1.    #1  
    My company changed carriers from Sprint to Verizon (VZ) a couple of months ago, and so I ebayed my Sprint Treo 650 and exchanged it for what I was told would be a much better "state of the art" phone, the Samsung i730 running Windows Mobile 2003 SE. Well in some ways the phone is better, but in the ways that I came to rely on my smart phone it is not up to snuff. Specifically, internet Push features, such as Push eMail with Snappermail and the seamless way that Verichat was able to punch through to my phone via SMS when I was "offline" and how I was able to respond and automatically login to the Verichat servers to resume a conversation seem to be lost luxuries. I purchased Verichat (VC) for Windows mobile, and have been using it, but it rarely, if ever punches through to send me an SMS message when someone sees me online and sends me an IM. Sometimes, when I open the program a day or two later, I recieve messages sent to me from a day or two previously. It's hard to tell exactly when messages have been sent, since unlike the Palm version, the WM version doesn't offer time and date stamp.

I then began debating this with my Sprint Treo Network using FC, and he tells me that the problem is limitations with Windows Mobile. All along, I have thought that the problems are related to the poor meshing of internet and cell service offered by VZ and/or perhaps the fact that the PDA Apps people have neglected the Windows Mobile version and have not paid enough attention to the Windows Mobile edition. For example, my PalmOS version of VC seemed to upgrade itself every few weeks, while I have had this Windows Mobile version for over three months and not one upgrade has been released When I have reached out to their support people regarding the problems with the Windows Mobile version, they claim it should work and deny any issue with their software.

So my questions for you all as I ponder what to do next: (1) Does anyone who uses the treo 600 or 650 on the VZ network have VC experience the problems with getting messages while the program is not active that I have described above? and (2) Has anyone used a Windows Mobile OS running phone on Sprint that has experienced the problems that I have described?
  2.    #2  
    wow, i thought a ton of you would have experienced VC on VZ. I guess not
    I think the lack of response is probably due to a couple of things:

1. Not too many i730 users out there, in general.
    2. Definitely not many i730 users peruse the TreoCentral forums.
    3. I'd guess that most Treo users on therse boards are early adopters, and as a function of that, are probably mostly using Sprint and/or Cingular, since VZ was late to the game with both the 600 and the 650.

All those things combine to deliver not much response to your questions.

Now - having said that, I use a VZ 650 along with Verichat, and have no issues at all. I was a Sprint user for a long time (on a 300, then a 600), using Verichat, and I've been a VZ user for over a year now with my 650, and have experienced pretty much the same usability for my VZ device as I did with my Sprint devices.

So I'd say the strange things you're seeing are likely due to the i730....
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I think the lack of response is probably due to a couple of things:

1. Not too many i730 users out there, in general.
    2. Definitely not many i730 users peruse the TreoCentral forums.
    3. I'd guess that most Treo users on therse boards are early adopters, and as a function of that, are probably mostly using Sprint and/or Cingular, since VZ was late to the game with both the 600 and the 650.

All those things combine to deliver not much response to your questions.

Now - having said that, I use a VZ 650 along with Verichat, and have no issues at all. I was a Sprint user for a long time (on a 300, then a 600), using Verichat, and I've been a VZ user for over a year now with my 650, and have experienced pretty much the same usability for my VZ device as I did with my Sprint devices.

So I'd say the strange things you're seeing are likely due to the i730....
    No problem with T600 running VC on Sprint.
    No real problems running Verichat with Verizon here.