Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I've been using both Palm and Macs for over a decade, but I don't claim to be an expert.

So, what's the best procedure in regards to the Palm, to move up to a new Mac? I don't think I'll be using the Migration Assistant; I'll be installing my suites and apps one by one. I don't think I want to carry any detritus over from my previous machine (I only used one folder for my projects, and everything else scattered in my Home folder could be simply backed up to DVD).

I'm concerned about .Mac, iSyncing and already-stored-info on the Treo and the dreaded duplication. What are people's thoughts on the simplest, easiest, pain-free solution to migrating to a new Mac with a currently-used Palm?

(I know the saying: fast, cheap, or good; pick two.)

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    What are people's thoughts on the simplest, easiest, pain-free solution to migrating to a new Mac with a currently-used Palm?
    I recently reloaded (started from scratch) all of my applications on my PB. The best way I found to re-load my PIM information and get my Palm re-syncing is to load Palm desktop, or MissingSync, and then open up the HotSync manager set all of the conduits to "Palm overrides Desktop".'

This is the best way that I've found to avoid duplication and re-establish syncing.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Good thinking. That's exactly the info I needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I recently reloaded (started from scratch) all of my applications on my PB. The best way I found to re-load my PIM information and get my Palm re-syncing is to load Palm desktop, or MissingSync, and then open up the HotSync manager set all of the conduits to "Palm overrides Desktop".'

This is the best way that I've found to avoid duplication and re-establish syncing.
    That's the best policy if you don't want to use the Migration software. Honestly, when I upgraded to my new PowerBook I backed up to a Firewire drive and tried the Migration software, which worked perfectly. I really was pleasantly surprised.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    open up the HotSync manager set all of the conduits to "Palm overrides Desktop".'
    Having used palms with my mac since OS 7 or 8 this is exactly what i would suggest.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I haven't even gotten this far since something in my install yesterday is interfering with sleep and causing spinning-beach-ball-after-wake-with-no-Airport-connections... sigh. I reinstalled the OS from scratch, and so far the Bluetooth mouse is waking the machine from sleep (which I've resolved), and it's reconnecting fine. I suspect it's Palm Desktop, but I can't be sure yet.
    http://www.macosxhints.com/ has lots of nice stuff regarding problems.

Also, you might look at CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. The migration software is very nice and saves quite a bit of time. But like you said, sometimes a clean start is nice.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    A clean start again, is nice. I've had zero problems reinstalling the OS once again and some apps.

I have no idea what application(s) is (are) causing that issue; but I've added RAM (to 1.5GB) and kept installs to a bare minimum. I'm loving the setup; I would buy another external just to have this nice pristine OS as a backup.

BTW, 10.4.3 is speedy!!! Yay!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Getting back to the advice on how to move Palm data to the new Mac. I don't think it's possible to (easily) have your Treo overwrite the Mac. I know this is an option on the PC. I gave up trying to sync to my Macs because of this. I'm at work now, but I'll see if I can dig up my email from Missing Sync explaining the issue when I get home.
    It's very easy. Just set up your conduit in either missing sync or Palm Conduit manager to overwrite computer. I think it's called something else if you are using isync.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    On a Mac? I know you can do it on a Windows machine, but I don't think you can (easily) on a Mac.
    _______
    Here's some info from Missing Sync's help pages:

The iSync conduit does not have the option to have the handheld overwrite the Macintosh, or the other way around to have the Macintosh overwrite the handheld like other conduits. But there is a way to effectively make this happen:

***THESE STEPS APPLY TO MISSING SYNC FOR PALM OS*** For steps for Missing Sync for Windows Mobile, see: http://support.markspace.com/?kb=2392

To have the Macintosh overwrite the handheld:

1. Open iSync and click on the device in question.
    2. Click on the 'Devices' menu and choose 'Remove Device'
    3. Go back to Missing Sync and double click on the iSync conduit
    4. Enable iSync for the device.
    5. Go back to iSync and see the device

In iSync there will be an option listed for the first sync. The dropdown list gives you the choices of:

Merge data on computer and device
    -or-
    Erase data on device then sync

Then choose the 'Erase data on device then sync' option. This will only erase data on the device that is synced during this initial sync. It will not touch any other applications on the device. Also, if in iSync you uncheck the syncing of Calendars or Contacts, whichever you uncheck will NOT be synced and it will not be erased and synced on the device.

To have the handheld overwrite the Macintosh:

To start this process...close both Address Book and iCal and

1. Do a search on your hard drive for .ics files and move them to a safe place, like a temp folder you create on your Desktop.
    2. Go to: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/ and move the contents of that location to a safe place, like before...possibly on your desktop.
    3. Now open both iCal and Address Book.

Now reset iSync. This isn't so easy with iSync, but these are steps:

1. Open iSync and click on the device in question.
    2. Click on the 'Devices' menu and choose 'Remove Device'
    3. Go back to Missing Sync and double click on the iSync conduit
    4. Enable iSync for the device.
    5. Go back to iSync and see the device

There will be an option listed for the first sync. The dropdown list gives you the choices of:

Merge data on computer and device
    -or-
    Erase data on device then sync

You need to choose 'Merge data on computer and device' if you don't you will loose all of your data...so be careful about this.

Now sync.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    So… if you don't do this (seeing that I've already used .Mac to sync my Mac's Address Book and iCal), will this dupe stuff on the Treo if I install Palm software on the Mac? The PowerBook is running so smoothly without it...! Ah, but to sync again...
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    The problem I was having was that the sync would just never complete properly. Did it work for you? Did you get duplicate records?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    No. Haven't synced yet... they are getting more and more disparate-- information wise. I've emailed Mark/Space, and they seem to think that MissingSync will merge the data fine. I'm skeptical. At least, I can overwrite from .Mac to my PowerBook, if there's a problem. But that would mean de-duping on the Treo, again, if there's a problem. It's all hypothetical until I try, but MissingSync always seemed so "hack"-ey in their implementation. Only question I have regarding this is if you do a Bluetooth sync, can you set up a profile to sync minimal amounts of stuff?
    Well, I know you said you didn't want to use the Migration Assistant, but I just changed from a 5 year old Powerbook G4 to a brand spanking new one and Migration Assistant worked perfectly on all the Palm stuff, I didn't have to do anything to get the new machine to hotsync to my 650. Plus all of my calendars, contacts, memos, etc. transferred without a glitch. Highly recommended.

Same thing applies to all my other applications - Migration Assistant made the computer upgrade almost too easy.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    No. Haven't synced yet... they are getting more and more disparate-- information wise. I've emailed Mark/Space, and they seem to think that MissingSync will merge the data fine. I'm skeptical. At least, I can overwrite from .Mac to my PowerBook, if there's a problem. But that would mean de-duping on the Treo, again, if there's a problem. It's all hypothetical until I try, but MissingSync always seemed so "hack"-ey in their implementation. Only question I have regarding this is if you do a Bluetooth sync, can you set up a profile to sync minimal amounts of stuff?

I'm fairly sure that you can set up a profile to sync just the things you want (bluetooth or wired in). That's what I was doing previously with the old version before I gave up, and what I plan to do now with MS 5. My initial goal was to change over from syncing with a PC to a Mac. With all the difficulty I have had, my goal is now to be able to transfer my contacts to my address book on the Mac, and maybe my calendars--and then use .mac with Address Book and iCal.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Yup. Works great!