1.    #1  
    Is there any company that is doing ram upgrades for the 650? I would love to have 128mb I would gladly pay for it. You would think after the memory complaints that some company would want to capitalize on this. I think I remember that some company offered a ram upgrade with the palm vx and even the treo 270.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    If the memory is hard wired onto the circuit board, might not be a viable business, plus there could be warranty issues.

However, I would be interested. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Well... you both have to remember that the 650 doesn't exactly have "RAM"

What do you want upgraded? The flash memory? It has 32 meg (minus the size of your "rom" load). The actual RAM in the unit (looks like "19" meg ... but maybe there is other RAM not listed by the tools I have) is divided so carefully that I'm not sure more RAM would be used without some form of OS patch.
    I suppose it would be possible to upgrade the memory, it's been done with PPC, but the whole deal with NVFS might change that. And of course, warranty issues = voided.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    My warranty is up in Feb. I would pay now to get more useable memory to run applications
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I remember the good old days when the Palm Vx could be upgraded and a company in Jersey would do the soldering to the board. It was an add-on of beauty.

I don't think it will be easy for the Treos for a variety of reasons. If Palm wanted to make this easy they could have. Their desire was to sucker you into yet another new Palm phone.
    I think spending your efforts on creating a new ROM with the apps you use, along with investing in software like PowerRun to move things to an SD card, is a better use of your time than trying to find someplace that will solder new memory into the treo.

In most situations, I think these two things will accomplish what you need.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Bottom Line: 1) PowerRun/ ZLauncher, etc will NOT solve the lack of RAM for "power" users. I use zLauncher (it's absolutely great), but there are a variety of apps, including some large medical apps, that simply require RAM. 2) I doubt anyone will come up with a way to increase RAM on the 650... I suspect it would have been done by now.

For some of us, this is *the* major limitation of the 650. If they would come up with a "Treo 660", exactly the same as the 650 but double the RAM, I'd buy it now... I realize we're in the minority, but it is an issue....
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Bottom Line: 1) PowerRun/ ZLauncher, etc will NOT solve the lack of RAM for "power" users. I use zLauncher (it's absolutely great), but there are a variety of apps, including some large medical apps, that simply require RAM. 2) I doubt anyone will come up with a way to increase RAM on the 650... I suspect it would have been done by now.
    Absolutely and I don't like using the term "power users" because people then assume it's a tiny percentage. I consider any PDA phone that costs $600 or more to be a "power phone" and should be equipped for business purposes. The 32MB of RAM -- which it is unheard of NOT to increase RAM from prior models -- is simply insufficient and some people here refuse to accept this as a fact. Their lovable Palm Treo 650 must the greatest and bestest phone on the planet.
    how about this? Upgrade the RAM to 96Mb, then install Windows Mobile 5 onto Treo650.

I had a dream.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    We will find out soon !!!!!
    Poweruser?

Goodlink alone takes more than half the available 23mb of ram and that cannot be run off a SD card.