1.    #1  
    I plan on going to Ensenada in a few weeks, with my (unlocked) Cingular Treo 650. Last June, I used the (locked) Cingular Treo 650..mostly for picture-emails. My bill was a whopping $300.

Question: Has anyone used an (unlocked) Treo 650 in Baja Mexico. If so, where do you get the SIM cards & how much are they? Where is a good place to get the "re-charge" cards?

------------
    Adding Talk Time:

Telcel recharge cards (in Mexico, generically called "fichas") are available at most of the many convenience stores and magazine kiosks throughout Mexico. You enter the recharge code from the card into your handset to apply more call credit to your Telcel SIM card. You may also purchase the recharge codes through ATMs. They may be purchased in denominations of 100, 200, 300 and 500 Pesos.
    ----------

I've seen places in US, which sell SIM cards for $68:

http://www.mindlogic.com/SIM_CTRY_mexico_DTL.shtml

Would I do better just to get it down in Baja?

----------------------
    Anyone successfully use a Treo 650 (Sprint PCS) in Baja California (for voice AND Dat
    If so, how far down were you. I am going to Ensenada & then La Punta Banda. Anyone able to ise their Treo 650 Sprint PCS (or any carrier) as far down as above mentioned spots? Back when I had the Treo 300 when it first came out, my friends & took a trip to Rosarito. Well I was shocked to find I could use the dang thing for calls & data & it was NOT roaming (Treo is one band digital only). I was on Sprint PCS network still!! I got back home & checked bill to make sure... yep, no roaming charges. So the towers from San Diego reach that far?! I hope I can use it in Ensenada & below. Nothing like lying under the stars overlooking the ocean from a cliff in Baja, Mexico whilst IMing my jealous friends back in Hell-"A"...
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Anyone have an update on this? I'm going to get my Treo unlocked, and head to Cabo. Any more info on SIMs, data (not TOTALLY necessary, but nice to have), etc.?

Thanks
    You should be able to get a SIM card for N100 pesos, about $10 US dollars. Go to any small Telcel store and buy one. You might also want to look into getting a phone for $50-$60 dollars with about $30-$40 dollars of airtime

I have 2 telcel SIMs... I haven't added any $$$ in over a year and I still get SMS messages. Used to be able to send free SMS here from Nor Cal but not anymore...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    last time I went to Mex I used my T-mo Unlimited Internet with no problems and no extra charge. I carried an extra phone with a local SIM for local calls.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Huh. Thanks for the info, however:

a) I'm on Cingular. So what are the data ramifications and charges?

b) Is this what people recommend? getting a second phone? I read up that TelCel seems to have the best coverage; is this what I should look for as a prepaid? Should I buy one down there?

Thanks.
    There is also Telefonica Moviestar on the GSM side, but I think they are CDMA in Baja California and GSM on the "mainland"

You need to look at your options once you get there and I am guessing you don't need another phone, but they do have good deals on phones sometimes with plenty of airtime, at least in $$$$, not minutes.

Also, you can sign up 5 friends for preferred rates, just in case a group of you get SIM cards. Probably irrelavent if you don't speak spanish and can't set it up via the operator, but I doesn't hurt to ask.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    How about just turning on International Roaming? Is that cost-effective?
    I've also read about callback numbers? Is that also worth it?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    OK. I've turned on international, (supposedly) got the unlock code request out to be sent real soon... extra battery, dry bag for the beach... any other suggestions for travel?

Gracias.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Suntan lotion.
    Underwear.
    Spouse.
    waterproof bluetooth headset
    condoms
    sand...

Scratch the last one...
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Got back. They emailed me the unlock code, (I wonder how much data is going to kill me), put in a Telcel SIM from a shared phone, et voilą, it works. Not bad.

Anyone know how much data costs going through the third party SIM? If at all?

I brought the spouse. Didn't need underwear very much--whoops! TMI...
    Last edited by iomatic; 03/07/2006 at 03:52 PM.