Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am glad to hear you are alright after a wreck like that. Sorry I don't have any extra parts to send your way.
  2.    #22  
    dbradley you are the man!!! I got the stylus yesterday; perfect, perfect, perfect. Guys this fellow packed the stylus in two envelopes and bubble wrapped it inside them, I've purchaed electronic equipment that wasn't packed this well.

Thanks again man! And thanks also for the other replys. Once Sedio releases the two battery covers I will have a whole Treo again!
    Couldn't you just clone it like Master Shake did to the brownies ?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Couldn't you just clone it like Master Shake did to the brownies ?
    That dumb-*** f-ed up my cloner
    Ouch. Did that truck driver get cited for failing to stop? His insurance should pay for repairing your car! (or since this one is totalled, for replacing it).

If you rear-end someone in most states it's automatically your fault. You are responsible for observing what traffic in front of you is doing.

You look pretty cool in those sunglasses -- that's a great shot!
    Glad you are ok man.
    Is it possible to get a look at that Treo?
    I know...
    demonstrate in a picturesque fashion, the daring and resilience of the Treo!
    All hail the king!

(Treo 700p and w, I'll be with you in a moment)
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    Glad you are ok man.
    Is it possible to get a look at that Treo?
    Good idea, my camera flash got hosed in the wreck, but I'll go outside and snap a few pics. Back in a bit.

--EDIT-- So prepare to be amazed and bow before the durability of the Nutshell and the unlocked GSM Treo 650

The case after a bit of Doc Oil

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/9...5medium2zm.jpg

The back, I believe the back was run over seperatly from the phone.

http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/3...6medium8au.jpg

Here we can see where the little tabs in the bottom don't quite line up and stick in anymore

http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/4...7medium9al.jpg

The corner from the front

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3...8medium9dy.jpg

This tab broke off completely so no making it stay in on this side.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7...9medium6oy.jpg

And now the bit that slid on the concrete, I consider this to be trivial considering what it went through. It doesn't even make it feel rough when I talk on the phone.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6...0medium2wi.jpg

And a whole shot of the front, the piece de la resistance (or or whoever you spell that). Like I said; out the window, through the median, and across the east bound lane. I know for sure I would not have faired so well.

http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/9...1medium6sh.jpg

Be amazed at the power of Prayer and the build quality of Palm. I read about people dropping theirs while putting it in a pocket and the screen breaking, I don't get how mine ends up being the extreme, unbreakable, no limit Treo; but I'm sure not going to complain.
    Last edited by Fry-man22; 10/29/2005 at 11:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I believe you can get a new "cover" (the piece with the earpiece that surrounds the screen, 4-way button, softkeys, etc.). Just not sure where'd you go (Palm...?).

-josh
    I just noticed this thread shortly before reading your story. Sesio is now apparently selling a replacement battery cover!!! (with a reset hole)

Man, you are damn lucky! 55mph, semi, gaurdrail. That's ususally a lot worse. It's really something how forward momentum can change directtion in a crash and there is pretty much nothing you can do once it happens. I've seen skid marks zig or zag across the highway from time to time and I'd wonder what it was like for the driver. Many times, the cars bounce off the gaurd-rail and back onto the highway only to be hit again and then go off in yet another direction. I hope you are feeling better soon. God bless you. Here is the link to the thread talking about the Sedio battery cover:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98931

== Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/29/2005 at 11:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buran
    Ouch. Did that truck driver get cited for failing to stop? His insurance should pay for repairing your car! (or since this one is totalled, for replacing it).

If you rear-end someone in most states it's automatically your fault. You are responsible for observing what traffic in front of you is doing.

When I was younger my father had a medium-duty truck that I often drove (very cautiously). Driving a truck is nothing like driving a car. They are not agile at all. My dad's was hard to steer and you could easily go into a spin by hitting the brakes hard, not to mention you lost brake pressure each time you pumped the brakes. I'm not making a judgment whether the trucker was at fault or not (and I've seen may truckers who were poor and dangerous drivers), but you need to understand the physics of the situation. The truck likely had little he could do to change his/her direction. I wish they would drive more defensively than they do. I also wish all drivers could experience how hard it is to stop a truck in an emergency stopping situation (via some sort of simulator). Tractor trailers are even harder than my dad's dump truck was. The truck driver may have been at fault, or not paying attention, but [s]he was doing 55-60MPH [s]he was likely not driving wrecklessly either.

--
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by lindros2
    I believe you can get a new "cover" (the piece with the earpiece that surrounds the screen, 4-way button, softkeys, etc.). Just not sure where'd you go (Palm...?).

-josh

Does anyone have an this front cover or know where to get it? I dropped mine on the road and its scratched. Thanks for any help.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Buran
    Ha, I just noticed this part of your post, thanks! I'll swear by Oakley sunglasses at this point as well considering they came through without a scratch and I was wearing them when I hit the rail and found them in the back set when I went to the wrecker yard (they went down between the passenger seat back and the “seat” part when that buckled from the car being mashed.

I really should have yielded when I was trying to merge guys, the trucker sped up and closed the door on me which he shouldn't have done, but at the end of the day it's the dude with the yield sign who's got to make allowances for the situation. Yes, if he would have given me 3 feet he doesn't have to give a police report and I don't take a trip to the hospital, this one was really on me according to the letter of the law.

On the other hand I've been in the left lane before and a trucker will almost kill me getting over to let another 18-wheeler merge so that makes him speeding up in a construction area that much harder to take the blame for. Put it this way, I would have let anyone else over in that situation. I know he saw me because I know he sped up. That's why I make the comment that he clipped me, I was committed to going at that point and couldn't back out and he decided to hang me out to dry.

The guy did at least stop and he must have slowed down once he hit me because he didn’t plow over me. That is what I thought was going to happen, I thought I was going to get sideways and then he was going to just crush the car. Maybe all that turning in the direction of the skid did do something.

This all gets back to the Dominant Vehicle Theory-- "He who has the most mass has the right of way". Anything but a train loses to an 18-wheeler, even the Fry-man .
    This was obviously one of the unprofessional trucker variety. If he works for a carrier, be sure to write and call the company and explain what happened. I also hope you have or will put what you said here in the police report. Also, you should call or write to your congressmen and those in the state where the accident occurred if it differs from where you live. I think the trucker would have preferred not to hit you but to be 1 foot or less off your bumper or to nudge/push you, but as I said before, even medium duty trucks are not agile enough to do this. Most likely, the trucker is an independent and couldn't give a damn about who they hit. I spent my hight-school and college days living near I-70 in western PA and I know how the truckers can be. It's good that you made it out alive and as you said, that you hadn't been hit a second time as you rotated across the highway. I've made many bad judgements too over my years of driving and God and my Guardian Angel have been looking out for me. The being smart enough to predict what the other driver will do ends up getting us in trouble when the other driver doesn't do what they're supposed to do. You've learned a lot. Too bad the trucker hasn't learned to respect the responsibility that goes with carrying the weight the he does on the road.

regards,
    --
    Bob
    Yeah, I do know the physics of big trucks (I'm a science and car geek as well as a tech geek) and it looked fishy to me that a truck would just plow into you and your statement that the driver actually sped up prior to ramming you just confirms my suspicion that the driver didn't act properly. "Very little chance to change direction"? There's always "hit the brakes and spin the wheel" but instead he chose to NOT spin that wheel and to jam the accelerator.

Sure, you're merging, but you're also in front of him; and that made it HIS fault, NOT yours, when he slammed into you from behind. Proper reaction: Slow down or change lanes. Never speed up and rear-end a merging vehicle even if your ego doesn't like the fact that you'll be behind them rather than their being behind you!

In any case I'm rambling a little... I blame it on the fact that I can't stand people who think it's their $deity-given right to speed or drive however erratically they like -- and I live in St. Louis where driving laws and speed limits seem to be interpreted as suggestions! Grrarrr.

Again, glad you didn't get hurt even more! I just found out a friend here got in a mild wreck on Friday, and if I find out a semi did it, the Semi Rear-Ending Trifecta will be in play ...
    You should consider offering Palm the rights to your story in exchange for a brand spanking new Treo. They could show off their build quality and you get a new device, one that doesn't constantly remind you of a bad situation.

It would be win-win all around, I think.

Glad to hear you're mostly ok and thanks for sharing the story.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12