucks per month.

I, TO THIS DAY, HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY REMAIN TO KEEP THE CONSUMER SIDE FREE. Not yelling at you member, just voicing a frustration on how they could fire 50 people this week and still offer the browser and content for free.s
    Best new avantgo channel:

Shrub's Blogger:

http://www.satirewire.com/weblog/bushblog.shtml

Exclude images, include offsite links.
    Originally posted by timmins
    I, TO THIS DAY, HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY REMAIN TO KEEP THE CONSUMER SIDE FREE. Not yelling at you member, just voicing a frustration on how they could fire 50 people this week and still offer the browser and content for free.s
    For better or worse, that's the way the web works. There's no money in online content, unless it's exclusive sports info, premium WSJ info, or "mature" material. Future incarnations of Napster may join the short list of exceptions.

To have a popular site, you need free to supply free content (the glory days of Napster), but you make no money from consumers. To make money from consumers, you need to charge for content (the dark days of Slate), but your site becomes unpopular next to free/cheaper sites -- so you make no money from advertisers. Net result: the dot-com crash.

That said, I don't understand AvantGo's business model, either.
  20. dvd
    Beyond2000.com
    CNET News.com
    Consumer Reports Electronics
    Handheld Computing (tm) Magazine
    InfoWorld to Go
    iobox Mobile Fun
    Mac Observer Mobile Edition
    MacNN Mobile Edition
    New York Times - Front Page
    PDA451Lite
    The Wall Street Journal