Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Which is a better email program Snapper mail or Chatter mail
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrrell
    Which is a better email program Snapper mail or Chatter mail
    Depends on what your needs and wants are. For some Chatter is the way to go and others seem to love Snapper. I suggest you try both out and see what works for you. Each offers a 30 day (I think) free trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse
    Depends on what your needs and wants are. For some Chatter is the way to go and others seem to love Snapper. I suggest you try both out and see what works for you. Each offers a 30 day (I think) free trial.
    I was all ready to post a reply emphatically saying "CHATTER!!!" when I saw the post from rsprouse - who is absolutely right, of course. (Dang! I hate when that happens!!!) I used Snapper briefly a while back and it worked fine. I also know others who use it and like it a lot. But I like Chatter because you can get "push" email when using an IMAP server with the Idle command (I'm just Parroting words here, I don't really know what they mean). Chatter is relatively new but is being updated/upgraded constantly by it's creator, Marc Blank, who is exceptionally responsive. So it does depend on your needs and goals.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    I briefly tried snapper, but I like chatter. The "IDLE" push mode of IMAP is (put simply) a method by which the phone stays online all the time, using little or no bandwidth. When email arrives, the IMAP server notifies chatter (this is the purpose of "IDLE") and you receive your email instantly ... like a blackberry.

Note that this does have a negative impact on battery life.
    Even if you don't use push, Chatter is much better if you use IMAP (and i honestly don't understand why anyone would use POP for portable email.)
    the question should be search vs. no search
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I have been long time user of SnapperMail back to the Treo 300 days. When I got Treo 650 I continued to use SnapperMail because I thought it was better than the free Versamail at that time. I paid $$$ to upgrade to the Enterprise version to get both IMAP and SD Card support. I started to have problems after the total message got above 300 to 400 messages where it get and error and all messages were lost. The response from Snapper Support was to remove Snapper and restore it again and wait for the messages to upload again. The Snapper Support stated the problem was in the Treo 650 not their code. I then looked for email client that was built to run on the Treo 650 and selected Chatter. I have not looked back again. Note when looking for a replacement I did not factor in the Push or Background processing now can not live without it.
    I say for POP3 go with Snapper.

For IMAP go with Chatter.
    You really need to try both of them out and decide for yourself.
    I've purchased both and I'll say they are both excellent and both have they're annoying quirks. Both are quite powerful and full featured in their own ways.
    Both have support for both POP and IMAP and they do completely different jobs handling either, and different methods of handling attachments.
    Of the two, I'm currently using Snappermail with Yahoo POP mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    ...I'm currently using Snappermail with Yahoo POP mail.
    What is Yahoo POP mail? (I have an email account @yahoo.com -- thought it's web-based only)

On-topic: I tried both and liked Snapper better. Mainly because I don't use IMAP and don't like the idea of my Treo being permanently online.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    You can upgrade your Yahoo web based mail account to POP3.

http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/bm/Upgrades
    Quote Originally Posted by ScudB
    What is Yahoo POP mail? (I have an email account @yahoo.com -- thought it's web-based only)

On-topic: I tried both and liked Snapper better. Mainly because I don't use IMAP and don't like the idea of my Treo being permanently online.
    Yes, Yahoo is web based. However for $20 per year you can upgrade to "Yahoo! Mail Plus" which, among other things, gives you "Pop mail access."
    Details here: http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/help
    Once you have pop mail access, you can configure SnapperMail to retreive email from your Yahoo mail Inbox (only) to your Treo just like it any other standard pop mail box.
    Settings are here: http://help.yahoo.com/mail/pop/pop-03.html
    and here: http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm#19

Chatter Mail has a nice new installation wizard that takes care of this for you (just select Yahoo)
    Right, thanks guys.

I use my Yahoo account for online registrations only, so POP access is not really needed. In any case, I like Gmail much better, and it offers POP access for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScudB

If you're only using POP, Chatter is not always online. What would be the point of that?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    If you're only using POP, Chatter is not always online. What would be the point of that?
    Well, if you like Chatter more and some people do. Always-online is not the only benefit to Chatter. For one thing Chatter can log in to pop at intervals and retrieve mail in the background without ever interrupting you as Snappermail does (by taking over the interface.) Chatter also has a different method for rendering HTML email.
    Admittedly, always-on IMAP is one of the most compelling features of Chatter.

I just wish Yahoo would start offering IMAP so I could get to my mail folders (even if idle-push isn't supported.) I tried izymail but it SUCKS.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Well, if you like Chatter more and some people do. Always-online is not the only benefit to Chatter. For one thing Chatter can log in to pop at intervals and retrieve mail in the background without ever interrupting you as Snappermail does (by taking over the interface.) Chatter also has a different method for rendering HTML email.
    Admittedly, always-on IMAP is one of the most compelling features of Chatter.

I just wish Yahoo would start offering IMAP so I could get to my mail folders (even if idle-push isn't supported.) I tried izymail but it SUCKS.
    Well, since I only use Chatter, I'm well aware of it's benefits. My point was to Scud, specifically his statement:
    I tried both and liked Snapper better. Mainly because I don't use IMAP and don't like the idea of my Treo being permanently online.
    If he's using a POP account, Chatter isn't always online.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Just to clarify, using the "always on" function of Chatter with IMAP protocol, is using your data connection, so if I have a CDMA phone (which I do) I won't be able to receive incoming calls, correct?

-Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKnoop
    Just to clarify, using the "always on" function of Chatter with IMAP protocol, is using your data connection, so if I have a CDMA phone (which I do) I won't be able to receive incoming calls, correct?

-Mike
    Not exactly correct. Only if you are moving data. Keep in mind that with or without Chatter, if you have grey arrows above your signal meter, you are connected to Vision, but you can still recieve calls. Only when the arrows are green will they go to Voicemail.

(I guess I shouldn't say Vision, since you may not be Sprint, but same rule applies)

Not really. The always on feature really means that chatter is checking in the background. Calls will come through unless the little green arrows are solid (like if you got an email and then you told it to download a larger attachment.) Now this will vary depending on how many mailboxes you are syncing, etc.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I have no idea what would be the point of that. That fact is that I tried Chatter with just two POP accounts (no IMAP), and noticed that sometimes my Treo would try to establish GPRS connection when none of the programs should. I can tell you more: there is an option in Chatteremail to "shutdown and disconnect" (not sure for exact wording, can't find it in the manual btw) -- I tried that thinking that I would keep the program in "inactive" state for a while and then maybe try it again. Guess what: those mysterious connection attempts would still happen. They disappeared only when I deleted Chattermail from my Treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast