1.    #1  
    I want to take my 650 apart and paint a different color. However I do not know the most efficient way of taking the thing apart. Also, what kind of paint do you suggest I use? Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Thanks for any tips.

Here is a thread on removing the camera, it shows you how to take the Treo apart. . . . . . . . any warranty issues?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...emoving+camera

Cheers, Perry
    I'm interested to hear about painting as the paint on my 5way has rubed off on the edge of the right arrow. I can see backlight through. I was thinking of trying some silver auto touch-up paint.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I sprayed the side pieces that are "slippery" chrome. I put 2 coats of that rubber plastic coat stuff... works great. I voided my warranty but at least my Treo won't slip out of my hand and fall on the floor again.

Make sure you do a good job of prepping. I used a sand blasting nozzel and compressesd air to remove the original finish, but used baking soda instead of sand and dropped the pressure to 60 psi. you can probably use 400-600 grit wet sandpaper also.

I also clipped about 1/16 of an inch off that crome piece by where the stylus get inserted and added an non-removable wrist lanyard by wrapping it around the screw boss. It helps keep your Treo in your hand.

I will try to post pictures later...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the link Perry, I appreciate it.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what kind of paint I'm going to use, but I think some spray paint that you can find in an auto shop would work? And yeah, this will probably void your warranty, you have seperate the case from every other part. This will be my first painting project, so any tips will be helpful. I don't know what color I want to paint it, but I'm thinking about a metallic blue like you see on a Mazda 3 but a little darker or a black/red combo.

Nonobeez

If I wanted to a full paintjob, including the pieces that you sprayed as well as the rest of the case, how would I prep it? I'd imagine it would have to be incredibly clean and dust free? How would you suggest I go about doing this?

rbenjami

After I finish, I will take pictures and write up a howto, I guess a good place to start would be googling for some resources who have done this kind of thing in the past. There was someone here who painted and modded a 270, I don't know if he's around any more though.

Here are the pictures I promised. Not a how-to but at least you can see the finished product.

http://www.geocities.com/arnoldo_b/treo1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/arnoldo_b/treo2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Well, I'm not exactly sure what kind of paint I'm going to use, but I think some spray paint that you can find in an auto shop would work?
    I would try using model paint that you can get from any hobby shop.
    nonobeez,
    That's pretty snazzy.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I dont see the pics,,,,Just the little red x

Can you fix the link or just upload them as attachments please, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    I would try using model paint that you can get from any hobby shop.
    Now that I have read about this, I am contemplating it with my 600. When you say model paint, are you implying the kind that you brush on? Or is there spray on model paint now? (I havent put together a model in many years.)

I would only want to do this one time...will the paint stay on?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

There is a spray on paint that goes with a little air brush. I think anything painted on with a bristle brush would look bad.
    http://www.internethobbies.com/inter...irbrushes.html
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Now that I have read about this, I am contemplating it with my 600. When you say model paint, are you implying the kind that you brush on? Or is there spray on model paint now? (I havent put together a model in many years.)

I would only want to do this one time...will the paint stay on?
    I think the key to the paint staying on is the prep work as preformed by nonobeez in post #4.

I just spray painted (without prep the work) an interchangeable cover on my daughter's Motorola cell phone (she wanted purple, which they did not sell) and after a month the purple started to scratch and rub off. Maybe some type of "clearcoat" as a second coat would have been a good bet.

Cheers, Perry
    Yes, yes primer is a must, and also I have found after painting cars and houses for awhile now that a major issue is getting the correct type of paint for the type of material to be painted.

An air brush gets better adhesion and 400 grit wet sand paper gets a smooth finish but then you have to buff the paint with a high speed lambskin buffer and definitely go with a clear coat

Seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Thanks for the pics. The lanyard isn't for me but the side panels give you a little bit more grip?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Yes, yes primer is a must, and also I have found after painting cars and houses for awhile now that a major issue is getting the correct type of paint for the type of material to be painted.

An air brush gets better adhesion and 400 grit wet sand paper gets a smooth finish but then you have to buff the paint with a high speed lambskin buffer and definitely go with a clear coat

Seriously
    ah, so for the painting-challenged, the $1.00 can of krylon is not going to cut it?

ah, so for the painting-challenged, the $1.00 can of krylon is not going to cut it?
    I resemble that remark! (Post 13)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair

Im not going to get to see this thing am I
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I resemble that remark! (Post 13)
    I actually fall into that group myself.

I was talking about using an airbrush to paint it like Tem linked to.

I haven't put together any models since I was about 13 or 14 and they always turned out to be a disater. I just didn't have the patience for it and would end up getting glue and paint everywhere or end up breaking the small parts. I would usually end up with fingerprints in the paint, because I didn't wait long enough for the paint to dry before attempting to put another coat on and the parts would stick to everything from having too much glue on them.

I did try to build another model when I was in my mid twenties, after thinking I had more patience for that type of thing. I took the time to use primer before painting and sand after each coat of paint. Things were going great until the third coat of paint was drying overnight and the freaking dog got out of his cage and chewed it to pieces. I haven't made anymore attempts since then.

If you have ever read Calvin & Hobbes, his attempt at building a model airplane just about sums it up for me.