Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.avvenu.com/

Works pretty good to access your files from your PC to your Treo

Havent tried it too extensively yet but I like what I see.
    It looks interesting. The main page says the service is free, but the manual and FAQs show that there is a subscription fee unless you have a promo code for free service. Any info on that? Did you have to subscribe or did you get a promo code for free service? Not asking for the code. Just wondering if it's free or paid.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  3.    #3  
    I didnt put anything in the promo code just registered.

I downloaded the app from palmgear.com

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodid=113448

Says it is free and I did not apy anything.
  4.    #4  
    You actually can log onto your PC from any PC in the world with this program I believe.

Pretty Cool.
    Is this free now and then later not (aka: winhand)?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Is this free now and then later not (aka: winhand)?

I was wondering the same thing . It is i think partly owned my Motorola.

I found this in the questions section.
    Is it really FREE?
    Yes! The baseline service is free so you can share your photo and access your files wherever you are

I am not sure what baseline service means? But I did not pay anythng and will not but I seem to be able to access everything

Avvenu was founded in early 2004 by a team of professionals with expertise in the areas of P2P (peer-to-peer) file sharing, distributed
    computing systems, and VoIP (Voice-over-Internet Protocol) technology. The Avvenu service is based on the company’s patent-pending technology in media routing and managed peer-to-peer content access and distribution.

Based in Palo Alto, California, the company is funded by Charles River Ventures, Worldview Technology Partners, and Motorola Ventures.
    Would someone please describe for me how these programs actually work? In as non-techy terms as possible please!

When you use your Treo to look at something on your PC, does it route through some server somewhere where others can see it too? In other words, how secure is it?

Thanks in advance!
    Yeah, already mentioned elsewhere.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=avvenu

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Great find! Thanks for a post VaccPalm.

This deserves a ba-bump...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if any of these kinds of programs are available yet for the Mac?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I've tried it and it works but...
    This is a service which apparently works by logging into Avenu's webserver "portal".
    I'm not excited about sharing access with third parties.
    I prefer use a VPN with WiFile Pro.
    My only problem is my carrier (TSTT) does not appear to pass the GRE packets necessary for a VPN connection. I'll have to troubleshoot a little more and possibly write to them...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I use it from my 650 to grab files from work and home. Anyone know how to upload from the 650 using Avvenu? I remember enabling a setting for it but I see no way to actually do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    I've tried it and it works but...
    This is a service which apparently works by logging into Avenu's webserver "portal".
    I'm not excited about sharing access with third parties.
    Agreed - after digging in further I'm not too excited either. The search continues. I basically just want something Web-based (like Avvenu), but I only want it to involve my client computer and my home server, nothing else in between.
    why not just install a web server? Works well enough for me. Or an ftp server and use something like lftp? This would be cool if it didn't go through their servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek
    why not just install a web server? Works well enough for me. Or an ftp server and use something like lftp?
    Good idea - this will be my next move (part of my first Linux box building project).
    I think this is a great program for those of us who don't have the means to buy a static IP internet connection. If I were to start a service on my PC that only looked for my phone directly connecting to it, how would I know when my PC's IP address changed so I know where to point my phone? I've tried dyndns.org and all those, but it seems to me that you need to update your home IP at those websites when your ISP lease expires. With Avvenu, the client on your PC automatically tells the Avvenu server where to point your phone when you log in to Avvenu from the road. Ingenious, as far as I can tell.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8
    I think this is a great program for those of us who don't have the means to buy a static IP internet connection. If I were to start a service on my PC that only looked for my phone directly connecting to it, how would I know when my PC's IP address changed so I know where to point my phone? I've tried dyndns.org and all those, but it seems to me that you need to update your home IP at those websites when your ISP lease expires....
    There are many freeware apps that detect when your dynamic IP changes and then update your dyndns.org or no-ip.net account. The same functionality is also built into many routers. Quite convenient.
    My d-link router doesn't have this functionality, and quite frankly, I had no idea that such freeware software exited. Could you be so kind as to point me to them? I'd love for my dyndns account to update automatically, as I run a shoutcast stream from my PC. It's quite frustrating to point pTunes at my dyndns account and the stream can't be found because my IP changed!!!
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Here is a list that DynDNS.org provides:

http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html

There are a lot of others too you can search around for, but that's a pretty long list - I'm sure you can find something in there.
    ninodelsol:

Thanks for the link. I didn't know that dyndns.org offered their own proprietary updater client. I found it there, and it works wonderfully. I manually released my DHCP on my cable modem, renewed the IP, and the dyndns client worked in updating the IP on my dyndns.org account. Thanks for the tip!
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast