Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I dropped my Treo 650 last night. Height of about 3.5 feet tops. I put the battery back in it fires up no big deal. Except I cannot make or recieve phone calls. The phone will not leave airplane mode. I have tried soft resets, hard resets, dropping it again. I took it into Sprint today to have it looked at. The tell me there is corrosion on the power connection port and that they cannot warranty the phone. I have never had the phone near water, so I don't know where that would have come from, but they wouldn't even look at it any further after deciding it had corrosion. They give me Palm's number, I call them and they tell me to give them a credit card and then we can begin trouble shooting. I got a little pissed and explained to them I didnt need to troubleshoot, I just needed to send the phone in for repairs. I said I know I have a 1 year warrenty and I want to send it in and see if I qualify for it to be fixed for free, otherwise I want to know the cost of repair. She told me to call Sprint Tech support. This is pissing me off. I called tech last night, was told to go to a store for diagnostics and now was told to call Palm who sent me back to tech.

Yes it was my fault the phoine stopped working.
    No I never got it wet.
    Yes I was willing to pay for repairs, but apparently Palm refuses to do them for Sprint because they have some agreement BS.

I am tempted to take it apart and poke around a little. I just hate to open it and void what may have been warrantied. Is there a warrenty void sticker?

Next delema. Is I have a 2000 minute plan that includes a free 2nd line, which I finally activated today. N&W at 7PM, Unlimited Vision and SMS on the first line. $100 even for this plan. I am considering giving it up though and switching carriers. I want a PPC6700, but do not qualify for and subsidies even though I have never actually recieved one. (Problem with BestBuy and my Treo600 and then didint get one when I bought the 650 outright for $630 last year.) If I buy the 6700 and activate it as my 2nd line, I have to wait 30 days before I can ESN swap to the main line. Then I still have the delima of not having a working phone for the 2nd line.

What are my options? Is it safe to open the phone? Is it better for me just to go to say T-Mobile and get a RAZR and just buy the 6700(apache or whatever its GSM counterpart is called) outright which is what I am going to end up having to do it seems with Sprint.

Thanks
    Lonzo
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    My experience with Sprint customer service has been unproductive. You are better off bringing your phone to your local Sprint store for service. Also, you will be surprised that your request is accepted at one store while the same request is rejected at another.
  3. sns
    Hi,

I would open it up, solder/change whatever is required (if I have enough experience in that and, since I'm a man - I have to have some experience in this).
    If not - I would go to the first repair shop that deals with such things and pay them to do that for me.

On the other hand, if a company is not willing to repair it - they will find 1000 reasons not to do it unless You will have enough nerves to make them to do so, so don't be shy or try and repair it yourself.

Sometimes an angry customer that is really willing to sue the retailer is not worth replacing the device!
    Corrosion on the connectors can be addressed with a bit of rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. I would try cleaning off any corrosion and then taking it back to Sprint. When you take it back take it back strong, you now know you have fixed the corrosion and even if they being it up tell them you are not having a charge or a sync issue and that the issues are mutually exclusive from the symptom they are refusing the warranty for. Tell them unless they can site how the corrosion would affect the radio without affecting the charge and sync then you don't want to hear any more BS, you want a new phone. Someone once posted "Never under estimate the re-occuring revenue you represent". This is very true, point out to them that they will lose your $60 a month (probably more) which would pay for a warranty phone in 4 months and they would not be pushing business to a competitor. Just go in expecting a fix, and KNOWING you deserve one (even if you don't) and you should get one.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    $60 a month, pssh try $110 with taxes. I dont know that I am ready to sue anyone, but I am serieosly hacked off abou this whole thing. The radio and the connector are completely different. Do you think the same store or a different store is a better choice? Any other thoughs? How about taking it apart will it void my warrenty?
    I've been with Sprint for years and it matters who you talk to. You need to talk to the Store or Assistant Store Manager, you need to be firm but polite, and it helps if you are a business customer. If you really didn't drop it in the water they should warranty it, mine has been replaced 4 times and they have not given me any hassle.

btw - this doesn't seem like it is Palm's fault. Why are they "worthless"?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Palm is worthless because they try to charge you $25 for phone support and because they will not fix it. ABSOLUTELY would not fix it.
    I think a different store, and don't mention the other issue because it's not an issue unless they make it one. If they do mention it then use the stance in my last post. I would not take the phone apart just because you shouldn't have to. $110 a month is even better, they probably pay less than that for a refurb Treo so you have a good leg to stand on.
    Maybe because the warranty is through Sprint? The only time I have ever had to contact Palm for support they had no issues helping me, but that was a couple of years ago and things change...

http://www.palm.com/us/support/conta...#treo650sprint
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    I've found that the best way to get my phone replaced with Sprint was to use the Sprint warranty. Tell them it was stolen or smashed by a car and pay the $35 for a new one.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Taking it apart would void the warranty. If you take out your battery, you'll see the ESN and S/N sticker, there's a screw underneath that that you need to remove to open the Treo. Unless you're really good with stickers, wouldn't reccomend opening it if you're concerned about the warranty.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    ls3mach, I am not sure why you are upset. You dropped your phone and broke it. Neither Palm nor Sprint owe you anything. I am sure that you own a car, if you ran your car into a wall would you expect the maker of your car or the dealership to fix your car for free? Also when you purchase a vehicle and you need something fixed that is under warranty you take it to the dealer and they fix the problem, this is the case with sprint. Palm makes the phone for sprint but all repairs and service is done through sprint. My suggestion is to be angry with yourself, yell at yourself, call yourself worthless. Then contact sprint and take it in for service. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Yes I was willing to pay for repairs, but apparently Palm refuses to do them for Sprint because they have some agreement BS.

That is the problem. Neither Sprint nor Palm will repair it. If I buy a Toyota and it breaks even if I have to pay to get it fixed. Toyota WILL fix it.

I dont really feel Sprint owes me anything. I am primarily upset with Palm, what company puts out a $600 product that they will not fix? Yes I realize HTC makes it, but I dont see an HTC logo on it, I see a Palm logo and they tell me that I have $600 PDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierce02
    ls3mach, I am not sure why you are upset. You dropped your phone and broke it. Neither Palm nor Sprint owe you anything. I am sure that you own a car, if you ran your car into a wall would you expect the maker of your car or the dealership to fix your car for free? Also when you purchase a vehicle and you need something fixed that is under warranty you take it to the dealer and they fix the problem, this is the case with sprint. Palm makes the phone for sprint but all repairs and service is done through sprint. My suggestion is to be angry with yourself, yell at yourself, call yourself worthless. Then contact sprint and take it in for service. Good luck.
    Well said.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Go to the PPC6700 since neither company will warranty a dropped phone. Will probably cost you less than fixing the T650.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    That is the problem. Neither Sprint nor Palm will repair it. If I buy a Toyota and it breaks even if I have to pay to get it fixed. Toyota WILL fix it.

I dont really feel Sprint owes me anything. I am primarily upset with Palm, what company puts out a $600 product that they will not fix? Yes I realize HTC makes it, but I dont see an HTC logo on it, I see a Palm logo and they tell me that I have $600 PDA.
    Please take your $3500 plasma TV and drop it on the floor. You will not get service from the from the maker or whomever sold the TV to you. You will need to find a third party provder who repairs TVs or you will need to buy a new one. That is the same case here either find a third party who can fix your phone or buy a new one. Palm, HTC, and Sprint do not owe you anything.
    Take it to Sprint, tell them it stopped working. You don't have to mention the drop, and make sure to clean off the corrosion first. If the same guy is there, go to someone else. If they don't help you, escalate it to the store manager. I don't know how Sprint deals with their hardware, but with Cingular, after the first 30 days they can't help you at the stores. They give you an 800 number to call, you give them your credit card info, they send you a refurbished replacement, and a pre-paid mailer to return the bad unit. They charge your credit card if you don't return the defective phone within a certain time range. We had to do this when my wife's Samsung stopped working.....of course the dog knocking it into the pool had something to do with that ;-)