Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I really liked Chatter but found the battery drain to great to justify the fun of "push". With Chatter I sould maybe get 1 day out of a charge, now using Snapper I can streych battery life > 2 days.
    Hmm. Okay, so I'm a bit curious as to what's going on behind the scenes here with ChatterMail. This IMAP "IDLE" mode-- ChatterMail establishes an outbound TCP connection to your IMAP server, IDLE's it and then goes "dormant" while you can receive calls? How does this connection stay up? I'd imagine the TCP keepalive would timeout if you were doing, say, a 2 hour phone call with this running... thus dropping the IMAP link. Or am I missing something here?
    (I'm preferring a highly technical explanation here...)

I can understand a periodic poll of a POP3 or IMAP server, that makes perfect sense--app checks if the phone's in use, if not, it hijacks it for an 1xRTT connection to check mail. Fair enough.

A couple questions here though... from ChatterEmail's site, this FAQ: http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...d=44&Itemid=57
    "Tell me about battery drain on my Sprint/Verizon phone..."
    it mentions that after ChatterEmail uses the data connection, the radio stays on for at least a minute or so. Does this only mean what it says--that the *radio stays on* for a minute, but reading between the lines there, after data I/O is done (ie after it's ping'ed the IMAP server) you can still receive voice calls even though it's still experiencing that "lag period"?

Furthermore, in that same FAQ, I see "Further, the option to use an SMS trigger to initiate mail retrieval may also help significantly in improving battery life, especially for those who receive a relatively small load of e-mail."
    SMS trigger... how do those work with ChatterEmail? Wouldn't you need a program/daemon running on a desktop or server to monitor the IMAP link to send you the SMS alerts?
    Chatter sends the IDLE command to the server, and then waits (typically 8-10 minutes) before sending another IDLE command. Chatter detects broken data connections (as in after a long call), and reestablishes them.

The data session stays active on CDMA phones for about 10 seconds after the last activity; while the data session is active (green arrows), phone calls go to voice mail directly (I've corrected the FAQ; the reference to one minute was wrong). So sending/receiving one byte keeps the data session active as long as sending/receiving many K bytes. Don't ask me why; I have no idea.

As far as SMS goes, if your server is capable of sending an SMS message upon arrival of new messages, Chatter can be set to intercept that message and use it to trigger a sync.

Marc
  4.    #24  
    unfortunately I just found out that if I want to access my corporate email on my treo it must be via Versamail. They have our mail server setup to sync only with versamail, so I can not use either of the better programs out there... oh well
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Chatter sends the IDLE command to the server, and then waits (typically 8-10 minutes) before sending another IDLE command. Chatter detects broken data connections (as in after a long call), and reestablishes them.

The data session stays active on CDMA phones for about 10 seconds after the last activity; while the data session is active (green arrows), phone calls go to voice mail directly (I've corrected the FAQ; the reference to one minute was wrong). So sending/receiving one byte keeps the data session active as long as sending/receiving many K bytes. Don't ask me why; I have no idea.

As far as SMS goes, if your server is capable of sending an SMS message upon arrival of new messages, Chatter can be set to intercept that message and use it to trigger a sync.

Marc
    Ahh, ok. 10-15 seconds worth of "voice downtime" every 10 minutes (or more if you configure it) isn't too bad.
    and if using "push" email, is there any kind of notification? tone? vibrate? to alert you to a new email?
    Chatter offers LED, tone, vibrate, popup, and attention manager notifications. Custom tones and vibrate counts can be set per mailbox.

Marc
    I don't think there is any comparison. I used snapper for about 3 years. NOW, I HATE it. IT is always causing resets on the Treo. Runs my 650 out of memory pretty fast as well. People like to blame it on the new memory that the Treo has. i blame it on the developers that tell you that their product works great. Chatter wins hands down.I have 415 emails on my treo with chatter. I can't even find how much memory it takes up. Snapper on the other hand would have your treo rebooting after 200 or so.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12