Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    FYI -

Story Here

Yahoo Doubles Music-Subscription Fee Oct. 27, 2005
    E-Mail This Article

Even at around $120 annually, Yahoo's music service is still less expensive than similar services from Napster and RealNetworks.
    By Michael Liedtke , The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)--Yahoo Inc. is doubling the price of its online music subscription service for portable MP3 players, ending a short-lived promotion that sought to lure consumers from Apple Computer Inc.'s market-leading iTunes store.

Effective Nov. 1, Yahoo will charge about $120 annually for access via download to more than 1 million songs that can then be transferred to portable players. The Internet powerhouse has been charging just under $60 annually--a price most industry observers predicted wouldn't last when Yahoo entered the market in early May.

Subscribing to the service on a monthly basis will cost $11.99, up from $6.99 under the initial pricing plan. That's closer to but still below services from Napster Inc. and RealNetworks Inc., which each charge just under $15 per month.

With its service, Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Yahoo joined Napster and RealNetworks in trying to sell the concept of renting an unlimited amount of tunes for a set fee instead of buying copies individually.

The rental approach is supposed to encourage customers to sample different genres and discover new artists. But if the subscription expires, the previously downloaded music becomes unplayable. Customers at Apple's iTunes store, by contrast, keep the songs they buy.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said Yahoo's low rental prices didn't impress most consumers because the service isn't compatible with Apple's iPod--which boasts about 75 percent of the market for portable players.

"About 90 percent of the (iTunes) music store's success has to do with the devices that it works with," Munster said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
    I decided to try Yahoo music unlimited. With the increase in price coming up, I figured I would see how it is while it was still cheap. The only thing I can say is AWESOME. For $60/year (at least for the first year) you can download thousands of songs. I was amazed at the variety and selection. Once you download them in the Yahoo Music Engine, you can sync them into your Treo 650 from the Yahoo program. Of course you have to have PocketTunes Deluxe but I would say if you like music on your Treo, take advantage of Yahoo while it is still cheap.
    I was kind of angry at first that they raised the prices so high but then again I bit the bullet and paid for the whole year to lock in the $4.99 a month price. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    I decided to try Yahoo music unlimited. With the increase in price coming up, I figured I would see how it is while it was still cheap. The only thing I can say is AWESOME. For $60/year (at least for the first year) you can download thousands of songs. I was amazed at the variety and selection. Once you download them in the Yahoo Music Engine, you can sync them into your Treo 650 from the Yahoo program. Of course you have to have PocketTunes Deluxe but I would say if you like music on your Treo, take advantage of Yahoo while it is still cheap.
    I dont get this..
    I just got 3 months free service because I'm a Verizon DSL customer for the 'unlimited' package. I see that it gives me access to thousands of files that can be 'streamed' but if I want to download a copy to my hard-drive its 79c. Please correct me I am wrong but if your downloding and syncing files that means your paying 79c per track. Have you checked your credit card statement lately?....
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I a not sure what deal you have via Verizon but Yahoo! Music Unlimited is $4.99/month if you pay for hte year in advance and that includes unlimited downloads to 'compatible' players or to the Yahoo! Music engine. Their service uses Microsoft's DRM encryption and as a result the players must also use the same encryption.

Hmmm, I have about 9 months remaining on my subscription and I woncer if I could subscribe for another year at the $60/year price?
    If you download the music, you can play it on your computer or compatible music player. The Treo 650 is compatible when you use PocketTunes Deluxe. If you want to burn the music to a CD, you need to buy it.
    Thanks for clearing that up guys. I noticed downloads in my folder and thought that I had 'purchased' them at 79c a pop. Is it true that when I 'un-subscribe' the files no longer work? I cant see how thats possible.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    ... Is it true that when I 'un-subscribe' the files no longer work? I cant see how thats possible.
    Again give the encrypton scheme (DRM) with Microsoft I would guess that you are correct that once unsubscribed, your downloads would not be playable. If you think about it, the $60/$120 per year subscription fee gives you access to the library AND the encryption license. If the encryption license was excluded then you would be able to play on any WMA player.

NOTE: this is purely my own conjecture as I have not unsubscribed;-)

~~~ gottago ~~~
    Yes, when you unsubscribe you lose the songs. This happens because the player you use can tell time via an internal clock. After it has been a month since your last sync, it will cancel all the songs. This happens to me as I never sync mine. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Yes, when you unsubscribe you lose the songs. This happens because the player you use can tell time via an internal clock. After it has been a month since your last sync, it will cancel all the songs. This happens to me as I never sync mine. :-)
    Are you talking about syncing with the Treo or the Yahoo! service?
    It really is rather cool to manage playlists on the treo via the Yahoo! engine. Its almost worth the money just for that. I will see how I feel at the end of the 3 month trial
    It really is rather cool to manage playlists on the treo via the Yahoo! engine. Its almost worth the money just for that. I will see how I feel at the end of the 3 month trial
    Both. Any device (computer or otherwise) that can play subscription music has a sense of time and will know when it is to no longer let you listen to the music. Same concept behind online "rentals" where it expires a day after you first play it.
    The only thing, really the subject of this thread, is the price is going to double on Nov. 1. If you think you will like Yahoo music, you should up your subscription today or tomorrow.
    The songs that you purchase for .79 each are yours forever.

The songs that you add to 'my music' are rented and are there forever, however you can only listen to them as long as you have a valid license for them which you get my maintaining your service.