Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dropped my 650 while i was working and i cracked my lcd, what is the cheapest, but most effiecient way to get it fixed, in a timely manner? Any suggestions, by the way VERIZON turned me down on insurance. HELP ME PLEASE!
    Thanks
    Russ P.
    If Verizon turned you down, a reapir through Palm might be your only option. Unfortunately they charge $170 to replace the display.

The good thing is, that they offer an advance exchange. In that case they ship you the replacement phone first. And you send the broken unit back in the box that the replacment came in. It took 2 days for my replacment to arrive after filling out the repair order on Palms website.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtalexad2001
    If Verizon turned you down, a reapir through Palm might be your only option. Unfortunately they charge $170 to replace the display.

The good thing is, that they offer an advance exchange. In that case they ship you the replacement phone first. And you send the broken unit back in the box that the replacment came in. It took 2 days for my replacment to arrive after filling out the repair order on Palms website.
    So basicaly i pay them 170 and they send me a new Phone (if im lucky).
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba_palmer
    So basicaly i pay them 170 and they send me a new Phone (if im lucky).
    They will send one. A broken screen is a paid a repair, not a warrany claim. No luck involved

http://www.palm.com/us/support/contact/repair.html

Just click you way through for an 'out of warranty repair'
  5.    #5  
    So all i need to do is fill out his claim, and they will send me a new phone, and i send my old one? That sounds to easy?
    Quote Originally Posted by gtalexad2001
    They will send one. A broken screen is a paid a repair, not a warrany claim. No luck involved

http://www.palm.com/us/support/contact/repair.html

Just click you way through for an 'out of warranty repair'
    Is there anywhere the pricing for diff. repair options is posted without having to go through all the various screens and as if you are entering a repair?

I'm debating whether or not to get insurance on my device...never ever lost a phone (and had the 600 since launch); but I have dropped/broken a screen before. If it's $150 to repair, that might be a more acceptable risk to take than laying out $72 annually in insurance, plus $50 deductible.
    PSA FOR ALL WHO DO NOT KNOW:
    For future reference, one of the best deals on the planet is to check with CompUSA when you buy a phone, PDA, TV, whatever. If they carry the product, then within 30 days of your purchase (wherever it may be--even on the internet) you can buy 2 years of the best maintainance/replacement/money back insurance you have ever seen. I buy it with all my stuff. For $149 you're covered for 2 years for anything, and NO DEDUCTIBLE. Even if you drop your item in the toilet, drop it off a building, run over it with your car...it doesn't matter. It's called TAP. Learn it, use it, live it. The only downside is you must recover at least a piece of your insured item to be covered as it does not cover theft.
    When I found out that Cingular's insurance plan doesn't cover items like PDA's, it was almost a deal-killer for me until I remembered I could run down to the local CompUsa and buy TAP. I bought CompUSA's TAP for my Cingular purchase. Now I'm golden.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc
    PSA FOR ALL WHO DO NOT KNOW:
    For future reference, one of the best deals on the planet is to check with CompUSA when you buy a phone, PDA, TV, whatever. If they carry the product, then within 30 days of your purchase (wherever it may be--even on the internet) you can buy 2 years of the best maintainance/replacement/money back insurance you have ever seen. I buy it with all my stuff. For $149 you're covered for 2 years for anything, and NO DEDUCTIBLE. Even if you drop your item in the toilet, drop it off a building, run over it with your car...it doesn't matter. It's called TAP. Learn it, use it, live it. The only downside is you must recover at least a piece of your insured item to be covered as it does not cover theft.
    When I found out that Cingular's insurance plan doesn't cover items like PDA's, it was almost a deal-killer for me until I remembered I could run down to the local CompUsa and buy TAP. I bought CompUSA's TAP for my Cingular purchase. Now I'm golden.
    So...if I buy a Treo from CompUSA, drop it in the toilet in my 15th floor penthouse, and then a major earthquake hits at that instant, crumbling that corner of the building, thus plummeting the toilet to ground below, in which case it gets run over by a UPS truck, it's covered? Fantastic!! But, if on my way down to the street, some azzhat picks up my treo and runs off with it, I'm SOL?

Decisions...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Heh. Sort of. You got it all right except for the fact that you don't have to buy the Treo at CompUSA. Just the TAP insurance.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    CompUSA is the best replacement warranty out there. I used to work there back in the day and will not buy any phone, TV, DVD player, etc anywhere else, even if it is cheaper. I have always walked in and walked out with a new phone.

You may want to try eBay. I was browsing around bored one day and found some LCD's for like $30 or $40.
    Please clue me it. I pay 5 bucks a month for insurance at lockline and if my phon is lost, stolen, broken I get a replcement for 50 bucks.

Isnt this the best?
    Not necessarily. I paid $549 2 years ago for my Treo 600, plus 149 for the TAP. It had some problems that I just lived with until just before the 2 years was up. I went to CompUSA with my TAP policy and receipt in hand (the Treo was not purchased at CompUSA) and returned it for a $580 in-store credit (incl tax). And did not have to pay a deductible to do it. I used my Treo for two years for $149 and was given more than enough credit to buy a Treo 650 and some accessories. There is no better insurance policy than that.

If I had done a phone company offer I would have paid $120 in premiums in 2 years (5/mo), plus a $50 deductible to get back a Treo 600.

Huge difference.
    I sounds like only a $20.00 difference to me. You paid 150 for 2 year insurance in case you have to replace your phone. I pay 120 for 2 years and pay an extra 50 for a deductible in case I have to replace my phone.

So for 20 bucks cheaper you get insurance that doesnt cover you for theft.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to be covered in the best possible way at a good price.
    Right, but I think you might have missed the part about not only getting a 650 instead of a 600, but enough money left over for some accessories. No, I don't think you're being a jerk. I just don't think most people can comprehend what an unbelievable deal TAP is (except for theft--true).
    With lockline you would get a 650 if there were no refurb 600s left and the 650 would probably be a refurb also.

If it were stolen could you say you accidentally dropped it while riding your off-roader threw the Tundra?

I mean to say do you have to produce a phone to collect on insurance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    I mean to say do you have to produce a phone to collect on insurance?
    Yes.
  17.    #17  
    Do i need to buy a new lcd on eBay or should i just get insurance from someone and get them to replace it? The only thing is, I dont know how to fix the Lcd even if i get a new one, so i doomed!
    Did you actually READ any of the posts, or did you just answer your own without bothering??
    You won't be able to get the CompUSA TAP. You need to have it brand new in the box and they have to see it in order for you to get it. They don't want to get screwed. If you get lockline, you will have to wait 30 days to file a claim. You can always buy a new phone...The decision is yours...
    I thought I had to go the repair route or buy new when I ran over my 650 with a golf cart. I called Amex and under the buyer protection program the credited me the full $651. Woohoo
    Larry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast